Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Best types of psilocybin to grow an in an outdoor patch in the UK.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pitchforkmonty

pitchforkmonty

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

Hello everyone.

My close friend and I are currently working on getting an outdoor patch set up and are finding it hard to gather any outdoor cultivation information that applies to the UK. Cubensis doesn't grow naturally here, yet I am pretty confident that you could manipulate the conditions to form an environment where Cubensis would grow. So thats my main question; what types of psilocybin mushroom should I be attempting to grow here? (South Coast of the UK).

I would also be very grateful if someone could shed some light on what sort of time of year I should be setting up my patch? I've seen posts by mycotopians located in America that have been prepping their patches during April, and EU continental posters that reccomend prepping the patch before September / October.

Cheers!

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,897 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

You want to arrange your cubensis patch around the summer seasonal temperatures.

Start at the beginning of your "summer" - when you would normally transplant peppers and tomatoes for your area. If you don't know, ask a local gardener. Start building spawn a month in advance of the time-frame when you need to "plant" the outdoor bed. After that all of the hard work is done.

• pitchforkmonty likes this

#3 kevinholmes

kevinholmes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

I am not sure about this, I am a noob... I am not sure what you should plant I don't think it should matter too much... You are planning an outdoor patch... You'll definitely need spawn to get it going... Correct me if I am wrong but I think it's best to put a fully populated spawn to give you a leg up against contaminants that are sure to infect your patch in an area that isn't meant to grow your shrooms... I'd also like to know how this goes for you when you get advice from a better source than my noob status... If I recall correctly liberty caps grow in Ireland and the UK... I don't know anything about them except they are small shrooms... I will be watching this post to see what develops with some more experienced advice...

here is a quote from another shroom site...

I am hoping to try my luck at finding some liberty caps in the wild this year...

I have read up and looked at pictures and things on identifying them and I'll like post pictures here for help should we come back with anything...

But my question is, when would be a good time to go, because we've had a heat wave summer and little rain, and I know it's around september (later) but are there any times or signs in the weather etc. I should def look for before I stomp out to the nearest fields?

I am under the impression it is a bit too early and need to wait for more rain...

Also, I read but couldn't find any information on poisonous look-a-likes to liberty caps...did I miss something or are all look-a-likes harmless. I obviously won't be taking any risks but for peace of mind be nice to know...

Thank you to all those who reply! If I missed something vital tell em and i'll reply or edit it in...

Btw, I am in the south of england.

Edited by kevinholmes, 10 August 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#4 kevinholmes

kevinholmes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

I've just looked it up and found that there are 9 shroom species in the UK... I can't post the page I found because it's another shroom site... Sounds like you just might be in better shape than you thought regarding Shrooms in the UK  I found the info in about 15 seconds so the info you need is easy to find... Good Luck...

#5 pitchforkmonty

pitchforkmonty

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

I am not sure about this, I am a noob... I am not sure what you should plant I don't think it should matter too much... You are planning an outdoor patch... You'll definitely need spawn to get it going... Correct me if I am wrong but I think it's best to put a fully populated spawn to give you a leg up against contaminants that are sure to infect your patch in an area that isn't meant to grow your shrooms... I'd also like to know how this goes for you when you get advice from a better source than my noob status... If I recall correctly liberty caps grow in Ireland and the UK...

You can't easily grow liberty caps indoors or outdoors, just best to pick them between September and November. I plan to inoculate and colonise a substrate and use that in the patch - I was thinking sawdust or brown rice flour or something.

#6 pitchforkmonty

pitchforkmonty

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:23 PM

I've just looked it up and found that there are 9 shroom species in the UK... I can't post the page I found because it's another shroom site... Sounds like you just might be in better shape than you thought regarding Shrooms in the UK  I found the info in about 15 seconds so the info you need is easy to find... Good Luck...

Just because they grow in the UK doesn't mean any of them can be remotely useful when trying to develop my own outdoor patch. Cubensis doesn't grow naturally in the UK yet the conditions can be met - that is what my question is about.

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,897 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

If you're truly new to the science I recommend exploring PF Tek as a way to produce clean spawn.

Once the cakes are fully colonized you can transfer them outdoors to a patch of manure which has been field-hydrated in open air with a garden hose. No need for sterility beyond spawn building.

Case the patch with leaves or loose, airy mulch. Wait about 30-45 days - water periodically if you aren't getting rain. You'll have caps the size of tea-cup saucers.

#8 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

I can't speak for cubensis, but I have had good results from a bag of rye inoculated with a multispore syringe of psilocybe cyanescens (from a well known vendor in the US), then into soaked and strained alder chips, then into the ground. The first autumn there was no sign, second autumn was a good show of fruits, this year will be the third year.
I've thought about doing cubes as an annual thing. Should be possible on that basis?

Edited by swayambhu, 10 August 2019 - 05:24 PM.

• Nicked likes this

#9 pitchforkmonty

pitchforkmonty

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

I can't speak for cubensis, but I have had good results from a bag of rye inoculated with a multispore syringe of psilocybe cyanescens (from a well known vendor in the US), then into soaked and strained alder chips, then into the ground. The first autumn there was no sign, second autumn was a good show of fruits, this year will be the third year.
I've thought about doing cubes as an annual thing. Should be possible on that basis?

Yeah thats what I've been finding when I've been researching as well - getting a couple solid fruits through summer / autumn and then again the year after. Should hopefully work if I was to get it set up in April maybe.

#10 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

Annual basis would suggest that you need to start afresh each year. Being tropical I don't know if cubensis would survive winter.
Cyanescens seem good, though, and are very potent.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!