• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys just finished my my 7 little guys ! Thought I would post a couple of pics up to see the progress and if everything looks good and well!! Didnt know if the box I am sitting the SGFC on was blocking too many holes?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190812_182841.jpg
  • 20190812_182846.jpg

#2 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

Where I live I would never be able to keep the humidity up in that chamber, and would need to block most of those holes anyway. Keep a close watch on humidity! My understanding is cakes want 95% RH or better (condensation collecting on the walls). Cakes look good though! Hoping for a nice full flush for ya!

If you can't keep it wet enough you can just start taping holes and go from there!

#3 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:16 PM

Ahh okay note taken! I got a humidity gauge so I will keep an eye out! As I can only mist 2-3 times a day as working !

#4 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

The old SGFC makes another guest appearance

#5 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

The old SGFC makes another guest appearance

Ahh what do you mean ? What could I have done differently ?? As my humidity is only 87 RH and it's only just gone in there !

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

The SGFC seems to be a staple at shroomery. And highly avoided here. With the shroomery going down there has been a recent spike of SGFC talk. That was all I meant by it.
I’ll let people with experience chime in cause I’ve never used one.

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

What I do know is the cheap humidity readers aren’t super reliable. Mine would stay pegged at 99% inside the chamber.
I did a post about this and many experienced members told me not to trust them.

#8 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

An easy tell for humidity is condensation building on the walls. If there's no condensation it probably a little too dry for cakes to be happy. But I'll hope someone with some more experience than me comes along to help ya! Don't stress about it though, I don't think mushrooms like stress. Happy thoughts my friend! You're on the right track, and in the right place!

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

This isn’t always the only reason. Temp outside of the bin being lower can cause that. Not saying the humidity isn’t right. But gotta keep that in mind also

#10 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

The SGFC seems to be a staple at shroomery. And highly avoided here.

That's interesting to me as newbie here - and to mushroom growing in general. My present and first grow is a grow kit and I haven't decided yet on my Tek for a second grow from scratch.

What is the preferred method here?

#11 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

Usually just a regular tub with perlite in it. You open it and fan a few times a day to introduce fresh air.
The main problem with the shotgun is all those holes are supposed to allow fresh air. From what I have seen people say it’s hard to maintain the high humidity levels with all those holes.
Just passing on what I have read and seen people post. I have not tried this style.
I feel like experienced members with claim it’s overkill or a waste of time.
By simply fanning 2-3 times a day you can purge all the co2.
I repeat I have not tried this method. I have however used regular tubs and tubs with 3 holes on each side. Drilling 40 something tiny holes on each side seems silly to me when you can just do 3 half inch holes on each side and get the same effects.
  • Calba likes this

#12 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 438 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

Side note: when I first started a few months back I wanted to do all these elaborate things I had seen and read about. The experienced members kept telling me “keep it simple”. I am glad that I listened.
  • Calba likes this

#13 joeya

joeya

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

While "keep it simple" is a good philosophy, it often can't be done when working full time. So, the challenge becomes how to balance air flow and humidity. My mainstay is a choke chamber, which is just a sterlite tub with no holes, 2 inches of perlite on the bottom that is kept very wet. I take the cover off to fan it and mist it as often as I can, but it's still not enough for air flow.  I have a smaller experimental fruiting chamber which does okay, but I think I need more air flow there as well. It has holes covered with Tyvek and an airstone under the wet perlite which runs 24/7

#14 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

I like to take a tote and load with perlite as you did.

Then I buy an aquarium air pump and bubble stone and put the bubble stone underneath the perlite.

After that, drill holes slightly above the perlite level usually two large holes on longest sides and one on short sides. 6 holes total and stuff with polyfil.

Finally, fill with water until the bubble stone is decently submerged.

This should provide decent humidity as well as FAE. You still need to mist occasionally to make sure the casing, verm, (however your style is) doesn't dry out.

Evaporation off the sub/casing is what's key to pinning, so your setup should work. Just make sure that verm coat doesn't completely dry out and it'll provide the microclimate necessary for fruiting.

Happy growing and hope you have a fruitful harvest! 754d0a395b75a9f947acdca599cf7379.jpgf22befacd526bc6a6a42423a925c7a4c.jpg

#15 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Awesome man thank you! Slightly off topic, I have a mycobox in a large tub ready to fruit, I want told to dunk and roll it but I thought see as that is what we do with our jars, why wouldn't we do it with this also ? Do you think this is okay?

Edited by Sambomagambo, 13 August 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#16 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Usually just a regular tub with perlite in it. You open it and fan a few times a day to introduce fresh air.

Thanks for the response Misfit. That's really good news for me, as that's exactly what I've ended up doing in my first grow, except that I presumed I was doing it 'wrong' by not having holes, after having read so much about SGFCs online.

So now I can officially relax.

#17 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:24 PM

Didnt know if the box I am sitting the SGFC on was blocking too many holes?

huh? Are you saying you drilled holes on the bottom? I hope that there are no holes below the perlite. Not that it will be a huge issue for the grow so much as just a huge mess. 

• coorsmikey likes this

#18 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Right? Funny is that the original SGFC thingy from back in the day actually calls for inches of damp perlite elevated  inches off the surface that it rests on with, YES holes on the the bottom as well? The mess that makes is minimal to all the shavings from drilling the holes. I wonder what happened to the "Spray Shield acrylic sheet in the aquarium"? Never had many folks asking how to fix those.

Edited by coorsmikey, 13 August 2019 - 09:59 PM.

#19 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

some boiled cardboard in a shoebox sized rubbermaid was my go to. No mess, No fuss. Did have to fan them, but that was just pointing a fan at the dresser and opening the lids a few times a day.

Edited by dead head jed, 13 August 2019 - 10:23 PM.

#20 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

Didnt know if the box I am sitting the SGFC on was blocking too many holes?

huh? Are you saying you drilled holes on the bottom? I hope that there are no holes below the perlite. Not that it will be a huge issue for the grow so much as just a huge mess.

Yeah man holes in the bottom! Haha I believe it is so the fresh air comes through the bottom holes through the damp perlite which bring moisture into the air keeping the humidity !!

It's going okay so far, a bit confused about the misting... I keep the side walls listed with water but not sure how to keep the cakes hydrated, I believe I shouldn't mist them directly so I have just been spraying the air above it and letting it fall onto them ?? Does that sound right Haha!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!