Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Conspiracy Theories Are a Form of Domestic Terrorism?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,855 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

How does everyone feel about the FBI proclamation that "conspiracy theories are a form of domestic terrorism?" Is it going to be the camps for those who question any official government/mass media/scientific public position?

• Coopdog likes this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,618 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:28 AM

This proclamation will prove to be the best fodder for conspiracy theories that the government has provided us with in years!

Now we just need to figure out which ones are real and which ones are chaff.

Which is to say that nothing has really changed thanks to this announcement, except maybe more people will assume or conclude that the FBI is involved in nefarious conspiracies. Which is true, and has been well-documented.

But not all conspiracies are true. Significant efforts are being made by interested parties with vested interests (the primary source of most actual conspiracies, ironically) to muddy the waters as to which is which, so 'round and 'round We the Serfs go, patiently waiting on that goddamned asteroid or giant solar flare to get off its metaphorical ass and press the big Reset button on civilization, though we'll probably just end up spending the next couple of thousand years doing this all over again.

In any case I don't think it does any LE agency any good to continue diluting the meaning of a term like 'terrorism' like this as it inevitably also dilutes people's visceral response to hearing it as well as the FBI's credibility when applying it.

"Oh, so the FBI said you're a terrorist? Do you mean that they didn't like your politically or ideologically-oriented website? Or that you were intending to murder a lot of people for political or ideological reasons?"

This kind of thing is not helping, though it's not clear that "helping" is the goal.

In any case "conspiracy theorists" are not a threat unless one feels threatened by someone who conducts research (hmm...). Those who intentionally manipulate people into committing violent acts (for whatever reason) ARE a genuine and tangible threat, however.

"This one time, at FEMA camp..."

• crazy1 and Coopdog like this

#3 ToxicEnigma

ToxicEnigma

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

So questioning a corrupt government is terrorism now, but a president publicly inciting racism and violence is patriotic. Welcome to the great American dumpster fire!
And here I was hoping for for a robot uprising complete with packs of feral roombas. At least I have free room and board in a gated community to look forward to.

#4 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

I would agree that it is likely an over reach of government power, like the patriot act. It is done with the interest of trying to stop these lone gun nuts. But ends up giving the government too much power. Who decides what is fake news, propaganda, or conspiracy, now? The misinformation age in full swing

Likely we will disagree about conspiracies as I am a pretty big skeptic. But I do think there is some small truths peppered into most conspiracies. To me most of it is harmless, not my concern what people choose to watch and consume on the internet. That is their business. But you do see some misguided people, who let it consume their lives. It becomes a sort of obsession.

Should we punish the masses for this behavior. Certainly not

On the extreme end, there can be a dark side to conspiracy minded people. When coupled with schizophrenia especially. Pepper in some loneliness and depression. These conspiracy theories feed into their schizophrenia and paranoia, making things worse.

Edited by flashingrooster, 19 September 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#5 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,490 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

So...by "domestic terrorism", they are clearly delineating between that and the exported state-sponsored terrorism of the sort that has been wrought upon Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Syria? And...is that Iran I see on the horizon? Interesting how the heat on Trump has been turned up to coincide with the his discussion of Afghan troop withdrawal and peace talks with Iran.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!