Is my substrate ruined?
Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:56 PM
I was being pretentious and I tried to rush my pasteurization by heating my substrate to 300 (for a half hour)
I thought I intuitively knew better than the instructions I was reading and instead of taking a minute to read more I just went ahead and heated it to 300
Afterwards I read that this can wake up bad molds
Is there anything I can do to fix it? Would it get rid of those molds if I put it into a very cold freezer for a week or so?
Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:29 PM
Pasteurization is a game of win or lose.
It is designed to foster microbes which prefer temperatures between 140 and 160*F. Microbes which thrive in these temperatures proliferate as a result of (properly) completing the process.
Temperatures above the 160*F range tend to destroy the populations you intended to foster. It also causes bacterial endospores to form as the bacteria build bunkers to survive the onslaught of high temperatures.
The first micro-organisms to recover will likely be the bacteria - which will consume the favorable microbes we were intending to foster in the first place.
Long story short.........
Use that flame-broiled material outdoors on the compost pile.
Start fresh and follow the recipe.
Edited by Myc, 07 August 2019 - 03:30 PM.
Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:37 PM
I am doing it without a pressure cooker though, do you still think 160 would suffice?
Posted 07 August 2019 - 03:55 PM
I hope I didn't come across as rude or off-putting.
Perhaps you may benefit from a read of Paul Stamets' "The Mushroom Cultivator". There are .pdf versions available online for free.
Basically what you are asking is, "Will I be OK even though I didn't follow the recipe?"
The simple answer - as given by any organic chemist - is "No".
The procedure is written in a detailed manner (a.k.a. "recipe") in order that if the steps were performed properly - the results will be uniform to any given laboratory. This is true of cakes, pies, assorted pastries and glazes, beer, myco-culture, etc.
I'm giving a personal answer to a general question. I would not use the substrate you've described after having been subjected to the conditions you detail in your summary. I would start again and follow the recipe.
Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:29 PM
I wasn't off put. I hope I didn't say anything that would make it seem as if I was. I am aware I was being pretentious in thinking heating it to 300 degrees would be a good idea. And although people generally agree, to some degree, when it comes to temperatures, there is still *some* margin of variance between recipes from different mushroom growers; (and brewers, and bakers) for example, no one would recommend 300, but some people do recommend 180-190, while others may say 150 or 160. Some say don't go above 180. Some say don't go above 200. You said more than 160 is bad. I was wondering, if, since I am doing it without a pressure cooker, if I should aim towards the higher end, since I am relying on heat alone to do the job. Perhaps instead of erring on the higher end, I should just keep it heated for a longer duration of time? Or is it not really so vital to pressurize it?
Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:02 PM
Sterilization and pasteurization are two completely different animals when discussing mycology here. Perhaps the are being thought of one in the same during your research?
Edited by coorsmikey, 08 August 2019 - 03:07 PM.