• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:53 AM

Is this a viable option for spawn? It was laying around,. Could I use it just like whole oats or is it totally off the mark for some reason?8fac0eddf98b5d5d28f126e49cddca94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:12 PM

I’m not desperate to use this bag of rolled oats or nothing but would be nice to use what is lying around the house already before going out to get more stuff,. I also have a bag of short brown rice that should be ok when prepped correctly right? I’m sorry if this question is answered in other threads, I did a google search of it and didn’t find anything really pertinent except that nobody uses rolled oats as spawn substrate

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

I am pretty sure that will not work. I feel like that would just turn to a soppy mess.
This is just an educated guess. Not based of years of experience.

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

Think of oatmeal! It will stick together and be a slimy mess, slightly worse that whole brown rice. You can most likely find whole wheat berries or whole oat if you found rolled oats. Both of which you will thank us for  warning you about the rolled oats.

#5 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

Okay awesome! Thank you so much for stopping me from making a mistake I didn’t know if it was very much different or no,. Thanks coorsmikey :D

#6 elfstone

elfstone

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 289 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:07 PM

A great recipe for Ps. mexicana we have used is 3 parts ryegrass seed 2 parts rye berries, 1 part steel cut oats (i.e. Irish oatmeal) along with 1/4 part oat bran for added phosphorous, soaked overnight and sterilized in a mycobag sealed with a tube clip at 15 psi for 2 hours. This is then allowed to cool and inoculated with 250 ml liquid culture. The substrate can be massaged and mixed after a few days and will be fully colonized in a week to 10 days. With the mycobags you don’t need to worry about shaking anything. The mycobag can be cased directly or laid out in trays for casing. Mycobags are much easier and far safer than handling glass jars. Most distributors are purchasing bags wholesale from Unicorn Bags and then redistributing them via their retail outlets, including Fungi Perfecti

Edited by elfstone, 11 August 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:49 PM

I got a deal from out-grow.com for four jars pre-sterilized quart jars of hydrated rye berry along came four one lb bags of pre-sterilized myco bags of hydrated manure including gas exchange patches on said bags for to use as environment of fruiting conditions,. Was pretty good deal thank you for that tidbit’ about wholesale retail sale of mycobags! I plan to begin creating my own spawns now that I have a pc!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!