Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Why pasteurize coir rather than sterilize?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Benredbeard

Benredbeard

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

I'm led to understand that manures are pasteurized as opposed to PC'd so as to preserve some of the microflora there, who assist in metabolizing nutrients from the manure. OK, sounds reasonable (though have never seen a citation for this claim or what exactly those organisms are). So wherefore pasteurization of coir/why not just sterilize? There shouldn't be any gut-derived microbes, is it just economy of energy and time we're saving? Is it just mental inertia of "well, we pasteurize manure so I better pasteurize the coir"?

• Shadowlord likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,339 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

How much heat and steam do you think it takes to make a block of coir? Its fairly sterile from processing so the manufactures state with calls and emails. So if it doesn't have the beneficial microbes then damn good question. I will say from experience that pasteurized coir and especially manure will stay contam resistant for longer. I will aslo "Cite" (see what I did there lol) that I have left coir wet and unpasteurized in a Homer bucket for 6 month and opened it up to no mold grow, said what the heck and added grain spawn. Those tubs kicked ass and are on the 3 round with no other molds growing visibly.  We as a whole, tend to make things more complicated than needed. IDK if its because we feel better about diving in and getting all mad scientist or if its the failures that result from newbs not following a tek to the T. I don't recommend newbs take shortcuts before they have a good understanding on what and whys of the shortcuts. But I can say from personal experience that coir from the package work just as well as being pasteurized or sterilized. YMMV. Just my luck though, when I sterilized coir it seem to contaminate easier. I can't make any sense of why that is though, but thought I would share my thoughts and experience. We tend to repeat things that we know from experience that works. All our experiences are just a lil different. 

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 August 2019 - 07:35 PM.

• Shadowlord and clumsy like this

#3 Benredbeard

Benredbeard

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:52 PM

I've had that same experience with reconstituted coir in a mystery bucket... smelled and looked fresh weeks later. Some experiments are perking in my melon now!

#4 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

I started fresh iboga seeds in two wide jars of coir, iboga takes ages to sprout. When one sprouted and looked viable I would transplant it out, the last one to sprout in each jar poked up above the coir and promptly died. I've left the jars to sit for months, the exposed iboga seeds are moldy but the coir still looks fresh.

Mold, apparently, can't eat coir.

• Shadowlord likes this

#5 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,989 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

I also have had the same reaction as CoorsMikey.

It depends on what you're using with coir, unless using only coir.

I use coir with worm castings as I'm a city mouse, so it's easier for me to source.
I always assumed it was leaving the beneficial microflora in my castings.

#6 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 721 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:48 PM

always got the cheapest coir i could find, never got any that was planted with trich.

it will seem to stay mold free even when put in prime environment because it was hydrated coir.

i have always pasteurized my substrates, which typically have horse poo, coir, shredded straw, sometimes worm castings or compost. experience tells me is better to pasteurize these things. 

#7 Benredbeard

Benredbeard

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:16 PM

I use coir with worm castings as I'm a city mouse, so it's easier for me to source.
I always assumed it was leaving the beneficial microflora in my castings.

How much/ratio castings do you use in coir?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!