• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

Seen a huge discount deal on reddit couldn’t turn up the good deal,. Very little spore amount but that’s ok,. Starting four tonight on pre sterilized rye grain,. before I was sure about getting a pc I bought four jars of that and four bags of pre pasteurized manure compost in mycotopia bags 1 lb each they are showing up today which four should I use to nocc’ up with? IMG_0167.jpg IMG_0168.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

I’ve gotten a pc’ so the plan is to nocc’ up four jars four different strains,. In the mean time ready between sixteen and thirty two jars of grain,. That way there will be room for failed jars considering it will be my first time preparing grain,. And then when they are fully colonized use half of each of the four first jars for g2g and the other half will go to a lb of manure each into trays for fruiting,. Just need to figure out which strains I want to begin with and what grains i should use,. I’m partial to popcorn so far because it sounds easier to prepare atm mug not sure still,.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,689 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

Pick one strain and noc up four jars instead of using four prints on four jars. Get the feel for what you are doing. I suggest saving the albinos for later cuz they are much better in my opinion. Wouldn’t want to waste those on a trial run now! I would suggest something very trendy like GT for your first attempt. Just my two cents anyway.

Edited by coorsmikey, 06 August 2019 - 06:47 PM.

#4 mrmushroomwolf

mrmushroomwolf

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

As a new grower, I got to agree with coorsmikey. Better to do a small batch or two. I underestimated how much time and effort it would take to do this till you get good at it. I suggest doing one batch. Give it a few days then do another. I tried doing huge batches at first and overall ended up with less fruits than I just got from one flush from a smaller grow.

Either way you go, take some love with you. Excited to see how your grow turns out.

-MMW

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

I’m gonna think on it,. I just got the pre sterilized grains,. The kernels in some of them look damaged? Should I pc them even though they are supposedly sterile? I would’ve done it from scratch to begin but didn’t realize I would be getting the pc before I already paid for the four quart jars of rye berry,.

#6 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

I'd just use them as is. No point in re-sterilizing them.

• binro likes this

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

Okay just thought I read somewhere burst kernels can tam but okay wasn’t sure thanks :)

#8 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

Well they are more prone to contamination, but its always going to happen to some degree with whole grains. The outer shell does not expand enough to not crack open a little bit. The burst most people talk about is when they have taken so much water that the kernel casing comes almost completely off and the kernel looks more like a half popped piece of popcorn then a slightly inflated on.
Besides if they don’t work because of bad sterilization that is something you could talk to the vendor about and hopefully they would remedy the situation. You shouldn’t have to spend you time and energy to do something you already paid somebody else to do.
  • binro likes this

#9 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

Also worth mentioning that if the jars haven’t contamed during shipping and you holding on to them for a few days then the should be fine. Some people actually sterilize then wait a week or so to inoculate to ensure that the jars are sterile to start, the idea being that if they don’t contam after a week of sitting after sterilization then you can pretty much rest assured there is nothing weird in there

#10 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

That’s a good point so I decided to go South America in two and rusty whyte in another two,. I kinda jimmy rigged a still air box took some clear plastic and hung it around the bottom of a kitchen Cupboard

#11 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Could just use a cardboard box on its side. I would try to avoid anything close to the ground. Something like 90% of dirt, mold spore, bacteria, etc is found with 1 ft of the floor

#12 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

Well it’s like a hanging cupboard with nice clean counter top under it totally legit at hip height Lysol and soaped everything up,. Got the idea cuz I was a painter for a long time we used to cover everything in the kitchen with plastic just first thing that came to mind

• binro likes this

#13 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

Like where you would put your cups and plates ,. Clear plastic all around it touching wall on both sides air tight for most part

#14 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,670 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

Ah. I miss read that and was thinking you said bottom cupboard, as in near the floor, so nm my ramblings and carry on

#15 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:08 AM

I know that handwriting I'm using the same vendor. Let us know how his spores cultivate. I was kinda worried about how many spore clusters I saw in his solution I'm on day 3 after inoculating BRF. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#16 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Dude,. They were all but non existent so I used a little more solution than usual,. My jars have been in my bedroom with ac on I’m about to put them somewhere warmer on day two,. The temp they have been in is 60 - 70,.

#17 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

He wrote the wrong address had to go get em from post office they were like ten minutes from getting sent back when I showed up they said I was super lucky to have showed up when I did,. But I won’t say that in my review waiting to see if they take well first,. Clusters were seriously non visible

#18 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

Oh and please tell me an update when yours have finished germination

#19 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:18 PM

I sure will. I'm also gonna do some no pour agar dishes just in case they don't do anything. I'll let you know how that goes I just ordered the agar and light malt extract powder should be here Saturday gonna PC and inoculate Sunday.

#20 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:42 AM

Hey man I just wanted to share with you my pictures of what I think are signs of mycelium on one of my Rusty Whyte jars let me know what you think. It's all growing at the inoculation sites. bb65bc7496eddbb83b06155e261cad79.jpg915ca055639a40a3fb353826d8e03418.jpgd3c67f80b6b934d43cb560b7f5b7c2b2.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!