• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MKResource

MKResource

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:47 PM

Hey everyone! I've been following the site for months now, but just now decided it's time to join in on the conversation! I'm extremely excited to be apart of such a great community, and I hope to build on the small amount of knowledge I've acquired so far just by reading some of the threads. To kick things off I'd like to ask a question I posted on r/shrooms, but unfortunately didn't receive any responses. Pictured is my very first monotub, as you can see a lot of the caps are cracked. I've researched and learned that this is due to low RH. I have since fixed the problem as best as I can, but now I'm left with a question. When Is the best time to harvest?

Since the caps have cracked many of them aren't growing anymore, they have simply cracked open and don't have any indication of maturity (as I base the maturity of a mushroom off of the cap being open and the veil breaking, right after the veil breaks is when I normally like to harvest; just as a personal preference). The issue is, a lot of the more mature mushrooms are the ones with cracked caps; so should I wait to harvest until a few of the smaller mushies' veils break? Or is there a standard procedure to follow in a situation like mine? Any responses are welcomed and appreciated:)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-0498.JPG

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,335 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

Those cracked cap aren't just from low Rh. That is also and indication of a not enough water to sustain the growth, meaning you sub is dry as well. The little ones won't catch  up either and if they do they don't have much to catch up with (Sorry to be so bold). Pick everything clean and come up a plan to re-hydrate whether dunking or a rapid misting program.

• PJammer24 and MKResource like this

#3 MKResource

MKResource

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the response; I'd rather have someone be straight forward than not. Guess I have some more research and work to do in preparation for this second flush.

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!