Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

My first pin! At a bad time! Need a little advise...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Right so guys after weeks and weeks of worrying and waiting I finally have my first pin!!! Problem is I am away for a night from 9am tomorrow (sat) till lunchtime sunday! I have multiple other jars which I guess are going to start pinning also! Should I leave them as they are until I get back Sunday, then dunk and roll them ? Or can I dunk them tomorrow before leave and roll on sunday? Is just over 24hours to long to leave them dunking ? Or I think I heard you can stall them in fridge?

Anyways you guys are the experts , so I will take your advice

So happy feel like a proud father

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190809_184557.jpg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,404 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

They will be fine left alone for another 48 hours! (geesh dad you worry to much) Most likely you will return home on Sunday will many more pins to be proud of.

#3 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

They will be fine left alone for another 48 hours! (geesh dad you worry to much) Most likely you will return home on Sunday will many more pins to be proud of.

Haha! Awesome ! That is what I will do then! Do the pins survive the dunk? I guess I just leave them on there to continue to grow after the roll ?

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,300 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Stalling them in the fridge works, but is not ideal. Put them in sealed bags (ziplock, etc.) first since fridges are generally filthy. It also helps insulate them against freeze burn, which they can get in a fridge if the temp is set close to freezing and you place the jars right next to where all the cold air is blown in.

Ideally you birth them as soon as you see the knots starting to appear (the pre-pinning stage) since birthing a cake tends to damage/destroy any pins or maturing mushrooms that are already on it.

Leaving the cakes in the jars to fruit works, too and is known as the "invitro" method. I would probably just leave them as-is and birth them after they grow what looks like a decent flush (that is, let them grow in the jars like the invitro method then harvest, dunk, and fruit them for subsequent flushes in a fruiting chamber or whatever you'd planned to use).

Edited by TVCasualty, 09 August 2019 - 01:11 PM.

• firerat likes this

#5 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Stalling them in the fridge works, but is not ideal. Put them in sealed bags (ziplock, etc.) first since fridges are generally filthy. It also helps insulate them against freeze burn, which they can get in a fridge if the temp is set close to freezing and you place the jars right next to where all the cold air is blown in.

Ideally you birth them as soon as you see the knots starting to appear (the pre-pinning stage) since birthing a cake tends to damage/destroy any pins or maturing mushrooms that are already on it.

Leaving the cakes in the jars to fruit works, too and is known as the "invitro" method. I would probably just leave them as-is and birth them after they grow what looks like a decent flush (that is, let them grow in the jars like the invitro method then harvest, dunk, and fruit them for subsequent flushes in a fruiting chamber or whatever you'd planned to use).

I appreciate the advise ! I would prefer not to do the invite tek, I would feel more comfortable just using a fruiting chamber, this is the only pin on all 7 of my jars so I'm hoping I will not have many by sunday!

#6 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

this is the only pin on all 7 of my jars so I'm hoping I will not have many by sunday!

First time I've ever read someone hoping not to have too many pins!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#7 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

I ran into this exact scenario with my first run. I had to leave town for 3 days just after my jars started pinning. I left them in their jars, put them in sealed bags and into a cardboard box in the back of the bottom shelf of the fridge. Dunked for 20 hrs the day I got back, rolled them and put them out to fruit. I still managed 650 wet on the first flush of 8 half pints. The cakes started pinning again after 3-4 days...

#8 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:11 AM

If you dont have alot of pins when u get back. You can birth and dunk..i always do when i have pins. Never grew invitro- but when i go to dunk and am rinsing the cake my pins I do have usually come off. I dry em for my abort/shake stash. Then i just dunk and fruit like normal. Losing those first couple invitro pins doesnt hurt my yield at all.

#9 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Am on my way home so will update once I'm back! Haha mush2learn I know right I've been waiting weeks to see one and I was like "yes!" Oh wait...I'm leaving :(! Mad420 that's great to hear hope I get some good flushes, think this 1 batch will last me years :')

#10 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:00 AM

I ran into this exact scenario with my first run. I had to leave town for 3 days just after my jars started pinning. I left them in their jars, put them in sealed bags and into a cardboard box in the back of the bottom shelf of the fridge. Dunked for 20 hrs the day I got back, rolled them and put them out to fruit. I still managed 650 wet on the first flush of 8 half pints. The cakes started pinning again after 3-4 days...

Awesome man! Is that a usual amount of a flush of 8 half pints ! Didnt know I would have that much Haha well let's not jinx it!

#11 Thirdeyeplants

Thirdeyeplants

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have seen much better, ive also seen less. This particular run did great the first flush, not so much on the second, then an outbreak of green monster. I still ended up with about 1000 fresh when all was said and done...

#12 mad420pumpkinz

mad420pumpkinz

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

My trays i made with 7 half pints got 30g dry first flush. The 15 i fruited as cakes got i think 67g dry

Just anecdotal..usually around an eighth dry per cake first flush is average. Imo atleast

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!