• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 2toes

2toes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

So I'm new to this mushroom cultivation thing, it's very different to plant cultivation and although it seems quite simple on the surface the more I dig the deeper down the hole i go. I have had some good medicinal results from 'conventional' mushroom supplements and decided to delve into the world of psilocybes. I need some advice concerning a some five week old cakes that have so far had a bit of a hard life!! I have no idea what they are doing. They were rained on in wales, had some green crap cut out of them and now seem to be doing ok but a little fuzzy. Need to get my posts up and i can post some pics. V.nice resource you all have here....

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,693 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

Welcome! Here this might help you, post count does not affect whether or not you can share photos.

https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

#3 2toes

2toes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

IMG_20190814_000736870.jpg Thanks for the heads up about the photo's. I've attached some pics of the current state of play. I'm not sure if the frosty/fluffy growth is myc or if it is mold. This attempt was really only to get an idea of the process but it would be nice to yield some fruits. I bought an 'inject and forget' bag from mushbuddies in the UK, mainly because my house is subsiding and damp in places and I was worried about mould. It seemed like a good idea but the mycelium grew some green spots just after i started to fruit. I opened the bag and removed the green and things looked ok. I went away and took the bag with me, for one reason or another the bag was left open on top op a caravan and soaked up a bit of Welsh rain!! I gave up hope but split the block into four and re-bagged into fresh clean bags. This is the current situation. The mycelium seemed to come back to life but looks a bit frosty, I have the bags sitting on a towel on a heat mat on a stat between 23-26 celcius. The bags are being vented three times a day but look quite moist. I've learned a lot of what not to do from this venture and will be going with liquid culture and a PF Tek in the contaminant free area of my van next time. Just wondering if I should be holding out any hope for these cakes and if I should move them to a different chamber or just practice a bit of patience!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190814_000810747.jpg
  • IMG_20190814_000909452.jpg
  • IMG_20190814_000942356.jpg
  • IMG_20190814_001012455.jpg

• Thacan likes this

#4 2toes

2toes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

Amazingly these badly treated cakes have started to fruit. Transferred from the bags they were in into a fruiting chamber and starting to show some fruits. Some of these smaller pins are opening their veils really small but we'll see what happens in the next few days. B+ spores seem to be very resilient indeed. Will be taking some spores and doing it properly next time.
  • Thacan likes this

#5 2toes

2toes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

IMG_20190826_235118001.jpg IMG_20190826_235110831.jpg
  • Thacan likes this

#6 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

I had a good chuckle from your 'grow log'.  Welsh rain turns out to be a good thing I guess :)  Unless it turns green or spreads unusually fast, that white fluffy stuff is probably mycelium. 

I too have had some good experiences with medicinals and now here as well.

Someone told me to think of mycelium as an ember.  You can pluck a little of it out and (carefully) carry it around for a short time, then feed and water it and it will continue to grow as long as it can overcome competition from molds, bacteria, etc.  Agar plates are essentially the same concept only more carefully controlled and versatile.

Congrats on those pins!  It looks like you will get some good mushrooms.

#7 2toes

2toes

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

Welsh tek!! Will be up there again in the autum to hunt some liberty caps. I like the comparison to an ember, compared to growing plants it seems good results are found in the planning and preparation stages not the constant maintenance and fettling.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!