7 replies to this topic

#1 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

I guess that's a good title for sharing what I found either in the woods or my yard..... showing different things and sharing what we do with them ..... food, medical, tools, plants to grow etc.

So here's the haul we found today.....

IMG_20190810_231711.jpg

Red berries are fire or pin cherry

Yellow mushrooms are tiny chanterelles....to tiny but they were in the trail a dog almost stepped on them as this guy was passing us.... I told him to "be careful I was just about to get down and take a picture" he looked at me weird but was careful as the dog dragged him down a trai

Oh ya tree ear this mushie deserves the look ;) I had two with my stir-fry noodles ... two chanterelles too :-)

Two tomatoes from the garden we got rain don't want the bigger ones to split..... want the other ones to absorb more water......

And stevia?....... that very sweet herb......sugar substitute? Anyway...... from my yard not wild here....I thought it be nice to cook it with the cherries and make a jelly ......get some crab apples for the pectin and it be all ingredients that I grew or found.....:-) Oh ya a cayenne pepper was in the pic too for heat.....sweet, sour and heat it be even good with meat wild game especially.....it be a good tendering marrinade

Edited by wildedibles, 10 August 2019 - 10:57 PM.

• Juthro, GLP and OzarkImagery like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:06 PM

Thats a nice haul, WildE :)

Are those red berries huckleberries? 

(I should've looked more carefully, you already told us what they were,  :rolleyes:)

Edited by Juthro, 11 August 2019 - 12:35 AM.

• wildedibles likes this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

Thats a nice haul, WildE :)

Are those red berries huckleberries?

Nope...pin cherry or fire cherry.... working on some Links to names..... thanks Juthro

Stevia
https://en.m.wikiped...evia_rebaudiana

Pin cherry
https://en.m.wikiped...us_pensylvanica

Edited by wildedibles, 10 August 2019 - 11:51 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

My wife and I just went to a extension service class at the library today to learn more about identifying local wild berries, and plants. 

I am better at identifying plants where I grew in the Northern Oregon Coast mountains.  So it was nice to get some pointers from folks that have lived here all their lives.

• wildedibles and GLP like this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

Ok I've been trying to find my tree ear's name.... I found this link.... mushroom expert they are good at explaining the American and European differences with fungi this link makes the most sense

https://www.mushroom..._americana.html

I see this mushroom on Balsam wood after or while a certain crust fungi is growing on it ...

.....tremella a yellow witches butter grows on the fallen Spruce logs or Balsam logs and there is also a crust fungi growing on the logs too...this from Wikipedia

"Tremella is a genus of fungi in the family Tremellaceae. All Tremella species are parasites of other fungi and most produce anamorphic yeast states. "

.... I'm thinking and remembering something mentioned to me in wild mush. Fourm......that this mushroom grows on or eats this crust fungi.....???? Can't remember where. If anyone has info to share please do....
  • GLP likes this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

My wife and I just went to a extension service class at the library today to learn more about identifying local wild berries, and plants. 

I am better at identifying plants where I grew in the Northern Oregon Coast mountains.  So it was nice to get some pointers from folks that have lived here all their lives.

That sounds sooooo cool

When I moved to northern BC I seen so many new berries I had to get a new guide book especially for the mountains soap berries is one that is just a nothern berry buffalo berry is another name for it they taste like crap but would make a nice soap...it is supposed to lather up I tried it and it works better then the soap plant here I forgot the name??? Anyway getting sleepy....it rained here for a couple days it dried out yesterday and has turned cool I'm expecting to see more mushies Gota look again tomorrow.....got garden work too and herbs to collect before thier time is past time .....fall is comming to quickly...... Gota enjoy the now before it's gone lol
  • Juthro likes this

#7 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

https://mycotopia.ne...-5#entry1417538

I posted the pin cherry trees in my garden thread there's the post and I have videos to post later when I get them up on YouTube

#8 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,539 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

Here is some fall colors more to come
fall leaves c.jpg

I had to take time to share these purple oak leaves
fall leaves a.jpg

They look so cool