32 replies to this topic

#1 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 302 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

JUST RUINED ANOTHER BATCH~NOT SURE why~ BUT THEY ARE A WEEK OLD & JUST CHECKED & GREEN~

"GLAD" IT HAPPENED IN THE BEGINNING ~SO I DON'T HAVE MY HOPES UP or wasted time+

BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION~

with a FLOW HOOD~DOES THE AIR-STREAM BLOW TOWARDS YOU OR AWAY FROM YOU?

SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW-WHICH WAY IS THE AIR SUPPOSED TO BE BLOWING? ANYONE KNOW? AS I FOUND AN "AIR PURIFIER" that I bought years ago-for my son's room.

"Thinking IT to be better than NOTHING"

I TOOK IT APART & FOUND A HEPA FILTER IN IT. WASHED IT IN BLEACH & SPRAYED W/ALCOHOL~should be somewhat STERILE~
GONNA USE TO MAKE MORE SYRINGES~ PLEASE-O PLEASE RESPOND.

SO I CAN GET --HOPEFULLY A CROP by late Sept.

IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE SYRINGES I MADE-DON'T REMEMBER WHERE THE PRINTS WERE FROM~

Thanks for reading this & ALL that may respond+

Cosmic BLESSINGS TO ALL~

• Coopdog likes this

#2 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

A good laminar flow hood should be set up to blow across your work area. Ideally, you want to be outside of the flow, so when you put your hands in it, your arms are perpendicular to the airflow. Some of those air purifiers really don't have sufficient flow and don't cover anywhere near enough area. 

Using unknown prints to make syringes is risky, such a high likelihood of contamination. It's best to start prints on agar and clean them up as necessary.

• crazy1, wharfrat and Amanita Versicula like this

#3 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

I believe you're in New York state, right? Sporeworks ships from Vermont and they have a 12 dollar grab bag special on a spore syringe of their choice. I had good luck with that, they are a top notch vendor of clean supplies if you want to start with a good clean syringe. 

• Foster and Amanita Versicula like this

#4 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 302 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:40 PM

I believe you're in New York state, right? Sporeworks ships from Vermont and they have a 12 dollar grab bag special on a spore syringe of their choice. I had good luck with that, they are a top notch vendor of clean supplies if you want to start with a good clean syringe. 

OH thank you so much~I "know" it's really NOT sufficient BUT MY HOUSE suffers from SPORE CONGESTION~

WHICH is too late now+ as I have COLLECTED UNKNOWN & KNOWN "MEDICINAL FUNGI" for years & have them through out

my house~BEFORE I started growing (OR HAVE TRIED) to grow my own FUN GUYS never thinking it THRU+

TOO LATE NOW~they are everywhere

Thanks SO MUCH JOEYA~I will give them a try~TRIED THEM years ago-w/o much success~AND NOT "BLAMING THEM"

uh~really regena? USUALLY used Ryche BUT he is SO G.D expensive IF I FAIL AGAIN+

I WILL CHECK it out & did know  OR someone has the grab-bag thingy. I have NEVER TRIED AGAR & "IT" 

UNFORTUNATELY will be more $ & I have spent plenty+ MOST of US have & I guess WHY so "possessive" of their PRINTS+

BUT I am kinda in a hurry..The other nite was perfect weather-cool TO keep THE PC going.

Now it's killer hot here~WHICH I wanted to use to my "benefit" CUZ I CAN LEAVE THEM IN THE SHED 

WHICH IS VERY 'WARM'~THANKS AGAIN MY FRIEND+

gotta "run"  BLESSING+++

• crazy1, wharfrat and joeya like this

#5 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 302 posts

Donator

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

TY my FRIEND~THEY TAKE CREDIT CARDS~which is HOW I "TRAVEL' so IT'S DONE..

THANKS AGAIN+

• joeya likes this

#6 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

Glad to hear it. It will be interesting to see what you get, when I did it I got Costa Rican, which grew amazingly well! 

• Amanita Versicula likes this

#7 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:35 AM

Right on there AV!!

Workman will always do you right. Great guy for sure.

As you mentioned your spore overload, which is a true challenging factor. Why not just do PF cakes and know without worry (or at least not much) that you'll be good to go? 

I wish you the best of luck. Good vibes your way.

Peace and blessings

• Foster, coorsmikey, Amanita Versicula and 1 other like this

#8 binro

binro

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

JUST RUINED ANOTHER BATCH~NOT SURE why~ BUT THEY ARE A WEEK OLD & JUST CHECKED & GREEN~

"GLAD" IT HAPPENED IN THE BEGINNING ~SO I DON'T HAVE MY HOPES UP or wasted time+

BUT HERE IS MY QUESTION~

with a FLOW HOOD~DOES THE AIR-STREAM BLOW TOWARDS YOU OR AWAY FROM YOU?

You need air to go through the filter which cleans it, and then blow over your workspace. If you had it sucking air over your workspace, you'd be asking every contam in the room to flow over your work.

#9 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

I don't think you can make a flow hood out of a air purifier. But i found this the other day (I've never used or made one of these) but figured I'd drop you the link anyway. I have been using a SAB to great success.

https://mycotopia.ne...vbox-setup-123/
  • PJammer24 and Amanita Versicula like this

#10 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Just a suggestion. Give up on the flow hood idea from a used air filter totally. Flowhoods, schmuv boxes, and filtered GBs all sound great, but how do you know what they are providing is actually sterile or a sterile environment? You dont.

If you have a heavy spore load of contams in your place,  just do a still air, sealed glove box.  Just a clear plastic tote with a lid, Holes cut for arms and gloves attached. Sanitized and clean. Plenty of GB plans here and you don't need anything other than sealed. no fan/filter/ hepa none of it.

Sanitize it and Only open for inserting your items. ( jars. syrs, etc.) Then sanitize again. Every time with a bleach/water solution.

Keep it simple!  Unless you are working with wild or unknown prints on agar, there's no need for a flow hood, filter air movement of any type, or agar.

Don't experiment, until you've got the process down 100%. It will lead to more failure than success and pure frustration, questioning what went wrong and where this time?, again and again.

I've done all my work in a disgusting, dirty, 75+ yr old basement with leaking in ground water, mold, algae, mildew etc, using a 70 yr old pressure cooker for sterilization. I only use the glove box on a rare occasion. Or to store freshly pc'd items or jars until ready for use, and then to do the work if its grain to grain or something that exposes my grain to open air txfers.

Even Nocc'ing jars can be in open air, If you are prepared, clean and follow your procedure every single time.

You certainly dont need a hood for making syringes! Just clean, open face prints, in new mini ziplocks,(preferably for ease) and sterile water in a sterile syringe.

You don't even need a glove box for that portion. Just some 90% iso alcohol on a paper towel, and a lighter to sterilize the sharp. Straight from mini zip to syringe without ever opening the baggie. For this you should practice without real spores. 100 mini zips 2x3 at wal mrt in craft dept. $1 dollar.

I haven't read all your posts, but advise you read up on proper grain prep and pre-  or soaking prep, or pftek, and proper use of a pc/ sterilization techniques. Understand its not about the amount of water or grain you use, but about the grain being hydrated properly. For everyone in every environment that will be different. Use the teks here as guidelines, but realize it may not fit your situation exactly.  Most green comes from improperly sterilized or prepared grain, If it is happening in three days, next time you make jars, wait 5 days after pc'ing  before you innoculate. See if they contam in that time. NO?, then you've isolated a potential problem and know to look elsewhere. I always leave one jar alone.No spores. Just to see how clean my grain prep and pc'ing were.

If your grain or pf jars dont look exactly as they should before and after pcing, you're wasting your time, money and spores.That means no excess water in jars, your cakes dont look like slurry or mush, your grain is not exploded or totally wet looking etc.

If you don't use a pc, Pftek/steaming is the only way you have a chance at success. Sure others have succeeded in other ways, but not until they got their process down, and not reliably. And especially not in an environment with heavy contam spore load.

I realize there is so much info here, and piecing together a plan is difficult. You want to try what all the experienced guys do,.so many options!.  But for your situation. Lessen the probable causes of contamination, reduce the variable,,.simplicity rules, and patience prevails.

Im not trying to sound condescending I Just want you to succeed and every variable you add beyond a sterile sealed GB for work, is an added chance for failure. There are many ways to succeed. But just as many that insure failure. Lessen those chances. Simplify, stay basic, then work your way to experimenting, before you get disgusted, frustrated, and just give up. You can do this! We can help you.!

Best of luck, foster

• crazy1, coorsmikey, Amanita Versicula and 2 others like this

#11 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

Just a suggestion. Give up on the flow hood idea from a used air filter totally. Flowhoods, schmuv boxes, and filtered GBs all sound great, but how do you know what they are providing is actually sterile or a sterile environment? You dont.

If you have a heavy spore load of contams in your place,  just do a still air, sealed glove box.  Just a clear plastic tote with a lid, Holes cut for arms and gloves attached. Sanitized and clean. Plenty of GB plans here and you don't need anything other than sealed. no fan/filter/ hepa none of it.

Sanitize it and Only open for inserting your items. ( jars. syrs, etc.) Then sanitize again. Every time with a bleach/water solution.

Keep it simple!  Unless you are working with wild or unknown prints on agar, there's no need for a flow hood, filter air movement of any type, or agar.

Don't experiment, until you've got the process down 100%. It will lead to more failure than success and pure frustration, questioning what went wrong and where this time?, again and again.

I've done all my work in a disgusting, dirty, 75+ yr old basement with leaking in ground water, mold, algae, mildew etc, using a 70 yr old pressure cooker for sterilization. I only use the glove box on a rare occasion. Or to store freshly pc'd items or jars until ready for use, and then to do the work if its grain to grain or something that exposes my grain to open air txfers.

Even Nocc'ing jars can be in open air, If you are prepared, clean and follow your procedure every single time.

You certainly dont need a hood for making syringes! Just clean, open face prints, in new mini ziplocks,(preferably for ease) and sterile water in a sterile syringe.

You don't even need a glove box for that portion. Just some 90% iso alcohol on a paper towel, and a lighter to sterilize the sharp. Straight from mini zip to syringe without ever opening the baggie. For this you should practice without real spores. 100 mini zips 2x3 at wal mrt in craft dept. $1 dollar.

I haven't read all your posts, but advise you read up on proper grain prep and pre-  or soaking prep, or pftek, and proper use of a pc/ sterilization techniques. Understand its not about the amount of water or grain you use, but about the grain being hydrated properly. For everyone in every environment that will be different. Use the teks here as guidelines, but realize it may not fit your situation exactly.  Most green comes from improperly sterilized or prepared grain, If it is happening in three days, next time you make jars, wait 5 days after pc'ing  before you innoculate. See if they contam in that time. NO?, then you've isolated a potential problem and know to look elsewhere. I always leave one jar alone.No spores. Just to see how clean my grain prep and pc'ing were.

If your grain or pf jars dont look exactly as they should before and after pcing, you're wasting your time, money and spores.That means no excess water in jars, your cakes dont look like slurry or mush, your grain is not exploded or totally wet looking etc.

If you don't use a pc, Pftek/steaming is the only way you have a chance at success. Sure others have succeeded in other ways, but not until they got their process down, and not reliably. And especially not in an environment with heavy contam spore load.

I realize there is so much info here, and piecing together a plan is difficult. You want to try what all the experienced guys do,.so many options!.  But for your situation. Lessen the probable causes of contamination, reduce the variable,,.simplicity rules, and patience prevails.

Im not trying to sound condescending I Just want you to succeed and every variable you add beyond a sterile sealed GB for work, is an added chance for failure. There are many ways to succeed. But just as many that insure failure. Lessen those chances. Simplify, stay basic, then work your way to experimenting, before you get disgusted, frustrated, and just give up. You can do this! We can help you.!

Best of luck, foster

Perhaps one day we'll meet up, if we do we should make a youtube video of exactly what you just described? All the extra step justs make one slow and clumbsy. All one needs is to understand why and how contaminates are introduced to know how to prevent it. Being smooth and fluid like in your motions is by far less risky than all the clandestine makeshift lab equipment the OMC preaches.

Last year some friends flew me out to teach them how to grow after years and many failed attempt with pre-made subtrates, kits, spores, etc. I taught them the way I know and you described above. They instantly had success, then later they expanded their research  and discovered Youtube videos of "Willy Myco" and folks telling them that what they were doing was all wrong. A year later they send me pic of their now again failing grows and I see stuff I didn't teach them to use in the background. SGFC and heaters, even a GB (which isn't bad) in the background. I could tell that they were taking advice from somewhere else and where asking how to fix what wasn't working as well. Ah well this is getting long winded! Walter i hope you are reading this! But in the end, simple is better. Keep it simple as you can possibly understand! If you don't understand it then its to complicated. Simple it down to what ya can understand even if it means doing cakes in open air.  

• Foster, crazy1, Amanita Versicula and 1 other like this

#12 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:55 PM

While I generally with the overall premise of keeping it simple and don't go overboard with equipment, I have to ask where the OP would get these clean spore prints. The environment described in the post certainly doesn't sound conducive to making such prints without some kind of equipment.

• Foster and Amanita Versicula like this

#13 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

Thanks :blush:  I take that as quite a compliment. And I agree the movements, smoothness, fluidity and preparedness in your actions while working are essential This would apply from a clean print in a ziplock, to a flow hood in a clean area as well.

Just as joeya described arm, and hand positioning while working in the flow. :thumbs_up: .

Now this can be achieved also through practice. on a dummy setup. You'll soon find where items belong in front of you, how to limit movement and not have to reach in your pocket for your lighter in the middle of hitting jars lol.

I'm not contradicting any previous posters either, every answer you got was correct.   I just dont think, in your environment AV, moving the air around you in anyway, is gonna be beneficial.  And its unlikley you will find, buy, or build a powerful enough filter to do what you need in that environment.

coorsmikey- long winded? Did you not just read my novella? :biggrin:  And believe me I could go on and on ahah, about my lab grade 200 something cfm 6 inch  hepa filtered laminar flow sitting virtually unused in its box, next to my $6 plastic Sterilite tub glove box in the basement ;)

Sorry about that, I just get frustrated when I see someone try really hard and struggle so much. Trying everything but not knowing if your starting point could be the vector, the print, technique, or grain/sterilization. Its tough and I been there.

It gives me the need to over explain, instead of making it simple as I have advised. :blush:  :biggrin:

#14 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:49 PM

While I generally with the overall premise of keeping it simple and don't go overboard with equipment, I have to ask where the OP would get these clean spore prints. The environment described in the post certainly doesn't sound conducive to making such prints without some kind of equipment.

Sorry for double post.  I agree, making prints wont be simple, but certainly can be done. I do it. And unless she gets to the point of fruiting caps, that's not an issue .  But something to be considered when the time comes for sure.

Again a GB and a small print box is much better for printing than moving air in a contam filled environment. And if its really that bad, it will already be too late before the cap is even removed for printing. No equipment can change that.

I hope AV got a syr from Sporeworks. Getting a clean start is essential. Just like you said joeya ,about unknown prints.  You cant get a clean jar from a bad print.

If i had done any work recently at all I would just send one. I have not. 

Sorry AV Im not sure why i assumed you were a female, maybe your avatar. Apologies if you are a guy and I said she ;).

Wishing you luck and patience as you figure this out.:)

Edited by Foster, 08 August 2019 - 10:58 PM.

#15 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 302 posts

Donator

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

Best of luck, foster

Perhaps one day we'll meet up, if we do we should make a youtube video of exactly what you just described? All the extra step justs make one slow and clumbsy. All one needs is to understand why and how contaminates are introduced to know how to prevent it. Being smooth and fluid like in your motions is by far less risky than all the clandestine makeshift lab equipment the OMC preaches.

Last year some friends flew me out to teach them how to grow after years and many failed attempt with pre-made subtrates, kits, spores, etc. I taught them the way I know and you described above. They instantly had success, then later they expanded their research  and discovered Youtube videos of "Willy Myco" and folks telling them that what they were doing was all wrong. A year later they send me pic of their now again failing grows and I see stuff I didn't teach them to use in the background. SGFC and heaters, even a GB (which isn't bad) in the background. I could tell that they were taking advice from somewhere else and where asking how to fix what wasn't working as well. Ah well this is getting long winded! Walter i hope you are reading this! But in the end, simple is better. Keep it simple as you can possibly understand! If you don't understand it then its to complicated. Simple it down to what ya can understand even if it means doing cakes in open air.  

I AM "Rather adept" ~various aliases~at making VIDS~I AM GONNA START IN THIS ARENA INSTEAD OF 'TRYING TO INFORM" the MED MUSHROOM ~IT'S MY PASSION+ 

THANKS MY FRIENDS~

• Foster likes this

#16 Amanita Versicula

Amanita Versicula

Sanity Within

• OG VIP
  • 302 posts

Donator

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

i did order from them. and it was came really quick…like i ordered Friday & it was here on Monday.

But i knew i had a 'therapy appt' SO i asked to have me sign for IT.

So it will be coming today~where i am gonna wait for them.

i am doing my BRF now+

so they will be cooled & tomorrow do my INC~

I COULD STAY HERE ALL DAY but Alas~have "other chores to do"...

THANK YOU ALL~you ARE THE PEEPS I WANNA BE WITH EVERY DAY of my LIFE.

Probably why i am alone. BECAUSE i wanted to be "ALICE" and live like that.

IN THE WORLD OF FUNGI~

but a triple VIRGO & "if you think that's not PROBLEMATIC" please think again!

OCD PREVAILS+ not my choosing~

Love to YOU ALL~thanks for my crazy stuff. 

i never mean to be MEAN+ but a little Krazy

as i listen to the "STREET-SWIPER" go by on a country road. My taxes HARD @ work. 

​SOCIETY~has made me NUTZ~not me…Jahahajaha+

be BLESSED my FRIENDS….

Edited by Amanita Versicula, 13 August 2019 - 09:12 AM.

• Foster and crazy1 like this

#17 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

Happy to hear you got a chance for that clean start! Do what you do.. :cool:.   I'll be checking back in, and sending good vibes for success.

#18 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

Glad to hear you are on the way down the right track! Good luck, looking forward to updates!

#19 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your country road got swiped! Kids these days just don't get how important they are. I hope they return the roads soon!

• Foster, crazy1, Amanita Versicula and 1 other like this

#20 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

:biggrin:  Coorsmikey always ready to add a bit of levity and humor.  That bit of laughter each day..,  That's what keeps me sane.

My best to all for a wonderful evening.! :hug:

• coorsmikey and Amanita Versicula like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!