Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Harmaline as an agar antibiotic/visualization dye?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

I've been cataloging what I will need to make or buy to turn a chem lab into a microbiology lab. I know one thing used in college was an assortment of antibiotics for agar plates and LC. My fondness for pure harmine has resulted in a jar of pure harmaline•HCl and I know it has been demonstrated to have some function as an antibiotic.

Has anyone tried using harmaline in agar when cleaning up dirty spores/cultures? Is it at all useful in that regard or would it inhibit mycelium too?

I imagine the bright glow under blacklight might make seeing bacterial contams and fine mycelium easier, as a bonus.

#2 clumsy

clumsy

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Not sure about using harmine that way. I have been using antibiotic agar (more expensive, of course) from Fungi Perfecti and have been unimpressed with it. There is no substitute for a quality sterile technique.

My favorite use of harmine/harmaline is as a trip enhancer due to it's temporary MAO inhibitor quality.

Edited by clumsy, 11 August 2019 - 03:16 PM.

#3 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

That's why I like harmine [and THH] so much :wink:

Pure harmine, even in 650 mg doses, doesn't produce that heavy drunken feeling that harmaline/harmine mix does at 200 mg. That's why I separate them.

I'm looking forward to trying harmine and THH with mushrooms. I'm already in love with harmine+THH+DMT and harmine+mescaline.

I just thought I might find an extra use for the harmaline.

• clumsy likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!