9 replies to this topic

#1 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:31 AM

Hey topians, been a couple months since I've made a post, I'm taking a break from growing for summer. I have enough stash to last but now i think I might have to toss a whole huge bag out, like half my stash, it's quite a lot.

When damprid gets saturated it melts into a solid block saturated with the water it absorbs, which puddles up.

Well I had some DR in a pill bottle with holes around the cap/top. I sealed it in a gallon ziplock bag with my last harvest which was fan dried, the DR brought it to cracker dry, but it's so humid here that the damprid surprisingly got saturated way quicker than I thought so I didn't change it out when I should have.

Well the pill bottle got knocked over and a little bit of that damprid(calciumchloride) juice, a few drops got on the inside of the bag and on a few fruits. I can't tell which fruits got it on em, and they are mixed in the bag from moving it.

This is a LOT of shrooms, I don't want to toss em all but again, I can't tell which ones have the DR juice on em. 

What do y'all think, is such a tiny amount of calcium chloride enough to justify tossing that much stash out?

#2 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:50 AM

Damn, no replies?

#3 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

I read your post here but I know very little about damprid.. I would say if there's a chance that it's dangerous, you shouldn't eat them. Better off not eating something toxic in my opinion. Although it obviously would suck to lose such a stash. It would suck even more to make yourself or others sick..

I'm new to this hobby but I have been using dry and dry silicone packs for storage. They are enclosed and seem less likely to cause this kind of issue?

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

#4 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

Yeah I ended up putting most of that bag into my compost, and some I made a slurry and dumped it around in my garden, not really thinking anything will grow from it, but there had to be trillions of spores in the bucket, so who knows.

That was almost half of my dried fruits, over 100 grams! Oh well, like you said Mush2learn, better to toss em, calcium chloride is nasty shit that will make you sick. Even though there was only a drop or two that touched only a few fruits, they had gotten mixed up in the bag to where I couldn't tell which ones got some on em.

Eh, when I think hard about the fact that I tossed that many shrooms I'm like, fuck! But oh fuckin well, I have more than what I tossed left, which is probably enough for me for a couple years, and I am still planning to start my grow back up now that it's not 100F and 100% humidity in the house like it was a month and a half ago. I just have some cleaning to do first. I'm keeping it small scale this time, at one point I had too much stash. I really just love growing them.

Edited by Billcoz, 30 September 2019 - 03:05 AM.

#5 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

If the amount really was that small, and the mushrooms had been made into tea, the calcium chloride would not have posed a problem.

While calcium chloride is hazardous to tissues in pure form, that is just because of its reactions when in pure form. Heating when dissolving, sucking moisture out of tissues, being highly saline, etc.

Calcium chloride is routinely used as a food additive, in small amounts in a food matrix its safe.

If its food grade.

Damprid is not food grade, so there is that issue.

Its really one of the worst choices for keeping dry things dry in storage, as you discovered.

You can go to the pharmacy and get pure epsom salts, its used as a laxative so if a tiny bit gets in food it'll have no noticeable effect. Epsom salts are half water, that water has to be driven off to make it into a desiccant. Be careful, it'll boil in the process.

Silica desiccant packets are easier.

• Billcoz likes this

#6 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

Dont feel to bad about it

My dad let me plant a spent bulk substrate in his garden one year, I didnt have time to make it over to check on them but he harvested about 3.5-4oz worth out of the patch, air dried them but left them kind of moist before storing in the fridge..

When I came over he brought me the bags that now had cobweb mold on them.....had to toss them.... ah well, look at it this way, they're a renewable supply.
  • Billcoz likes this

#7 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

Fuck man!  I hate that for ya.

I ate a damp-rid besotted mushroom once myself many years ago - it's some seriously foul shit.  My mouth was all chemical-burny and it stuck with me for a couple days.

Chunking 100g is a shit sandwich, but it sounds like you made a good go of it.  I'm paranoid AF about offering anything to friends that could be even possibly off-kilter.  If it was just me, I'd probably whiz the whole batch in a blender & see what a teaspoon tastes like, but I'm a fucking maniac, so you probably did the right thing.

:)

soliver

• Billcoz likes this

#8 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:36 PM

Thanks yall. I actually don't feel so bad now, like I said I have plenty and I can always grow more, which I am doing soon. I keep putting off cleaning, just gotta do that.

Today I was talking to some friends that have an outdoor cannabis patch, they had 6 plants way too close together in a raised bed, in a small trellis/corral thing. They should have only put 3 or maybe 4 plants in the bed and they didn't prune or lollipop any of the bottom of the plants, so there was very little airflow through there.

It's pretty much deadline for harvest time this week as it's getting down to the 30s at night, so last week he went to do some pre-harvest trimming and noticed mold. A LOT of mold. It was greyish and whitish with some dark spots supposedly it's bud mold.

They quickly harvested it and about died of shock! LOL there was at least 8 lbs wet that was RUINED, probably at least 1-2 lbs dry!!! I felt really really bad for them, they were going to sell most of it and get a new roof for the house. They have some other plants in different beds, all doing really good, they need to be harvested any day, I would have done it already. At least they still have some for themselves though.

I told them about my mishap with the 1 lb+ mushers that I lost. Actually I did pick out and keep some of the bigest fruits in the bag to keep, not a whole lot, just the ones that I know didn't get any calc chloride shit on em, I had see that none of those were not very big. The fruits in that bag were all pretty good sized, I sorted em out by size and "grade", like how nice they look. I guess that makes me a mushroom geek.

Anyways, thanks guys/gals, have a good one.

Edited by Billcoz, 08 October 2019 - 11:40 PM.

• Soliver likes this

#9 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:31 AM

I recommend using mason jars with dry silica gel packets inside.  Seal the shrooms inside the jar and put the jar in a large ziplock bag.  Store somewhere dark. 

Ziplock bags alone let moisture inside.   

• Billcoz likes this

#10 Billcoz

Billcoz

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:44 AM

I recommend using mason jars with dry silica gel packets inside.  Seal the shrooms inside the jar and put the jar in a large ziplock bag.  Store somewhere dark. 

Ziplock bags alone let moisture inside.   

That is how I store em, these were all about to be put in jars when I spilled the pill bottle of damprid, which is just for finish drying them to crackery-crumbly. I store em in jars with silica, as you suggested.

Damprid sealed with mostly dried fruits usually does not get saturated to the point where the container is 1/4 filled with water/damprid juice, but this pillbottle(with holes poked in the lid and around the top) was, and of course I spilled it in the fucking bag lol.

My fruits all get fan dried, then I seal em in 1 or 2 gallon ziplock bags with a container of damprid to get em cracker dry. These had finished and were cracker dry for over a week, sealed in 5 different bags with containers of damprid.

When I went to transfer them into jars for storage I noticed some were less than cracker dry, not wet but not cracker-crumbly like they were a few days before.

It was because the humidity had been so high for a couple days, like seriously humid, and inside the upstairs of my house it gets as bad as outside, maybe worse because there's no air movement. It stays way too hot up there to grow through the summer, that's why I stopped in early summer. 

So I combined the fruits from the 5 1 gallon bags into a 2 gallon with a bunch of other ones that were just fan dried and i put in a pillbottle of fresh damprid and sealed it.

5 humid ass days later it started to get a little less humid, so I checked them for dryness, they were cracker dry again, but the damprid had melted into a clump and the pillbottle was 1/4 full of the DR juice , only 5 days for it to get that saturated.

Anyways, yeah, I wanted to kick myself in the nuts, oh well.

Edited by Billcoz, 10 October 2019 - 12:53 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!