• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WildCate

WildCate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:03 PM

Hi growers!. Im from Chile. Its my first attempt and I have already had problems in the heat / humidity conditions. I managed to colonize mycelium in sterilized rice and I am currently in the fruiting stage. I do not know exactly the name of the method I am using but I use a box with 4 holes on the sides with a fish tank heater that maintains the heat of the water at approximately 75.2F with some "rises" of 87.8F (which explains what following)(the only way to have 75.2 in the wather is set the heater in 87.8 idk why). After the first 4-5 days of substrate colonization (coconut fiber/vermiculite) I had a serious problem with overlay (as you can see in the photos 05-08(12day).JPG  ). So on day 13 I used the scratch technique and sprayed with a solution of h2o2 and water (1: 9) which solved my overlay problem in exchange for "damaging" some mycelium.

I'm on day 15 08-08(15day).JPG  and I still don't see pin signs. I ventilate about 4 times a day and spray water on the walls if I see dry. In addition I keep light on the box about 10 hours.

Have I done something wrong besides using h2o2? Is the design of my box the right one? Do you think I'm on the right track? Can you bless me with your wisdom?

Beforehand sorry for my bad english and thank you for reading.

It is my first attempt and I have already had problems in the heat / humidity conditions. I managed to colonize mycelium in sterilized rice and I am currently in the fruiting stage. I do not know exactly the name of the method I am using but I use a box with 4 holes on the sides with a fish tank heater that maintains the heat of the water at approximately 24 ° C with some "rises" of 31 ° C (which explains what following). After the first 4-5 days of substrate colonization I had a serious problem with overlay (as you can see in the photos). So on day 13 I used the scraping technique and sprayed with a solution of h2o2 and water (1: 9) which solved my overlay problem in exchange for "damaging" some mycelium. I'm on day 15 and I still don't see pin signs. I ventilate about 4 times a day and spray water on the walls if I see dry. In addition I keep light on the box about 10 hours. Have I done something wrong besides using h2o2? Is the design of my box the right one? Do you think I'm on the right track?

You are an amazing community and I hope to continue participating and learning.

Attached Thumbnails

• 27-07 (3day).jpg
  • 01-08(8day).JPG

#2 WildCate

WildCate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

Another pic :3

Attached Thumbnails

• SAM_1307.JPG

#3 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,239 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

Obviously too much humidity in first set of pics. Are the last two pics both after the scratching?  If the second pic in the last post is the new one, Your humidity is still staying too high. Reduce or stop misting and fan more often if you plan on using or need the heater because of room temp.

It looks healthy and growing fast.

Why the water and heater? Are temps in the the room too cold? Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

If the room is already in the correct range 72-78,  and is comfortable for you, get rid of the water and heater. No need for the excess humidity. You dont want to see water droplets on the sub/casing surface.

It is always a possibility that this myc just wont produce fruit, Very uncommon though.

Good luck. keep updating. More folks will try to give you a hand here . Other than the humidity, that baby looks ready to produce pins at any time.

Edited by Foster, 09 August 2019 - 12:45 AM.

#4 WildCate

WildCate

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

Oh sorry for the pic order. The last 2 pics is from the growing of the overlay. And its winter here so the temp in the room its around 64F

Thanks for your help c:

#5 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,239 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:23 AM

Be patient, It may take a few more days to recover to the point of pinning. Did the peroxide cause the slight dicoloration?

If it continues to just grow myc after more than a week-10 days after scratching, you might consider adding a very thin layer of casing(vermiculite?)

But I'd wait, see what happes. Good luck 

#6 Shrooms4all

Shrooms4all

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

Interesting setup, never seen that before. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!