#101 Microbe

Microbe

civis scientiam

• OG VIP
  • 4,419 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

I’ve found pans do well with peptone, my recipe is 1000ml distilled water (950g)
32g dextrose (sugar)
16 g malt extract
16 g peptone
8g yeast
20 g agar
10 g potato starch

(Optional below)
.3 g ammonium citrate
.2 g thiamine
.2g magnesium phosphate
This is max Nute I’ll reduce sugars by up to 50% depending on what I’m doing

I too will still be around I’m going to put my pan tek on here for y’all.

That's interesting, quite a bit different from the "official" Pan. cyan. culture media from the CRC 'Handbook of Microbiological Media, Fourth Edition' (2010)

Dung Extract Agar
(DSMZ Medium 781)
Composition per liter:
Agar ............................................................................................15.0g
Malt extract...................................................................................5.0g
Ca(NO3)2·4H2O........................................................................0.72g
MgSO4·7H2O................................................................................0.5g
K2HPO4 .......................................................................................0.25g
Peptone .........................................................................................0.1g
Dung extract...........................................................................100.0mL
pH 6.9 ± 0.2 at 25°C
Dung Extract:
Composition per 150.0mL:
Horse dung.............................................................................. variable
Preparation of Dung Extract: Add an average sized piece of
horse dung to 150.0mL water. Gently heat and bring to boiling. Boil for
2 hr in a water bath. Filter. Use immediately.
Preparation of Medium: Add components to distilled/deionized
water and bring volume to 1.0L. Mix thoroughly. Gently heat and bring
to boiling. Distribute into tubes or flasks. Autoclave for 15 min at 15
psi pressure–121°C. Pour into sterile Petri dishes or leave in tubes.
Use: For the cultivation and maintenance of Panaeolus cyanescens.

This media was apparently developed exclusively for Pan. cyan. and they were kind enough to use a pressure cooker setting on their autoclave, like they knew trippers were watching

Can peptone be replaced with anything OTC? My home lab has basically every inorganic ingredient to all the culture media I see but no peptone. Will whey protein work? A lifetime supply would cost me less than even the smallest quantity of any grade of microbiological peptone.
Thanks
I use brewers yeast or soy bean powder in place of peptone with comprable results. Peptone is expensive in comparison but its pharmaceutical/ lab grade. I would suspect that the proteins in peptone are more readily available to the culture also.

“It is always the simple that produces the marvelous.” —Amelia Barr
  • cybele likes this

#102 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 78 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:32 PM

Got germination on pan cambo "sandose". hopefully I have better luck with these than the pan cyan Australia.a2dfe3fe0343e40ed1854639caaff5a4.jpg
  • Asura likes this

#103 peacefrog

peacefrog

Peaceful Frog

• 2,274 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

Amazing thread.

Sorry I’m very late to the party for this one lol.

I’m just not as active as I once was and on a mycology hiatus but y’all who know me, know I love thIs species. Keep this one alive for a while!!

Amazing pics so far.

Peace and good vibes my friends.
  • Foster, ItBeBasidia and Nicked like this

#104 PanPiper

PanPiper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

Can anyone help positively ID the sub species?  I collected two different Panaeolus species in the wild in Cambodia last year and grew them out.  

I finally got the spores under a microscope to try and determine exactly what I have so I can file my prints/agar/spawn accordingly and continue to work on cultures.  Anyway some of the spores are 11um and others are 13um according to my friend who had access to the microscope.  

Can anyone tell from the slides which is Pan Cambo and which is Pan Cyan?  If I am not mistaken the 11um spores should be Pan Cambo and the 13um should be Pan Cyan.   Is that the distinguishing characteristic?  

Can Jake, Asura or any of the other pan wizards give pointers on how to ID?

Thanks

Panaeolus Spores 1000x 13 um
Panaeolus Spore unknown sub species
Panaeolus SpecimenB 11mm

• makinbones69 and ItBeBasidia like this

#105 jakeoncid419

jakeoncid419

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

See
See the Copelandia key in Gerhardt 1996
However sport size alone is not going to be enough to determine beyond a shadow of a doubt what it is you could also count the basidia but even then it’s not 100% as there are anomaly’s to know for sure you need to do genetic sequencing (Send to alvalab.es for ITS sequencing)
Other than that the best you can do is measure 30 spores, then drop the largest and smallest 5 percent and look at the ranges to make a meaningful comparison. But for the most part Without comparing spore size measurements to sequence data there is no way of knowing how accurate it is. The sequencing let's you know which features to pay attention to and which are variable.
  • PanPiper likes this

#106 PanPiper

PanPiper

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Jake..I'm excited to learn more about it. Fyi, I think the first tray is pan cyan and the 2nd is pan cambo

Copelandia - tub July

Pan Cyan 12cm gills

Copelandia experimental grow

• Foster, Skywatcher, makinbones69 and 3 others like this

#107 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

That looks so awesome!
  • Foster likes this

#108 Asura

Asura

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 91 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:46 PM

PanPiper nice grow man. That looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Foster likes this

#109 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,248 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 01:20 PM

So I hit about half a dozen 1/2pt jars of PC'd, whole grain, par boiled rice. (9er Tek style without the verm). They sat for 7-8 days before i got to them, so I was sure the jars were perfectly sterile and ready to go.

An MS syringe made from a small portion of Asura's Pan Jamaica print.  (TY Asura :) ).

Got 100% germination and nice growth , no contams.  Looks to be a pretty fast colonizer. I will post some pics soon as I get an opportunity.

So busy at the moment with real life, I haven't had time for photos, pasteurizing or much of anything else.  But I'm off to a good start and in no hurry.

Also got KapnDanks's Tex Orange Caps doing just as well,100% germ, clean and growing fast, with Ps, Serbica hydrating in a syr. (TY Kapn)

As well as ShadowLords' TC? hydrating and ready for my next round of PCing. TY Shadow old friend :)   

Good to be back in touch with all yall and nice to have some fresh blood at topia and fresh genetics in my grubby little hands ;)

peace n much love yall   

• Phungivore, ItBeBasidia and Nicked like this

#110 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 287 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 PM

I have two bags of Alabama pans almost finished thanks to asura.
Glad the TOC germed well. Did the serbica give you problems? I got 100% germ on both plates. Took a bit longer to germ than most but once it did it did so beautifully. Lots of strong looking sectors from the get go.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!