• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

Here are some pictures of Psilocybe cubensis "Costa Rica" beginning to fruit on cakes made from shredded cardboard, whole wheat flour, and water in a 2:1:1 ratio by volume. This substrate is considerably more dense than PF Tek cakes, so colonization is slower. Wide mouth jars would be better for next time. These were inoculated with agar wedges - no isolation or selection was intentionally performed, just had to clean up a spore print - and used the neglect tek after that.

cb_1.JPG cb_2.JPG cb_3.JPG

• Foster, hyphaenation, bezevo and 1 other like this

#2 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:09 AM

Nice try on an alternative substrate , Interesting,

Those appear to be wide mouth jars for the type of jar they are. Others taper inward at top.

Are you doing them kind of invitro or opening the jars for fae?

cool stuff, keep posting as they progress :)

#3 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

Awesome :smile:

I always have whole wheat flour and its good to see a vermiculite alternative.

I do wonder if it wouldn't hold enough moisture for birthed fruiting, but if nothing else this could be an easy way to get a clean fruiting body to clone.

• Mush2Learn likes this

#4 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:37 AM

These were a spur of the moment idea to fill up space in the pressure cooker, and I ran out of flour while mixing the substrate. So, most of these regular mouth half pint jars are not very full. I am using synthetic filter disc lids (on top of a normal lid with holes in it) for air exchange. I am trying the first flush in vitro, complete "neglect tek" - the jars are not opened between inoculation and the first harvest.

Here are pictures of the first flush from a jar with 1/2 cup volume of substrate. Fresh weight was 20g. The cap of the largest mushroom is damaged from pressing against the lid of the jar. I am dunking the cake now and will try for a second flush in a small terrarium. The other jars are not quite ready to harvest yet.

cb_flush.JPG cb_dish.JPG

Edited: changed ambiguous units

Edited by newmoon, 13 August 2019 - 12:25 PM.

• Foster likes this

#5 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Wow! thats great. It appears that big one sucked all the energy it could form the substrate leaving the other to fight for scraps. Choice clone maybe :). 

Love the neglect stuff, the less I mess the better the harvest many times. and just so easy... Good job..

• newmoon likes this

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,746 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!