Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Does this look like a good spot for a loph?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

So my loph has been sitting on my porch in full shade this summer. Didn't want to risk sunburning the guy knowing they like the shade of larger plants but I feel like he'd like a bit more sun. Not exactly sure what etiolation looks like on a button cactus either. Here's a pic of the spot I had in mind. I'm thinking the spot where the sun shines through the railing that way as the day moves on it gets alternating periods of sun and shade. What do those of you with some experience think? Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190814_151302.jpg

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

a filtered light is ideal. like you see at some horticulture yards they'll put a screen-like cloth above anything they want to have filtered light.

but, your plan certainly looks workable

can you keep it outdoors all year?

if not be careful about putting it too close to a cold window. bad things happen when the cold gets too cold and too close to tender cactus tissue

• Skywatcher and KapnDank like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,953 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hi Kapn

I have mine on a patio with that type of open lattice as the roof. They get unfiltered light in the morning, but by 10AM they are in the off/ on light that the slats provide. The area has very bright indirect when it gets past 1:00. I also mix in some twiggy plants on the table to provide more minimal spotty shade.

They do very well there.

Etoliation on a young loph looks like it is stretching up and not rounding. Be aware that any shift into better light should be gradual and not instant.

The point you made about them liking the shade of a larger pant is true, but look at any desert scrub. It is pretty airy and the shade it provides is more like broken up sun, with patchy sun and shade most of the day. Once they are adjusted they do well with some direct sun, as long as its morning or late afternoon , and not hot mid day intensity.

• Sicshroom and KapnDank like this

#4 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

Full sun will not burn Lophs unless they have not been hardened off, most of mine over 14 mm wide are planted in full unfiltered sun and at most some tinge a little purple.

Hardening them off is critical, though. The location you chose might still be able to burn it if its not tough enough yet.

You can harden them off by filtering the sun with materials such as layers of drop cloths, mosquito netting, I've used stacks of transparent or translucent food cups, and I recently finished hardening off a nice big graft on a 40 cm tall bridgesii stem using waxed paper. Just start off with several layers of shade material that wont move in the wind and remove a layer every week or two.

Since I have like 20 peyotes out in the sun I got a luxmeter with the probe on a stretch cord so I can actually measure how much shade I'm providing, relative to direct sun.

Some materials will filter UV without providing much shade, as well, like I have a bunch of trichocereus seedlings under a sheet of opaque glass that reads as 95% sun intensity.

• KapnDank likes this

#5 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies. Yall are definitely on top of y'alls cacti game over here.
I've tried looking for that cloth they use but to no avail(locally anyways) tried using porch screen but it didn't seem to be blocking anything even though it looked pretty shaded beneath the screen. Turned my torch seedlings red almost immediately. Thing I'll put it to the far right side so the house will blocking sun part of the day and move it over a little bit every few days so it has more time in the sun. And no I will be bringing it indoors during winter. Looking at continuing to grow them(loph and trichs) indoors throughout winter instead of letting them go dormant. Can anyone suggest a type of lighting? Would they be ok in a tent with some cannabis under a hps? It's hard for me to obtain lophs being in the states so I would like to hopefully get a bloom asap so I have some seeds. Then when I'm an old man I can have my first peyote experience lol.

Edited by KapnDank, 14 August 2019 - 11:23 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#6 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 426 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hey I have another question for you lovely people. My loph is a bit lop sided lol any way to fix this? Thinking it's maybe from not turning it so it gets the same amount of light on each side. If that's what happened should I turn the low side or the high side towards to light to even out growth? Here's some pics

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190817_173735.jpg
  • IMG_20190817_173804.jpg

• Sicshroom likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!