• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

If you are on your first or second grow, and using PF TEK (or BRF cake TEK, or whatever you know it as) then you will only screw things up using hydrogen peroxide.  There have been what seems like a lot of posts lately that read like "Hi! Noob here, my cakes looked like they had mold on them so I sprayed, or dunked, or otherwise "hit" them with hydrogen peroxide." Most of these people never posted a picture or asked for help until after they poisoned their mycelia. 

If you are new, and you follow the PF TEK to the letter, you will grow mushrooms. If you did everything right, and you think you have mold, you really probably don't! If you need reassurance, post a picture. The only time a new grower should use hydrogen peroxide is if they chicken out and decide they don't want to grow mushrooms!

There certainly is a place for H2O2 for more experienced growers. Some use it quite well in agar, sometimes one will use it to "spot treat" an infection, but again, these are people who have been growing a lot, and for a long time, who know from experience what to do, and what not to do. They are the ones weighing in here telling you the pictures you posted look fine, now put them away and don't do anything to them! 

Rant over!

• coorsmikey, LegoMyego and ElPirana like this

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Nice rant. I noticed this recent trend also. Is it a rant if it is sound advice though? Hope all is well brother.

• LegoMyego and joeya like this

#3 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

And to add to this...cobweb is not as common as people think! So many times I’ve seen pictures of mold being described as possible cobweb and it turns out to be some other mold entirely. Once again, this probably is just due to inexperienced eyes.
  • joeya likes this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,722 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

Maybe just learn a few things about it.

For example, you wouldn't use a tourniquet for a headache. (Or maybe you would.) For this reason, one should look into the science behind a particular action.

Hydrogen Peroxide (available in a brown plastic bottle in the U.S.) is a 3% solution. (Three parts out of 100 parts). This ratio is still damaging to tissue. That's why it wipes-out staphylococcus and other bacteria. They have no chance to produce endospore.

Medical doctors recommend that one should not use the solution strait from the bottle but instead, dilute the 3% solution to a 1:1 ratio with water. One part 3% H2O2 to one part water. This solution will cause less tissue damage yet still be effective in destroying bacteria.

Extrapolate, ponder, and apply that knowledge as seems appropriate. H2O2 is some handy stuff when it comes to agar work - and knowing that you can't add the H2O2 to the agar until after PC and until the agar cools to below 100*F. Knowing that spores placed on H202 agar are doomed from the start - that it is intended for live culture work (cleanup of live tissue)...........

And down the rabbit hole you go.

Edited by Myc, 07 August 2019 - 04:29 PM.

• coorsmikey, Shadowlord and Juthro like this

#5 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:50 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Shadowlord, 07 August 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#6 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

Ive done alot of brf cake groes. Sporadically through the years. Never had to use h202 for anything until i just recently did my first trays/verm casings.
They were doing their casing run around 90 degrees or so because it was a heatwave and no ac .
When i checked them it looked like myc was poking through casing but also had a ton of fuzziness which I believed tp be a cobweb like mold.
I misted with h202 and it melted. Then sealed them back up. There was a little more when inbirthed so I gave them another mist and put in fc. They all flushed beautifully . knowing my temps were extreme and the subs were very wet I came to the conclusion it was cobweb(or a similar affliction). But i treated them sparingly i didnt douse the whole tray in the stuff-knowing that it would also be harmful to the mycelium and everything worked out well...only time ive had to use it..never had a cake problem where i thought it would be appropriate...i forgot why i was writing this..shit..stoned.

Anyway. Good post OP. Ask before commiting to a potentially harmful measure.

Much love myc fam

#7 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,336 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

Archive material!

#8 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

In my case, it was mold. Two whole syringes were bunk. Got one replaced but still trying to clean up on agar. The problem is, mold grows so damn fast!

#9 Funguy69

Funguy69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

Glad to know that my little bottle of peroxide next to my FC might actually be hurting not helping. 

-Thanks

#10 sandman

sandman

Meanie PooPoo Head

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,624 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:03 PM

There is not any real reason to use peroxide for anything in this hobby.

It's not really helpful in agar since it doesn't really do anything except retard all things. Bacteria and molds can grow on peroxide agar just fine. It just slightly retards it the same as it slightly retards mycelium growth so there is hardly any point at all to peroxide agar.

You should throw out any cobweb infected substrates immediately or it's the funeral of your grow room.

It's better at sanitizing tools and surfaces straight from the bottle, except it doesn't dry off like alcohol does so that makes it really annoying. 

Keep your peroxide for a mouthwash and laundry booster.

• coorsmikey likes this

#11 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

I have seen the trend in new growers almost being trigger happy with the peroxide. It seemed excessive and never panned out well. I had also heard that it can be helpful in your perlite in the FC to avoid any bacterial growth in the perlite itself. Is this all bunk as well. Should i literally just get rid of the brown bottle?

#12 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:13 AM

On another website who shall not be named... I even saw a few posts telling people to use H2O2 before contams even happened.  Like spray it on the substrate at the beginning of fruiting.  It could have been trolls but I'm so happy I found this amazing community instead.  

• Misfit likes this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,087 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

I have seen the trend in new growers almost being trigger happy with the peroxide. It seemed excessive and never panned out well. I had also heard that it can be helpful in your perlite in the FC to avoid any bacterial growth in the perlite itself. Is this all bunk as well. Should i literally just get rid of the brown bottle?

Peroxide in the perlite will inhibit microbial growth where it directly contacts it, but only briefly. As in, for the rest of the day, give or take a few hours.

It loses its oxidative power very quickly once it's out of the bottle, and in fact the 3% stuff contains some kind of stabilizing agent (I forget what it is) to help its effectiveness last longer, so it will even become inert just sitting in the bottle if it sits there long enough.

• Myc likes this

#14 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

It will initially kill off contaminants in the perlite, which is entirely unnecessary. The mushrooms are never touching the perlite, which has absolutely no nutrients to support life in it. Any bacteria in the perlite are only there the way the are there in distilled water. 

Most growers have no need for the brown bottle. It can be useful for agar work, which is something that most growers aren't doing. 

#15 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

So... I had to do the opposite Thing and squirt peroxide on my agar. I had a dish with two different molds growing so what the hell, I have nothing to loose. The spore syringe the culture came from arrived contaminated and has been a PITA to work with.

The peroxide looks to have killed the mold but now the agar is swollen, jiggly and bubbly. The myc still looks ok for now. I tried it in two other dishes as well and left one alone for a control. All three treated dishes have this messed up agar. It happened inside of one minute. I hope it will go back to a solid mass and continue growing. Time will tell.

One question I have is; what will the oxygen bubbles do in the long term? Perhaps hold the mold at bay for a little while.

#16 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

So... I had to do the opposite Thing and squirt peroxide on my agar. I had a dish with two different molds growing so what the hell, I have nothing to loose. The spore syringe the culture came from arrived contaminated and has been a PITA to work with.

The .peroxide looks to have killed the mold but now the agar is swollen, jiggly and bubbly. The myc still looks ok for now. I tried it in two other dishes as well and left one alone for a control. All three treated dishes have this messed up agar. It happened inside of one minute. I hope it will go back to a solid mass and continue growing. Time will tell.

One question I have is; what will the oxygen bubbles do in the long term? Perhaps hold the mold at bay for a little while.

Why would you do that? The whole point of cleaning with agar is to cut the one small, non-infected piece out and put it on a clean plate to start over

#17 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

Yea but have you ever used it to clean your ears?
  • Asura likes this

#18 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Ermahgerd! Yes! It gets all kinds of crap out.

#19 FesterAddams

FesterAddams

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

Why? Because I have a track record of failure and I’m not one to break from tradition. I’ve been not growing since April and have no prospects yet! So why change? I now know about two dozen ways to not grow mushrooms.
  • coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!