• Please log in to reply
2042 replies to this topic

#1941 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

So its been 24 hrs since I cased and the myc doesnt seem eager to rip through the casing. Just some spots of wispy myc. Is this normal?
  • Jrotten likes this

#1942 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

I'm no expert and pretty sure the few pins I had aborted, 2-3 days seem to be more reasonable. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 12 April 2021 - 03:46 PM.

• BlueSkyCloud likes this

#1943 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

:thumbs_up: will update then

#1944 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:03 PM

So its been 24 hrs since I cased and the myc doesnt seem eager to rip through the casing. Just some spots of wispy myc. Is this normal?

Your casing might just be a little thicker and denser than others. I don’t even get my sub covered 100% I apply mine so thin. I’ve actually been eying your tray. If you have thin whisps in 24hr with a thicker denser casing, my hypothesis is a more even pinset, it just might be a day or two behind. I have no proof, You’re testing my hypothesis for me which I REALLY appreciate because if I have a bunch of small trays in the pipeline I was thinking about playing with casing depths.

My prediction is pins in 7 days from casing if temperature and moisture are reasonable..

Edited by Jrotten, 12 April 2021 - 08:04 PM.

• Asura and BlueSkyCloud like this

#1945 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:56 PM

I hear you man. Actually, I checked in on it few hours ago. Mycelium has started sprouting. I got pics but it's not really visible, I must take better ones later and I'll post them here.

32~ hrs in right now.

And by the way the casing in the perimeter is kind of thin, thinner than 1/4 inch, around 2mm or so but the rest is applied normally at 4-6 mm average.

#1946 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:28 AM

Approaching 48 hours and the mycelium is starting to poke through the casing. The corners seems to be lagging behind a bit and I suspect this may have to do with areas that had dried out a bit, but checking it from the side, they do seem alive so I think it's a matter of time.

I just misted too as I am getting very good evaporation. Knots will start poking soon.

Casing1.jpg Casing2.jpg Casing3.jpg Casing4.jpg Casing5.jpg

Do you keep watering your casing daily with a syringe or otherwise when pins are in? Never allow it to stay dry correct?

Edited by BlueSkyCloud, 13 April 2021 - 07:28 AM.

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#1947 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:43 AM

Sad pins near my aborted pins, I could mist my surface probably every 2 hours. Time to redesign my FC as these are probably not going to make it. 

sadpans.JPG

#1948 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:53 AM

That actually looks perfect to me.  I don't use the syringe, I just mist at point blank rage.  Syringe is probably better.  The casing needs to stay damp, but it needs to not STAY saturated.  You don't want to overwater and drown the sub beneath.  6mm is probably 2-3x my usual depth, but I will be trying with slightly thicker casings to see if it makes a difference on my next trays.  i bet you have pins in 5 days or less 

• BlueSkyCloud likes this

#1949 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

I will update you all :biggrin:

Sad pins near my aborted pins, I could mist my surface probably every 2 hours. Time to redesign my FC as these are probably not going to make it. 

Ah man, a shame. What do you think caused this?

Edited by BlueSkyCloud, 13 April 2021 - 12:18 PM.

#1950 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

Not being able to keep the surface humidity high enough I would imagine. Maybe too much FAE

#1951 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:04 PM

I have more problems with too wet than too dry with pans.  Pans are way more tolerant than cubes of lower humidity.  They do want the sub and casing moist, but a pan will develop beautifully where cubes have cracked caps and start to stall maturing.  I have certainly overwatered this most recent tray and forgetting the lime in my casing all equaled green on a mediocre second flush. The downside to the meal prep containers is not being able to see the sub which I find very useful because I'm still learing.

When I've been in doubt, I have not hesitated to back off the moisture a bit with pans and it has frequently worked out very well.  I'm not talking about letting the casing go light colored, but drop the humidity and hold back on hand watering for a day or so.

Edited by Jrotten, 13 April 2021 - 01:08 PM.

#1952 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• Gold VIP
  • 585 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:47 PM

If the wet is because there is not enough evap going on you will have problems. I know growers whose subs look like

they ran them through a car wash and they are getting great flushes. But it's the evap I'm sure.

#1953 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

Well some pins are growing so we gonna let her ride with the spritz as much as I can. Every time I look into the tent it's a dry surface. I'd rather see some beads on the myc. 

Edited by rockyfungus, 13 April 2021 - 09:37 PM.

• Jrotten likes this

#1954 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

I think these are Wild Coast (my label smudged from all the humidity), or are these Mex?
pans.JPG

Edited by rockyfungus, 14 April 2021 - 07:20 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#1955 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

So it's close to 3 days now, the mycelium has colonized the casing to a good extend and I am getting good evaporation. The tray has gotten 36 ml of water since I first misted it on day 1 so I am going to reduce mistings.

However, I am worried about the surface. Lots of mycelial sprouts on casing which have no moisture barrier so when they evap, they pretty much get dry and need to be misted. Is this something typical and no biggie? I don't want to be misting so much since the casing is still dampened. Would you patch / recase these? It doesn't look stressed yet or anything, it also seems to be hard attached to the casing, as if it's some kind of rubber holding the casing tight.

casedday3-1.jpg casedday3-2.jpg

Edited by BlueSkyCloud, 14 April 2021 - 08:37 AM.

#1956 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:23 AM

Just roll on. Keep the casing damp. A little wetter, a little drier, a little wetter, rinse and repeat. Don’t start trying to out guess the fungus. It’s been around longer than us. It’ll be here when we’re gone. So long as the casing is staying damp and the temperatures are up around 75-80F, then your RH can be anywhere from 80-97% and you’re going to get pins in just a couple more days so long as it’s all appropriate for your setup. That myc is doing it’s part.

As much FAE as possible with as much evaporation as possible while maintaining a damp casing and as high of humidity as possible while accomplishing the other factors.

Growing cubes next to pans really drove it home for me. The little thin subs are easier to keep hydrated and the smaller fruits that develop super fast really make it all a bit counterintuitive, but the pans that like wetter feet can really tolerate drier caps better. Their speed and size I think makes a huge difference on what they prefer and tolerate.

Edited by Jrotten, 14 April 2021 - 10:27 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#1957 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

An experiment. Temps had been pretty warm, though they are falling again for a few days. All the same, this tray of Pan TX that I rescued in a bag and then forgot to lime the casing spit out a few really nice fruits in two flushes and then went wonky. Since the container is so handy for the experiment I’m putting it outside with the lid cracked dubtub style during the day and then putting it in the garage at night. Heavy misting in the morning ahead of it’s day of evaporation.

No real purpose other than to see what it will do. Maybe the green makes a good casing? LOL

(I have no intention of eating anything off this tray, I have more than enough stash for when I return to consuming and lots of trays in the works.)

#1958 BlueSkyCloud

BlueSkyCloud

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:28 AM

JR I was wondering do you mist pins when they appear? I was watching this pic

https://mycotopia.ne...1614272053.jpeg

and I saw that the pins are very wet. Is this from the fogger or direct misting?

another thing, did you ever end up running this plate? or the mycelium phenotype in general. if yes, could you post pics of how the spawn run and sub looked? https://mycotopia.ne...1596492783.jpeg

=====

Things are still looking stable, woke up today and the surface had dried out a bit, I gave it a generous misting and it's in another cycle of evaporation now. I think it's just now finishing colonizing the casing so in the next days something must happen.

Edited by BlueSkyCloud, 15 April 2021 - 07:33 AM.

#1959 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,467 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:11 PM

That is direct misting. My fogger does not leave much if any condensation usually. My FC is automated, insulated with radiant barrier and has a heater in the chamber and the water reservoir which I set to prevent temperature deltas from creating condensation. I can move trays around to be more or less in the direct line of the fogger or set timers if I want my fogger to do the watering, but doing it this way I only have to refill the reservoir once a week. I try not to mist the pins directly, but when they are new it happens. I don't think misting the pins is really bad. In nature they will get very damp. It's bad that they stay wet. My FC is unique and I use pretty wide humidity deltas which basically resembles a heavy morning fog followed by a quick burnoff and falling humidity before repeating, but the passive air exchange doesn't let it get soggy in there. I have another FC that does 99%+ RH or I use shoebox totes with lids if I want things staying really wet.

No that plate didn't ever grow out. It bruised very purple on the plate before I did anything with it, and I don't remember what happened from there. Until I developed this method https://mycotopia.ne...ns-for-dummies/ I had awful luck with pans.

This picture was supposed to accompany the previous post about an experiment.

Attached Thumbnails

• A1DBA514-FD7E-433C-B0F4-297F447CECF3.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 15 April 2021 - 12:13 PM.

#1960 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

My pins are discoloring a bit from all the extra misting I've done. I want to try and scale back and see how they tolerate less wet surface conditions, but I have a feeling they will abort out.

Hard to get a clear picture but lots of aborts and sad looking pins. 

pans.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!