2215 replies to this topic

#2161 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2021 - 09:04 PM

A Florida strain called Peace River.  Not the prettiest of Pans, but Beautiful to ME.  

P1110911.JPG

P1110928.JPG

P1110930.JPG

The last pic is from the BIG fruit(from previous posts) in the Mini 

Mono, crazy the biggest fruit wasn't from the

tent.  Overall though, much nicer fruits across the board

in the mini GH.  I'm almost 100% positive I cased them a little too

thick giving me horrific Pinsets, so I harvested up the trays and spread the 

casing(free patching why not) and even removed some after harvest.  I'm just starting to see new Pins

this morning, so here they come again.  Just enjoying and learning their quirks

at this stage.  They perked up with the Air increase towards the end which in turn, kicks on 

the humidity more.  Just having a ball playing with these.  Stay Shroomy!   :smoking-hookah:

Edited by MushLuvR, 08 November 2021 - 09:07 PM.

• GlitchInSpace, bezevo, ElPirana and 5 others like this

#2162 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 November 2021 - 06:22 PM

Nice job!

2nd attempt at pans and deviating a bit from my first substrate (verm, coir, manure, hay). I baked for years before giving it up for mycology, so I go by feel. Hope verm wasn't needed but I'll revise for next jars finishing up. 

Nothing new here just my latest rendition of cold lime pasteurization. 

I roughly fill my containers with manure to get a feel for how much shit I need. Find a container and fill it with cold water about the level of manure.

manurewater.JPG

Then a layer of hay on top. Stir with a stick. Add a bit of pasteurized lime till you're super alkaline. 

hay.JPG

lime.JPG

Let soak for 4-6 hours and agitate when you can. 

finalmix.JPG
I then use a paint bucket with a ton of holes drilled into the bottom as a colander. Keep all that shit water for your garden or compost.

Strain and get a feel for that texture. Light and airy but dense enough to support myc. I dunno just get your hands shitty...If feels muddy add some vermiculite. 

Bottom layer of sub in container, layer of spawn, another thin layer of sub and let them colonize.

PCWC.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 14 November 2021 - 06:24 PM.

• Salty117, YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2163 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 11:06 AM

Those 3 trays are recovering really well. One of them seemed a bit wet so I tossed some cvg on top under the flow.

The 2 that are wetter I'm considering drying under the flow or throwing some CVG on top. THOUGHTS?

pcwc.JPG

Another jar finished up. 5/6 recovered post shake.

This sub is going to be lazily pasteurized. Bringing PC up to hissing. Shutting it off and putting on the weight. I'll proceed to forget about it.
Sub is 2 handfuls CVG, 3 handfuls manure, 1 handful hay or I winged it. Feels nice and airy especially as I fluff it by hand.

If I got too much sub may try cubes on shit. Never done that inside only outside.

Edited by rockyfungus, 17 November 2021 - 11:13 AM.

• YoshiTrainer and MushLuvR like this

#2164 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,310 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 12:55 PM

All of  you guys wow

looking good  . no amazing !

i am working on a  MYCOTOPIA Fund raiser .

i bought some Pan Estero prints for it and the vendor generously  threw in a few more pan Estero prints and some sets of pan Estero swabs for the fund raiser    . These i will be sending out to people that send donations , I'm still working on the wording and logistics .

il link here when i get  fundraiser thread up n posted .

I mentioned this on the chat and a good member offered too send a bunch of interesting cube prints as bonus prints to go out with the pan prints .

STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFO !

#2165 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2021 - 01:30 PM

I have more wild coast prints then I know what to do with.

My Estero print is mold. May need to swap for the fund
  • bezevo and MushLuvR like this

#2166 JACKOLANTERN

JACKOLANTERN

puking unicorn

• Free Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 November 2021 - 01:49 PM

My past attempts at copes all had them stalling out for some reason. Just need to try again and adapt.

#2167 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2021 - 02:21 PM

Stalling on grain?
  • MushLuvR likes this

#2168 Nurko65

Nurko65

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:09 PM

My past attempts at copes all had them stalling out for some reason. Just need to try again and adapt.

Hey Jack, don't despair - I was there for nearly two years and now am enjoying the fruits (ahem!) of my labor. I was also getting stalls, mainly at the bulk substrate stage. I go spores -> agar -> Grain -> Bulk substrate -> casing and fruiting chamber. Some things to consider: a good white, fluffy and fast growing agar colony is an absolute. If you get this, the rest should be straight forward. The issue that killed me was a bacteria I had in the house, Serratia marcescens, aka pink ring in toilet bowl. It is rather innocuous but I am convinced it was the source of all my issues including spawn not colonizing or fruiting and oysters not fruiting despite good strong spawn. Once I eradicated it, mushrooms started fruiting.

Good luck

#2169 Nurko65

Nurko65

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 71 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:41 PM

My P. cyan wild coast cased on 11/01 is slowly coming to an end but what a run it was. The flushes/waves started shortly after casing and I was getting a large handful every couple of days from say a couple of 10 x 10 trays and 4 small eat out trays. Every couple of days I would harvest the large ones and fix and irrigate the casing layer with a syringe. I didn't hold back on the irrigation adding approximately 50 mls to a 10" x 10" tray. My substrate recipe was 8 pts dry slightly packed chopped straw, 4 pts hpoo, 2 parts coarse vermiculite and 1 part garden gypsum, all by volume. I described my fruiting chamber earlier which runs at 75 - 77 F and dry fresh air and humidity cycling every 3 hours. Feels good after all this time but with encouragement from this forum's crew.

p cyan w.c. 112221.jpg

• phlegmbae, ElPirana, YoshiTrainer and 2 others like this

#2170 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,788 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 06:22 AM

OK, here I have Pan. Cyan. on grain. (Hope it is anyway).

Do they like pasteurised coir/moopoo? Or where do I go from here?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0149.JPG

#2171 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,361 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 12:20 PM

Looks good Scott. I think many people do 2:1 straw:hpoo with some gypsum and vermiculite mixed in?

Congrats Nurko, those look great!
  • scott_1971_h and MushLuvR like this

#2172 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,788 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 November 2021 - 07:20 PM

Looks good Scott. I think many people do 2:1 straw:hpoo with some gypsum and vermiculite mixed in?

Does Paneolus need a casing?

#2173 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 November 2021 - 10:58 PM

Hello Everyone, I have made several failed attempts at cultivating P. Bisporus and P. Peace River but I am determined to learn how to successfully grow Panaeolus, so I am trying again. Last week I received a spore print of P. Esteros from the very generous GordoTek, and I tell you what - this critter grows like the dickens on agar. Here are two agar cups that I inoculated on the 19th. The spores were applied in an S shape using an inoculation loop. Growth started within 24 hours of inoculation, and today (the 4th day of growth) the mycelium expanded dramatically, as shown in the photos. By the way the round whitish out of focus blob in each image is the divot on the lid of the agar cup. 

I could use some advice: Which areas in these cups show the most desirable growth? I want to cut these areas out tomorrow to inoculate some white millet mycobags with. Thank you. 

IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

Edited by PaceArrow, 23 November 2021 - 11:00 PM.

• phlegmbae, bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#2174 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2021 - 11:48 AM

Does Paneolus need a casing?

Yes maybe 1/4 inch 50:50 as thin and level as possible after it tears through pasteurized hpoo/verm/hay.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#2175 MushLuvR

MushLuvR

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2021 - 12:01 PM

VERY thin casing, I went maybe 3/8's thick, too much, next round I'll be going an 8th inch thick or closer to a quarter.  All good, part of the process.  

• bezevo and YoshiTrainer like this

#2176 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2021 - 01:59 PM

4 trays almost fully colonized. Going to give them another 2 days or so. I'll case 2 thin as possible covering myc up. Next like 2x as thin maybe few cms (2-3max). I eyeball everything. Not even sure what a 1/4 inch is. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 24 November 2021 - 01:59 PM.

#2177 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 03:27 PM

Here are phots taken just now of the mycelium in the agar cups, which is continuing to expand. I hope someone here can guide me as to which areas of the growth to harvest for inoculating grain with. The thin whispy outer parts? The more dense looking outer parts? I await your counsel, with thanks.. 

IMG_2621.jpeg

IMG_2625.jpeg

#2178 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:36 PM

It's all good. You should have watched which patch grew fastest. Go for the wispest you are comfortable with. Or at this point cuz it's so grown out somewhere central.
Watch for thin faster sections. Best to run a bunch of grains with diff fast sections and see what works...

#2179 PaceArrow

PaceArrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:26 PM

It's all good. You should have watched which patch grew fastest. Go for the wispest you are comfortable with. Or at this point cuz it's so grown out somewhere central.
Watch for thin faster sections. Best to run a bunch of grains with diff fast sections and see what works...

Thanks Rocky. This growth is only 4 days from spores and the sections grew pretty much simultaneously. I have read of Paneolus mycelium needing to be wispy but with my attempts at growing P. Bisporus and P. Peace River I chose wispy and they never colonized the grain fully after a single shake. Very fragile and not very vigorous. Prob something I did incorrectly..

#2180 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2021 - 06:56 PM

Grab a mixture. Experiment is the key to this hobby. What the hell is wispy anyways???

I like my rectangle tupperwares. Grab 3 spots and see who overgrows rest. Grab that dude and done by T2-T3

PC.JPG

(Not Pan cyans. This is Psilo cyan, still way I like to compare vigor. Weak in middle, either outter dude was bitching. Don't look for these ropes LOL)

Edited by rockyfungus, 24 November 2021 - 06:59 PM.

• phlegmbae, bezevo and PaceArrow like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!