5 replies to this topic

#1 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

Thought I'd share this flush that came from spawn generated off dried cubes.

A buddy had some cubes he'd got from a coworker and I cultured it to a small amount of grain sterilized in a baby food jar from inner stem tissue. After it colonized the jar, I put it to a couple quart jars via a sterile tweezer g2g. I then spawned the baby food jar to the blue bowl.

I noticed there's been some threads about whether its possible to cultivate with dried fruits. It is! Go for it! Agar will definitely help but it's not necessary so dont be discouraged. 07698b76471c225d893c38f2ca476f0d.jpg802dbfbed7efd17ccea4b93c887a2260.jpg35a35e15659842467e70182e4ca7408d.jpg
  • Foster, coorsmikey, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#2 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,658 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

hell of a nice job

how long did it take for the myc to wake up in the grain jar? and how was growth?

I'm also wondering if you have any idea how old the sample was and if it was completely cracker dry.

Its pretty amazing that you can take cells that had all the moisture sucked out of them and coax them back to life with just a little water and food.

• Foster, coorsmikey and ItBeBasidia like this

#3 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:36 AM

Thanks man!

From what I remember, it was about 6 months old when I cultured it. The mushroom was dry enough to crack when I squeezed it. The inner tissue was cottony like it may have had moisture though.

It took about 2 weeks to show growth and the growth was extremely rhizomorphic from the start. The growth started at the perimeter of the tissue and seemed to overtake the middle of the tissue as if it was consuming it.

#4 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,239 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:57 AM

Very nice! I was able to do this with a yr old stone I soaked in a cup of water because it was so hard i couldnt chew it. I didnt attempt to culture it to fruiting though just found bright white myc growing after it sat til the water evaped and i had forgotten it.

Good job!

• ItBeBasidia likes this

#5 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:53 AM

This is very cool ItBe! Did you do anything to hydrate the dried piece before dropping it into the grain jar?

After almost a two year break (I can’t believe it’s been that long!) I’m finally starting a new grow. I had given away all my prints so I picked up an AA+ but I still have a few dried shrooms left....but damn they are nearly two years old too. I’m still tempted to try getting them growing.
  • Foster and ItBeBasidia like this

#6 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:01 AM

Thanks!

I didn't hydrate it before for this grow but I have in the past. I've done some where I've hydrated by dunking in h202 for a sec (only when inner tissue was compromised) and others where I hydrated in steril water for a few days.

Give it a shot with one of those dried ones you have. It'd be awesome to see it happen with a 2 year old specimen.

Edited by ItBeBasidia, 14 August 2019 - 09:02 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!