• Please log in to reply
1423 replies to this topic

#1401 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

I'm not trying to out do anybody's math or explanations because basically I have copied everything Asura does except succeed... but what I have done with other species (because me and pans just have a weird relationship) is I just weigh my dry ingredients in grams and then double that number in ml or on the scale with my planned LC amount knocked off.  It makes scaling the recipe super easy and would give you 66.66% water.  It's just dumb kid math, but I have had much better success with literally every other species so take that for what you want.  If you lose a smidge to the PC you're going to find up close to that 65% 

• Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#1402 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:13 PM

got 2 jars of phv, 2 different isos and 1 jar esteroc4f99239262a8934a7dd3e53e6b8b87c.jpg62993d8e105b327d7a7f2f802e46b634.jpg4eb1ccf31bb97e279c9a00ef143b2ce6.jpg
  • ElPirana, makinbones69, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#1403 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

I have a pan bag that is nearing 100%. Or maybe it is, it’s hard to see through the bag honestly. Do you consolidate in the bag or consolidate in the tray? Bag is about 15 days since inoculation, roughly 50/50 hpoo to straw. Smidge of verm. I need to spend a few hours recommissioning the tunable FC. I would just like one successful grow before I start with other genetics

Edited by Jrotten, 12 October 2020 - 03:27 AM.

• Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

#1404 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 October 2020 - 11:51 PM

You break it all up and put it in a tray to recover. Cover it. Poke a few holes for GE. Should be ready in 5 days. Then case and fruit.

#1405 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

D00A4FA7-5557-437B-9648-5050F0C97E5F.jpeg so this is 6 days in bulk pan bag. It looked fully colonized on 4 But do you guys wait till the whole bag is covered in that thick white myc or breakdown like this. I have a couple bags that look similar. I think it’s weird how some strains of pans do this with the thick white masses mixed with wispy growth. No matter if there isolated or not seems to happen a lot. Some strains more than others. This is Estero by the way

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 12 October 2020 - 07:02 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#1406 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:34 PM

From the pic, it looks pretty done.

#1407 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Well I need the vibes because everything I have is either experimental, a species I've never tried (got some gym purp on grain) and these pans I trayed today.  I went real straightforward, broke it down still in the bag, dumped it in a shoebox tote, leveled it out, put the lid on and put it in the incubator that usually has plates in it set to 74 which should hardly require any active heating.  I'm going to try really hard not to look for 5 days.  3 days...I'll be screwing with them tomorrow I'm sure.  This culture came off a pretty distinct sector on the germ plate.  I hope it's a fruiting culture!

• Asura likes this

#1408 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:04 AM

i found this pin on my germination plate. i guess i selected the wrong isos? lol02d1e1ebc9f46d5c45bb1ad63d14f358.jpg
  • Jrotten, ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and 1 other like this

#1409 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:04 PM

So no fruit after no fruit, I decided to wait until I could use the other fruiting chamber. It’s the only one I’ve gotten Pans to fruit in. Having one last attempt going I realized it was time to get the main FC up for the season. Cleaning turned into gutting it. Where the old one was built for durability, this one is built for ease of modification if need be. I’m not done. I need to create the pan, add the door and plumb it, but HOPEFULLY this tray breaks the cycle.

The culture 2 days after breaking down into tray. It was actually a culture from a germ plate that just sat around for weeks. There was one little section that was determined to outcompete a crowded plate and looked wisely to me. Gonna try to have this chamber done today so it’s timed by the time it’s time to load. The light needed moving and I needed more space anyway...

Attached Thumbnails

• 76974E88-B6B3-492F-A3AF-C62CFA27EF59.jpeg
  • C4BBE59F-237B-4ABE-B47E-DF8CF8696DCC.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 15 October 2020 - 06:07 PM.

• ElPirana, ItBeBasidia and YoshiTrainer like this

#1410 Nurko65

Nurko65

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 47 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:18 PM

Hey, JR, don't feel bad, just try and identify errors and correct your procedures. I have been at this awhile after acing cubes. I believe selection from the spore germination plate is also critical.

I have been having problems with Estero as well. Can the experts please look at the attached picture taken October 13 of first transfers from four different spore germination plates.

Plates 1 and 4 were inoculated September 30 (so 14 days old).

Plate 2 was inoculated September 25 and plate 3 on October 2.

These plates are much older than what I usually use but their appearance was strange.

Do these plates all show signs of tomatose or contamination? Did I cut out the incorrect transfers. Or, is this how Estero mycelium should look?
Kind regards

Estero T! 101620.jpg

#1411 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 October 2020 - 10:20 PM

my estero germination plate looks real funky. it's the pic in the post 3 posts above this post. in fact it just pinned on agar. here's the plate with 3 isos. i just spawned the top right isolate.

i noticed that my estero print puts out crazy looking mycelium. you have to isolate real fast the 2nd you get good looking growth. if not it becomes real mess.2a2ba7b2dad894bc0708f4e2530bcaa6.jpg

Edited by whitethumb, 16 October 2020 - 10:24 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#1412 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:57 PM

Has anyone ever refrigerated colonized trays of pans if they had to an overlap in there system or if they say had to go out of town suddenly? I refrigerate pan agar plates with no lose in vigor so I assume it would be ok but wanted to see if maybe someone here had done it.

#1413 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

I've only done that when I was testing out methods to get rid of overlay. It didn't

seem to hurt the tray bc the overlay came back with a vengeance when I

put the tray back in fruiting.

#1414 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:32 PM

Hmm so did you ever find anything to help the overlay. What I have been doing for those crazy pan strains is letting it colonize all the way and then leaving it for another 4-5 days till the whole surface and bottom fluffs up and then casing and doing a super soak mist on it and put right in fruiting and that seems to work. For the other regular mycelium pan strains I’ll case with field capacity casing and let it grow into the casing cover for a day or two and then soak and put in fruiting. That’s been working for me but I’m about to do pan jam again so that will be the true test. Seemed to always be the worst for me.

Edited by Celestialexplorer1, 19 October 2020 - 07:35 PM.

#1415 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:43 PM

I've never found anything that helps. Haven't had it in a long time, though. I think once it starts there's no going back. Hope someone can prove this wrong one day, but that's the way it seems to be.

I've always gone right from casing to fruiting but I think I might try what you describe and wait a day or so. Jake and Blue Helix both do it. Want to see if this affects my pinsets. 

#1416 Celestialexplorer1

Celestialexplorer1

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 10:11 PM

I used to go straight to fruit but since I started letting it grow into it first I feel like I do reach pinning quicker but have never put that to the test. I mainly do it because when I see the myc growing into the casing when it’s in fruiting I always feel like that’s a good sign so why not let it do it faster before fruiting.

#1417 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:45 PM

Fogger crapped out during the rebuild (my fault) so it’s currently more of a humid incubator than an actual fruiting chamber. I can keep a constant flow of 75% RH at 75F so I’m just going to mist the casing when it’s dry and hope this just speeds pinning. The pan tub has gotten some real marshmallowy growth the last few days but was selected for the thinnest wispiest growth. Might have just been a response the consolidation. environment. Might be overlay. We’ll see. I have to finish the rebuild but that should give me time to get some of these more common pans to agar. I did put a couple of sandoze wedges to grain that came from my dwarf grow last year and the wispiest growth from an LC test that wound up laying over hopelessly also. I had extra jars so why not.

Basically while I was sick everything I did crapped out so I’m starting over. Suddenly agar doesn’t feel like the long way to do things when there’s a fridge of plates!

Attached Thumbnails

• DDC247B0-CEA2-4134-AA4B-D15EE0C28025.jpeg
  • ABD9C873-BCAA-4226-8FDB-E517161A2999.jpeg

#1418 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

So pins 5 days into fruiting is considered fast but doable? How many days in fruiting would you call it a dud?

#1419 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 421 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:47 PM

About 8 days and I know it's not going to work.

• Jrotten likes this

#1420 whitethumb

whitethumb

poisoned beauties

• OG VIP
  • 1,086 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

just cased 3 trays... 2 phv and 1 estero.
  • Jrotten, Asura and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!