• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

Wicked fast sandman! Starting to think I did something wrong, because still no visible growth? Maybe I'm a bad racer. Mycmobile blew the engine during burn out or something. Sorry hyphae! You might have to do another race for yourself!

I am exhausted after a 12 hour day, so I'm not even gonna post a picture. No noticeable growth visible yet. Hoping some ever even shows up! I must have messed up along the way somewheres

#42 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:38 PM

Ok so I'm finally showing growth!

I've found about 6 very small spots of what definitely looks like healthy mycelium to me. Most of these spots are deep in the grain, not really on the outside so very hard to take a picture, but I circled 2 here. One is obvious and on the outer edge, the other is harder to see and deeper.

20190814_193245_noexif.jpg

I'm sure sandman is still far in the lead. But I'm excited to at least see growth! Could be the myc is colonizing the middle first? It may not be a victory but at least it looks like it could be success!
  • sandman likes this

#43 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

Nice! 

I am going to shake my jars tonight I reckon.

#44 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

I think the myc pulled off the wbs was a bit whispy/lite/young/unmatted. This is why I like to use popcorn. We shall see...

#45 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

Mush2Learn are you still keeping the jar at 72-73 degrees? You can’t do anything about the genetics but you can definitely do something about the temperature to get ideal growth rates. Maybe it will catch up!

#46 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

If LC wins it's because *insert excuse here*

Surely it has nothing to do with LC being superior.

When your ready to get it on you let me know hyph. This LC is nearly 2 months old at room temp. I've got some fresh stuff brewing just for you. 

#47 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

How are you looking over there mush2learn? I'm at about 80% maybe more. Looks like 2 days 'til finish for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190817_145427.jpg

#48 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

Going to be a closer race than we thought! I'd say I'm well over 50% no shake. Gonna shake today and should be done in 2 days!

20190817_185759_noexif.jpg 20190817_185706_noexif.jpg 20190817_185730_noexif.jpg 20190817_185906_noexif.jpg

Just got back in town from telluride mushrooms festival. It's been sitting 73-75

If we finish within 1 or 2 days of each other I'd say incomplete test, especially considering this is untested multispore and slightly different grains.
  • sandman likes this

#49 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:05 PM

All shook up! Here's to hoping for a quick recovery. It'll be 100 percent in no time!

I wonder how Kapn is doing?

Edited by Mush2Learn, 17 August 2019 - 08:07 PM.

#50 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:10 PM

Nice yea I bet we finish within a day or two of each other. 

Edited by sandman, 17 August 2019 - 08:10 PM.

#51 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

Interesting how close the race has become! I'm excited that the LI exploded once it started. Pretty cool!

I think one could really argue either side from this experiment, and a better experiment with more controls is needed. I'm hoping Kapn can come along and help give some data!

#52 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 394 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:05 PM

The jar I'm going to use for the source of the LI is colonizing. I'm still here in the shadows waiting until I have something to add
  • Mush2Learn likes this

#53 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

That's done. Precisely 7 days from inoculation. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190818_205218.jpg

• SporeyMF likes this

#54 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Very beautiful! Mine is still recovering, but looking good last I looked. I'm not there to check it now to take a picture but will pose an update tomorrow evening. Should be pretty close by then. 7 days is nice though! That's usually about how long my g2g take with a heaping spoonful.

#55 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

Update on yours?

#56 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:50 AM

That's done. Precisely 7 days from inoculation. 

7 freakin days... I hate inoculating jars... I tend to use less LC so I don't have to continuously fill syringes... 7 days is enviable though and it may be worth the hassle...

• sandman likes this

#57 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hah yea I haven't done a jar in years. I'm a bag dude through and through. Usually with bags it is a longer colonization, 7lb bags usually taking about 12-15 days with 30cc LC. Dang ol' jars got me reconsidering all of my life choices now! 

• Microbe likes this

#58 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

I can't update right this second. Me and my girls cars are down. Gotta walk to get parts. Might stop at my house for a look. Bet it done now, but it wasn't done last night around 7 eastern. I must concede defeat, but I'll still post a pic when I can. And I'm still not too upset with 9 days. G2G has been finishing in about 7 for me, but seems more likely to contam because of open air. But I'm also growing some LC's so good to know it'll be fast!

#59 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,663 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

Let it be known that Liquid Culture (nutrient broth that the culture grows in) is faster and hotter than Liquid Inoculant (sterile water that is mixed with mycelium from a separate grown culture)

The only liquid inoculant that compares to or even beats liquid culture are slurries that involve blenders. Because then you are really forcing all the myclium available in the mother culture into the inoculant. 

If you do not have a flowhood and good agar work I highly recommend you use liquid inoculant (but not a slurry from a blender). They are still respectable and much less prone to contamination for knuckle heads because they have no nutrients and are used immediately and you can visually inspect the mother jar for clean growth before making the inoculant. 

And thats all I got to say about that.

Edited by sandman, 21 August 2019 - 08:41 AM.

#60 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,449 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Let it be known that Liquid Culture (nutrient broth that the culture grows in) is faster and hotter than Liquid Inoculant (sterile water that is mixed with mycelium from a separate grown culture)

The only liquid inoculant that compares to or even beats liquid culture are slurries that involve blenders. Because then you are really forcing all the myclium available in the mother culture into the inoculant. 

If you do not have a flowhood and good agar work I highly recommend you use liquid inoculant (but not a slurry from a blender). They are still respectable and much less prone to contamination for knuckle heads because they have no nutrients and are used immediately and you can visually inspect the mother jar for clean growth before making the inoculant. 

And thats all I got to say about that.

here ye 2.png    Sandmeista has spoken!!

• sandman likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!