• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wallyworld

Wallyworld

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

I am planning to start my first grow. I am doing a bulk verm coir substrate with wbs spawn. I am going on vacation and i will be gone for 15 days. My plan was to mix the spawn jars with the substrate the day I leave. I have found plenty of information on not rushing things but have not found any information on what would happen if you allow your substrate to colonize for too long, if there is such a thing. Does anybody know? I would think 5 extra days winding be a big deal.

#2 Benredbeard

Benredbeard

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

From my experience with gourmets, no sweat. The mycelium may be strongly consolidated, making it hard to bust up, but on the kind of timeline you're taking it shouldn't be a big negative. If it's fast you'll get primordia forming, again not an issue typically.

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,703 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

The best worst case scenario would be you come home to mushrooms bursting the the lid off the tub. Worst worst case scenario would be to come home to the green monster in which if you didn’t leave wouldn’t have made a difference. Personally from experience that whole guideline on the OMC of incubation for 10 days is well just a guideline. When a substrate is not ready the by exposing it to the elements prematurely to over misting, drying and contamination. All of which effect you pin set. Force fruiting can be coincidental in timing sometimes and appear to work for some. Sometimes it works for me as well, but I always get better pin sets and overall yields if I leave them to colonizing until they pin on their own. Speaking only for cubes though. But please don’t leave your unattended tubs with any sort of supplemented heat whether it a heat mat or space heater.

Enjoy your trip and what you have to look forward to when you get home. I hope you give us an update when you return.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!