Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Check out my jars also is my room bright enough?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:38 PM

I am a complete noob to cultivation and this tapatalk app lol (sorry to whomever I just sent my pics to). I just inoculated my BRF jars about 3 days ago and I ground my own BRF. I'm planning on using on using Bod's unmodified monotub tek and a 50/50 coir/verm substrate. I used a SAB and I'm going to be using (2) 32qt tubs. Here's some pictures of my jars. Let me know if the lighting is good enough for fruiting conditions when the time comes. The varieties are Rusty Whyte and Golden Teacher.cd99826d3ebbce2d716fa9b9ba728491.jpgf3b2a441e9996cd1fa083bbcb821f437.jpg04b8fdd17c3c29e4894f6a8325285af0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#2 Nanban

Nanban

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

Your light seems fine. When i grow in BRF jars, i keep them in my room with similar light to yours if the light is on at night. But i also have windows in my room to let in natural light therefore i keep my room lights off during the day. I did notice one thing though about lighting; when i first started growing I kept my fruiting chamber in a corner, so that only one side has direct light to the natural light. I didnt do this for any particular reason except that it was the most functional place to put my FC. i noticed that the molds that were in the side closer to the light fruited quicker and more substantially than the ones in the corner of the FC away from the light. It doesnt seem like it should make much difference and maybe it was just the luck of the draw that those mold just happened to fruit quicker, i never cared to experiment. Anyway, now i leave my fruiting chamber in a place that gets equal full indirect sunlight from my windows, and things tend to grow more evenly now. My point is, light is a good thing and i think yours is spot on. Question though, is yours natural or artificial light? Honestly, im not really sure if it makes a difference, i use natural bc i can.

#3 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for the reply friend. The light is natural light from a window. I'm just so excited!

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

Light isn’t as need as people seem to think. I was told if you can physically see them, then it is bright enough.
I never found the article but an engineer friend said he has seen an article where the light emitted from a single spark was enough to start the process.
I really should ask him to find that again and send me a link.
  • SteampunkScientist likes this

#5 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

That would be nice to see that. If you find it post it so others can check it out. Thanks for the advice

#6 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

People always say that light is not necessary or important to grow. That may be true as SGFC's work too. But have you ever seen a beautiful canopy grown with insufficient light? Just because someone say it works and that gets repeated over and over, doesn't mean it works well. There are so many mistake one can make and still get mushrooms. Like Nanban mentions, with better or proper light you will have better results if larger aesthetically pleasing yields are desired. If one just want to see if the can grow a few mushrooms then by all means grow in the dark. Anyone that is in the know and not just repeating what they read on forums will definitely provide their colonies ample light. Maybe it only take a millisecond from a spark to start a couple of pins. I would like to challenge any one with experience to show results or documentation of superior results from insufficient lighting in comparison to the result of well lighted grows? That also doesn't mean that the brightest big bad ass light is gonna give you a better grow as well. Put a tub 4 inches under a 1000 w hid bulb will absolute be worse on your grow than being in the dark.

#7 DragonFart

DragonFart

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Sorry to be off topic but I've seen the acronym a few time and was curious what SGFC meant? Thanks in advance

#8 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Well put. I appreciate everyone's input and advice thank you. One question I have is about temperature. How long before I start seeing mycelium growing if my room is at a steady 72 degrees Fahrenheit? I'm thinking of putting a small desktop sized heater in the room away from the jars to bring it up a couple degrees.

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:43 PM

Sorry to be off topic but I've seen the acronym a few time and was curious what SGFC meant? Thanks in advance

Ah a true blooded Mycotopiate we have here! SGFC= Shotgun Fruiting Chamber.

Well put. I appreciate everyone's input and advice thank you. One question I have is about temperature. How long before I start seeing mycelium growing if my room is at a steady 72 degrees Fahrenheit? I'm thinking of putting a small desktop sized heater in the room away from the jars to bring it up a couple degrees.

Please do not buzzkill your project with a heater! 72 is just fine unless you're reading a thermometer in Celsius. 

Edited by coorsmikey, 08 August 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• Nicked likes this

#10 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

Thanks I was just try to get the room closer to 75°F but that's just my OCD talking lol

#11 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:48 AM

I am proud to announce my first signs of growth check it out! It's only one of my Rusty Whyte jars but I'm still excited!a34aba7d69c4549f618c1faf763c7ad4.jpg37247aaf1f4693dea5cffbdab0ee69e9.jpgc120b3f93a189380729d17b646586dcd.jpg

• mrmushroomwolf likes this

#12 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

2 more of my Rusty Whyte and 1 of my Golden Teacher jars have also developed mycelium at the inoculation points. Will post pictures when they spread out a bit more.

#13 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

People always say that light is not necessary or important to grow. That may be true as SGFC's work too. But have you ever seen a beautiful canopy grown with insufficient light? Just because someone say it works and that gets repeated over and over, doesn't mean it works well. There are so many mistake one can make and still get mushrooms. Like Nanban mentions, with better or proper light you will have better results if larger aesthetically pleasing yields are desired. If one just want to see if the can grow a few mushrooms then by all means grow in the dark. Anyone that is in the know and not just repeating what they read on forums will definitely provide their colonies ample light. Maybe it only take a millisecond from a spark to start a couple of pins. I would like to challenge any one with experience to show results or documentation of superior results from insufficient lighting in comparison to the result of well lighted grows? That also doesn't mean that the brightest big bad ass light is gonna give you a better grow as well. Put a tub 4 inches under a 1000 w hid bulb will absolute be worse on your grow than being in the dark.

I think that quality light is a need but I stand by 12 hours of light not being required... It is my opinion that 4-6 hours of quality lighting is more than adequate to produce nice flushes of quality mushrooms. The light plays a significant role in the process but we aren't counting on photosynthesis to produce energy here. Do I think 10 minutes of indirect lighting is adequate? Of course not but providing light over a handful of hours should suffice...

I have actually been lazy as of late. I have blue LEDs that I need to wire and havent. I have been relying on poorly strung blue LED rope... The quality of light could certainly be improved.

#14 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:30 AM

Hey buddy thought I should pay your thread some attention :D I’m excited to watch your grow I will also keep mine up to date when did you very first inoculate how many days before you seen growth exactly? I’m so curious to see how your tub goes I’m hard pressed to try a bulk tub and it’s funny because I too wanna try a tek similar to the one you have outlined,. Although I think that because it being my first time around I may go with cased shoeboxes, and/ or trays,. As many as I can to learn each situation and try to garner and facilitate opportunities to learn my craft,. I’m sorry not trying to hijack your thread I’m really interested in some of the similarities I’m finding between our gear from the strains to the un-modified tub idea we should definitely try some different things and share notes on the rusty whyte strain,. I was advised to grow out something else to learn from in the horrible yet not so improbable chance of screwing up and saving it until I know better what I’m doing,. But I digress,. It looked and sounded so intriguing especial after doing a little research,. It could be my main stay strain If I mess it up I’ll have a little spore solution left and I also have the great white monster syringe to play with after I learn some more I figure it’s a slower fruiter therefore finicky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:31 AM

Sorry if that million word comment was just to much and all over the place haha like I said not trying to hijack or blow you up :) peace~

J

#16 dad

dad

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:50 AM

SGFC= shotgun fruiting chamber...…………...

#17 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

I bought a Presto 23qt PC and prepped and PC'd my jars on 9-3.I inoculated my Rusty Whyte around noon on 9-4 and the Golden Teacher that same night around 9pm in a SAB flame sterilizing between jars.I started to notice growth on my Rusty Whyte the night of 9-9. On the day of 9‐10 one of my Golden Teacher jars had a small bit of growth.My room started out at 67°F for the first day then I made some adjustments and bumped it up to 72°F. For my bulk setup I'm using Bod's unmodified monotub tek and prepping my substrate using Bod's coco coir tek from the Shroomery. I hope this answers your questions I need my coffee.

#18 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

Yes thank you :) good luck on your jars bro. That gives me a better idea roughly when to expect to see some sort of progress

• buzzkilluton likes this

#19 Shrooms4all

Shrooms4all

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

Seems I made a mistake, my info was that I was supposed to keep my jars in the dark. But looking at pictures I am happy with my growth. They only been in 7 days so I will start to give them some light now. 

#20 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 3,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

Light isn’t as need as people seem to think. I was told if you can physically see them, then it is bright enough.
I never found the article but an engineer friend said he has seen an article where the light emitted from a single spark was enough to start the process.
I really should ask him to find that again and send me a link.

Yes, I read somewhere (cant find it now of course) that only a few photons are required by some mushrooms to trigger fruiting - but sparks? Well, in Japan, they use artificial lighting to double the mushroom crop! check out this article...

https://www.national...-japan-harvest/

Something to think about!

Edited by SteampunkScientist, 12 August 2019 - 11:15 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!