• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:41 PM

I am currently planning for my next year.
Here is the parameters: it's an outside grow, along creek bottom. Will be in large holes using compost and fertilized w/Neptune's Harvest as needed, maybe bay guano for flowering. Sativa or sativa-dominant hybrid. Extreme heat (100°+), very low humidity (<20%) from mid-June through early September, chance of frost, then 80's until mid-October. Under trees/bushes ceiling height of 7 ft. average. Will be shielded I shadow of hill after 2pm. I am liking the Satori from Mandala, but really want a feminized that can handle the heat stress. WW had worked, but Super Silver Haze and Himalayan Gold feminised had hermophradites. Anybody have personal experience or knowledge on feminised strains that would do well? Need a higher thc level than Northern Lights.
I know, I know, the extreme heat is exactly the stress that tends to most upset the feminised ones, but still, some do better of course.
Suggestions (including ways to combat the low humidity...creek dries up by this time, every year) and seed sources are requested. The strains in my Judy Memorial Grow would be preferred, to do another grow dedicated to her. All but the Blue Dream were doing well (none were at the budding stage, so hadn't been able to evaluate for hermophradites before crop was busted.

#2 DragonFart

DragonFart

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

I started 3 feminized Durban poison seeds back in April and all 3 germinated. I grow them outside in my back yard in 7 gallon pots. Where I live the humidity is pretty low usually 30% or less and temps are above 90, and someone hitting 100 degrees. They have been doing great in full sun all day long. Hope it helps.

#3 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

thanks! I'll look into that strain. No hermies, yet?

#4 DragonFart

DragonFart

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:57 PM

Negative. It's a solid strain. And if you get good genetics it's an excellent outdoor plant

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190813_164740.jpg

Edited by DragonFart, 14 August 2019 - 10:59 PM.

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I am a fan of the green crack and blue dream outdoors due to their yield potential. Both can be tasty when done correctly and both are proven, outdoor, commercial strains. I believe they are relatively mold and mildew resistant considering I have never received a tainted bud from these strains and have never seen one out at the farm but I can not say for sure...

As for the risk of hermaphrodites... I think you run this risk with any feminized seeds but that it is a relatively infrequent occurrence.

The durban, mentioned above, is a 100% sativa landrace strain... I love my sativa dominants but I often prefer a hybrid that is dominant rather than a pure sativa.

#6 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

Since I had Green Crack & Blue Dream in the original grow (was told the MD seed was a bit older, and only 1 of 3 seeds germinated, and it died young), I was considering trying some of them again. Suggestions on good source for quality seed of these strains?

#7 PirateFarmer

PirateFarmer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

I DO like landrace types. Usually tough enough to handle this climate.

#8 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

Look for an equatorial sativa, Something landrace or a hybrid from one of those hot areas where the sun really beats down. Creek beds areas here are humid as F even when dry. miserable hot n humid :biggrin: .

If you are in the USA and interested in something available from a domestic source pm me. I can give ya a couple places to look. might see something you like.

Might have to do a lil research on some place like https://en.seedfinder.eu/ to get the background on what your looking at more completely than as advertised.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!