11 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

Hello all,

I have been around for a while. Had a short disconnect due to some pretty serious life issues, but it's finally time to start my first jars of pop corn.

I am really excited. My spores arrived today. I am going to do multi spore syringe pop corn jars of GT. I know the multi spore is ill advised but at this time I am not equipped the way I would like to do agar work. I was also thinking of jumping straight to liquid cultures, however I need to study a little more before I make that leap. So a generic grow for my first time. I have my popcorn soaking right now. I wrapped my syringes in foil to protect them from light exposure. My first question is as I soak my grain do I need to cover it or is an open air soak ok? IDK if it makes a difference or not. Please share with me if it makes a difference for you and I will read and learn. Thank you to all who have inspired me here especially Microbe my mentor. Peace fam. 

P.S. My phone won't accept a charge so no pics as of this moment but will try to find a way to get some pics uploaded as soon as I can.  :tinfoil: 

#2 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:44 PM

As long as you are going to PC after the soak, it doesn't really matter open air or not.   I just saw a popcorn tek which attempts to isolate a strain without agar. If I can find it again I'll post a link in this thread.  It really looked like a good, workable idea to me. 

#3 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

sorry, can't find it now. Basically, the idea was to put just a bit of hydrated popcorn on the bottom of a small jar, PC it, then inoculate it with a single drop from a spore syringe. Ideally, there would be only one strain formed, or at least one dominant strain which would "conquer" any others in the jar. I haven't tried it yet myself, but the idea seems sound to me and I do plan to give it a try sometime soon.

• CallMeCrazy likes this

#4 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:01 AM

Well update, my used pc that I picked up dirt cheap turned out to be a dud. Pressure gauge doesn't work and it leaks through the plugs on top and from the sides. So I had to kind of switch up the game plan. I found on another site a popcorn tek that involved pasteurizing the popcorn without a soak and then pc'ing after so I kind of did a hybrid. I put the popcorn in my pc without the lid and  pasteurized to al dente (took about 30-45 minutes not sure on the exact time because I decided to just watch it) like pasta and then dried it on a towel. It swelled pretty good but probably not as good as some I've seen. Then put in the jar and pasteurized again for about 30 min's to ensure sterilization then cooled it in front of a fan and noc'd the jar with 1 ml of spore water. When I noc'd it I used lot's of rubbing alcohol to wipe the outside of the jar and to wipe the needle I had gloves on too was holding my breath hoping that little or no bacteria came from me. I had a cup with alcohol soaked paper towel and wiped the lighter and needle tip then after drying heated the needle red hot then cooled it wiped it again and dried it then noc'd the jar. I only did one because I wasn't sure this would work so I am going to try it and see. If it doesn't contam I might be stuck doing it that way for a little while. If it does contam then I may have to try a different starting process. I wish I could take pics... but not going to worry. I am just going to hope for the best, but not be too bummed if it does contam. Wish me luck!

• roc likes this

#5 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,928 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Interesting process.

May be OK with popcorn.

• CallMeCrazy likes this

#6 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

Interesting process.
May be OK with popcorn.

Interesting indeed, I just hope the water bath was hot enough.... I have been checking it no signs of contam so far and I think that's a good sign. No signs of myc either but it's only been a day and a half. We will see what happens. Thanks for dropping by roc!

#7 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

Hi Topiates,
I know I probably should have asked sooner, but do I need to keep my grain jars in the dark, or is it ok to have them exposed to indirect light? Hoping I didn't f* this up. Mine are exposed.

#8 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:05 AM

Hi Topiates,
I know I probably should have asked sooner, but do I need to keep my grain jars in the dark, or is it ok to have them exposed to indirect light? Hoping I didn't f* this up. Mine are exposed.

I've read others here who exclusively keep their jars on top of the fridge. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you're gonna be fine either way.

You do not however nevessarily want light getting into the sides or bottom of your fruiting chamber, because it will cause side pins that are smushed instead of focusing its pinning where you want fruits.
  • CallMeCrazy likes this

#9 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Ok finally got my phone working again, pretty sure my jar contaminated. I do have some myc growing though I think. Those are two different sides of the jar... Would it be possible to transfer the myc to a different jar or should I just start over? Also, one strange note. Checked it yesterday there was no growth whatsoever. Is it normal for myc and contam to appear at the exact same time?

Attached Thumbnails

• 0812191038.jpg
  • 0812191037.jpg

Edited by CallMeCrazy, 12 August 2019 - 09:49 AM.

#10 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:40 AM

Ok since nobody repsonded I trashed the jar. As I stated from the start I had a feeling it would probably contam, so I'm not too bummed it was only 1 cc of sporewater so no big deal I still have plenty to work with next round. I did however order an All American Pressure Cannner, I know it's more expensive, but in the long run I believe it's the best avenue. It's only a 21 qt. because the $500 for a 41 is just out of budget right now. So although I didn't get the results I hoped for at least I got a little experience and I hope I can learn from my mistakes and have a better result with round 2. This time around I think I am going to try to create an entirely sterile environment that way there is little to no chance of contamination. There is a way I can achieve this as I have the right tools for the job. I will take photos and explain when I am ready to start so you all can see what I mean. I will probably start this out in the next week or so depends how long it takes to get everything delivered and set up. Sorry it is taking so long, but I have a very limited budget to work with. Thanks for dropping by.

• DeepSeeDweller likes this

#11 DeepSeeDweller

DeepSeeDweller

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Best of luck on your next try. I'll be lurking.

• CallMeCrazy likes this

#12 CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

Can't wait for Wednesday. SCORE! I am picking up a 30 qt all American pressure canner for $175 still in the box. I am so stoked I can't wait! It can hold up to 16 qt jars at once.

Edited by CallMeCrazy, 17 August 2019 - 09:27 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!