2139 replies to this topic

#2041 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys, sorry about the confusion with my pictures, they are definitely NOT PANS and I realized what happened.  Obviously I thought I was growing PANS, which everything pointing to, so thin sub and thin casing and Penis Envy didn't like the high FAE environment AT ALL(PE and PANS don't mix).  This is why they looked all funky and mutated.  Long Story short, I stripped all the fruits and added a thicker casing layer since I had some already on tap and I threw the trays in an old Mono tub I use for all kinds of projects(Reishi).  Anyway, my source is going to make it up to me, but the good news is this is a very fast colonizing PE variety(which I like to grow as well).  Am I a little bummed, yeah sure, but I'm an optimistic person and see things as half FULL.  The good news is, he's going to send out the PAN syringe and I'm going to grab the Cinctulus while I'm at it.  I wanted to get a run or two in before I shutdown for Summer, but it's not looking promising.  I may have to wait until FALL which is fine since I already shutdown the Cannabis tent in April and it's FUN in the SUN time for me.  Enjoy the fruits of my labor situation.  That's how I DO.  All the best ya'll, my apologies, I guess the PE and Homestead PE will have to due for the Summer(Also have some AA+ and TAZ, I'll be alright).   :cool:

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2042 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 10:56 AM

Are you sure those are pans? Look more cube like to me. 

Haven't grown much pans, but the brown cap was a dead giveaway, even the stem has the cube ruffles

We're you using an automated setup, or martha? It's hard to dial that in especially when trying to grow pans that are cubes LOL

Anywho, with real pans. Moving wildcoast from the fridge to lime pasteurized horse and alpaca manure &coir. Eyeballed it as I usually do and did 10% manure to 90% coir, missed that real shit texture as I had been playing with black kow in past.

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 May 2021 - 11:02 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#2043 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 01:07 PM

Yeah a Martha that does well with blocks and trays that require good FAE.  The fat stems were a dead giveaway and once I had fruits that weren't mutated it was clear as day that they are PE.  No spores and helmet or hat like Caps(white outer edge on cap).  I knew something was off pretty fast with those thick stems(and CRASHING thru the casing).  Here I am thinking it's not a Florida Pan and it's NOT a PAN at all.  Straight FAIL.   :tongue:

All good... Mistakes Happen and I'm not one to get upset with this hobby.  Sooner or LATER you WILL be humbled!   :meditate:

Edited by MushLuvR, 13 May 2021 - 01:09 PM.

#2044 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

Outdoor sun took a beating by rain. Lost the casing. Still has some side pins maturing. It’s been getting watered with anything laying around like coffee ground jar I use to collect them for the composter and even a bit of green compost tea I was measuring ph with that sat outside. It’s interesting that through all of this no other fungus has seemed grow even though the sun itself was contaminated. It does now smell like straight up poop though. Literally. Has some coffee in there too. It’s an interesting experiment
  • YoshiTrainer and rockyfungus like this

#2045 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 18 May 2021 - 01:41 PM

Are you doing a humidity dome or  shade? That tends to give me the best luck. Been waiting for my outdoor patches to pop. Nothing so far but all the field mushrooms are full force. 

This years manure seems way too fresh compared to years past. After a lime bath it has a strong ammonia smell. Grain is taking over real manure slower then the black kow/straw/coir mix. Hopefully it starts cooking once the ambient temperature picks up in my home. 

#2046 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2021 - 10:01 PM

Not at this point. I was propping a little bucket so it air could mix and blow through sometimes. Any water dumped on it, slugs pulled out. I am so far past tender care, I do bring it in the garage if bad weather is expected. It’s still going, lots of development in fruit size while I was at work. I might case it with nonsterile compost and see if it does anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2EB4692A-EB87-4192-B35B-ADFB8592CA82.jpeg

• YoshiTrainer and angam like this

#2047 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:15 AM

Hopefully I’m not annoying anybody with this, if so let me know and I’ll put these somewhere else. These are Jambos completely done outside basically just moving the tray around and trying to protect it from weather and slugs. It produced well despite a competing mold contamination inside. It’s been outdoors for 2 weeks give or take. Temps have been as right as they’ll be for pans. My FC is shut down for now and I’m playing with outdoors while we have the weather for it. The Jambo looks different outside. It shows the stress and none have gone fully upturned/flat yet. I’ve harvested a very wet 13g to date off of this tray since moving it outside. They tend to be wetter fruits since they are basically being bottom watered. I lost the casing to a heavy downpour despite the tree cover. I had coarse coffee grounds that stuck to the jar when I poured them in the compost tumbler so I used that jar full of rain water to pour over the sub. It left a slight casing of coffee grounds. I have read that coffee grounds make effective slug and insect deterrents outside and have been dumping them around my hedges where I have some cube subs buried for a few weeks and anecdotally it seems to work. They may be fungi deterrents also, I can’t say yet. The experiment is to see what the outdoor pan sub might do with a coffee ground casing. Just dumped on the dirt under my hedges I may have seen some cube myc start in on them after a week or so, but outdoors they don’t mold over and what not like you’d expect in say a FC or collection vessel indoors. Continuing to compost straw and coffee and play with that to see what sort of sub it makes. It certainly has perfect texture.

Attached Thumbnails

• B8111FE3-7917-4A23-A29B-0811CCA73205.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 20 May 2021 - 02:14 PM.

• bezevo, YoshiTrainer, angam and 1 other like this

#2048 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

Those are some tough mushrooms!
  • Jrotten and MushLuvR like this

#2049 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2021 - 02:11 PM

Those are some tough mushrooms!

They really are. And they are prolific. They are a great first pan species and variety.
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2050 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:57 PM

The straw partially composted with coffee experiment seems to be moving after all. One of the LC bags moved though I didn’t see it at first. I’ll probably tray the bag soon. I also did a little experimenting with rinsing the composted straw and straining it in a paint strainer. I then did two blasts in the microwave which is basically a quick 190F, allowed to fall to room temperature and done again. This was added to used spawn jars. Since I work in a hood and the spawn was colonized I got some really interesting growth, I added varying amounts of the compost to see if they’ll colonize. I have plenty of access to manure, but I’m really curious to see what I can do with alternate nitrogen sources. At least some of the jars seem to be grabbing the compost despite the jars being left for weeks to dry out. These will be fun experiences. I should probably make some plates and spawn up for playing with,
  • bezevo, Asura, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2051 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 614 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

Nice man. I am running some new experiments now myself. I see some promise. Not quite ready to share, but hopefully soon.

• Jrotten, SporeyMF, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#2052 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

I’m looking forward to see what you have going. I trayed the Pan TX LC on the compost, it’s a bit heavy being bit wet and it’s deep being almost a full turkey tin, but on day 2 it looks to be fuzzing out well and it seems to have colonized pretty well in the bag which was at the very least deeper with less air. It is totally grainless. With it willing to colonize, the aggressive and prolific nature of the variety to date and a deeper wetter sub, I have higher hopes than I started with.

I really worked this bag over and crumbled it fine after I had already mixed it up and let it lay flat for a few days. Recovery at least superficially doesn’t seem an issue, I might not should have cracked it for the picture, but it’s either low nutrient and mostly colonized and recovering or it’s not. The TX has proven a fighter and will out produce Jambos for the same effort. Not as pretty as a Jambo or Wild Coast though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 44A95D85-9ADE-4086-9651-256F0A56F365.jpeg
  • FDA7D4C3-FC21-48F3-A287-DFE777D272C1.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 24 May 2021 - 10:54 PM.

• Asura, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2053 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,231 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2021 - 02:01 PM

Ho'o Kipa, my first pan in months. It got tired of waiting for me to move it to the FC, so it started fruiting on its own. Hopefully a good sign for the rest of my pan season!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210524_235619.jpg

• Jrotten, Asura, rockyfungus and 2 others like this

#2054 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:32 PM

What's everyone experience with dried pans? Today I tried a dried gram and I wasn't overwhelmed just expected more. Was very visual for the low dose.

Edited by rockyfungus, 25 May 2021 - 09:33 PM.

#2055 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 09:57 PM

Congrats on your recent grow, Jrotten!

Day before yesterday I made my first batch of agar. I used a homemade loop and inoculated two of the agar cups with a drop of multispore solution I made from a spore print of Panaeolus bisporus. While I wait for that to hopefully grow robust mycelium that I will isolate and further refine, I thought I would inoculate a few quart jars of red wheat berries with the spore solution to use for bulk substrate and then clone from the best fruits. 

Do you all recommend I use straight grain in my spawn jars, or should I mix the grain with some aged cow manure? I read about someone using a 50-50 mix of manure and grain in their spawn jars and they spoke of good results but I can't find the post to reference it again. 

I am very excited about growing this particular tribe of the mushroom realm! Thanks for you input. 

Edited by PaceArrow, 25 May 2021 - 09:59 PM.

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#2056 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:14 AM

Congrats on your recent grow, Jrotten!

Day before yesterday I made my first batch of agar. I used a homemade loop and inoculated two of the agar cups with a drop of multispore solution I made from a spore print of Panaeolus bisporus. While I wait for that to hopefully grow robust mycelium that I will isolate and further refine, I thought I would inoculate a few quart jars of red wheat berries with the spore solution to use for bulk substrate and then clone from the best fruits. 

Do you all recommend I use straight grain in my spawn jars, or should I mix the grain with some aged cow manure? I read about someone using a 50-50 mix of manure and grain in their spawn jars and they spoke of good results but I can't find the post to reference it again. 

I am very excited about growing this particular tribe of the mushroom realm! Thanks for you input.

I like your enthusiasm, but I might suggest getting the first clean and fast growth and maybe a few. Try several plates. If you never added manure to grain, then I have a hard time suggesting that you start now. It might be useful, but well prepared grain is better than potentially ill prepared grain and manure. Clean fast growth and well prepared substrate and spawn are the immediate concerns.
  • YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2057 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 12:28 AM

What's everyone experience with dried pans? Today I tried a dried gram and I wasn't overwhelmed just expected more. Was very visual for the low dose.

Jambos were mild at 1 gram. 2 grams was amazing. They are not all equal. Jambos at 2g~ TX at 1.5g<KIP at 1.5g. Pans will all get you there and it doesn’t take big jumps in dose. And getting brave with new varieties is a recipe for something you didn’t plan for.

Pans are amazingly potent, and they are very different than cubes and they escalate quickly, I can’t imagine ever wanting to take 3g of pans. Maybe if I knew the batch, but they’ve gotten away from me and it’s uncomfortable to put it mildly.
  • Sidestreet, ElPirana, Asura and 3 others like this

#2058 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:22 PM

Is 0.5g increments asking for trouble?

• MushLuvR likes this

#2059 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:01 PM

I’d say that’s the right increment.
  • MushLuvR likes this

#2060 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:09 PM

The pan TX really seems to like the composted straw. There is some other stuff in there as I’ve mentioned that is tougher for the mycelium, but I’d call this 100% colonized (it probably was before I broke it down but the myc was so faint) just not consolidated yet. A day or two more and I’ll case it straight into fruiting. Notice how the consolidation has been faster on the straw bits. I think that’s a good sign. Now to see if it fruits well. Sub depth has made a difference in first flush fruit size with this variety so I’m hoping the deeper, heavier and wetter sub does something interesting.

I used the flash to highlight the very wispy growth over the whole surface and accentuate the thicker consolidation.

Attached Thumbnails

• C7A3A0A3-38D1-4393-BFA2-8EDD5B9BE58B.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 26 May 2021 - 08:20 PM.

• ElPirana and MushLuvR like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!