24 replies to this topic

#1 jakeoncid419

jakeoncid419

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

So we have tons of threads dedicated to the cult itself yet few if any for the labs themselves.
I did this I. Another group and loved seeing what ppl are working with 3D9E90EE-10E7-4347-8FA1-C14983F3C49F.jpeg ED603E97-B28D-422D-A343-A5A0302EB6DA.jpeg AA5EB7D1-3E1B-4049-99B1-72DC8478B0CB.jpeg
  • Coopdog, PJammer24, SteampunkScientist and 9 others like this

#2 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 921 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

very cool  like the giant Martha enclosure . run a bit of OZONE  in there occasionally

remember to let ozone  dissipate 30 min before you breath in there and no cultures spores ect as  ozone will kill ha

if you over do ozone iit could degrade plastic if you got extreme .

#3 TheObserver

TheObserver

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,282 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:28 PM

Wow that's quite the setup.

#4 jakeoncid419

jakeoncid419

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:48 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah I’ll just spray everything down with alc and then slay some air disinfectant but the carbon filer runs they a hepa and then the air is pulled thru the flow hood again so it stays pretty clean. It helps having the separate grain lab especially for making reishi kits, then the agar/printing lab makes taking clones and doing my cordyceps breeding much easier
  • bezevo, ItBeBasidia, Nicked and 2 others like this

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:34 PM

Baller. Talk about living your best life.
  • ItBeBasidia and jakeoncid419 like this

#6 Asura

Asura

Cyantist

• OG VIP
  • 444 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:02 AM

I envy your space, jake. My lab is a plastic folding table in my breakfast nook with a flowhood on it  :biggrin:

• PJammer24, ItBeBasidia, jakeoncid419 and 2 others like this

#7 jakeoncid419

jakeoncid419

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:31 AM

Just over a year ago when I started back up again all I had was a sab on that table where the silver FH is. Sab in a tool closet haha. When I grew other times in my life all I ever had was a sab or glove box. We all have been there! I have a ton of respect for ppl who run all their own agar In just a SAB. It takes hella organization, and proper technique.

Here is a cold weather tent I designed for WL’sAE153A3F-B68C-47BF-99CB-73591D44ABEB.jpeg

And this is my cordycep lab. This is a older pic it’s further along now I just have to set up my flow hood and air handling system. The first groom will be a lab the second room will be a fruiting room. They are done in vitro so I do not need to augment the rooms rh. I’ll have a closet on one wall for dark incubation and the rest will be on racks with led strips for lighting D1F7ACA5-F416-4ABF-8735-45916ED1B2CE.jpeg
  • Jrotten, clumsy and ItBeBasidia like this

#8 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

I am pretty bummed that there hasn’t been more activity on this thread.

I’d rather have nothing than have a lie.

#9 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:52 AM

Up to now I've just been using a still air box and glove box in my basement chemistry lab. Its allowed me to 'noc up MS grain and PF jars with good success, but my attempt at agar work in a glove box wasn't as pleasant. And I want to do agar.

As such I'm cleaning out a spare room and building a large still air enclosure into a wall recess. It will be 1 meter wide, 50 cm tall, and 50 cm deep with a plastic front.

It is possible for me to line all surfaces with plastic, but it would be awkward and difficult to construct when working alone. My previous views about the level of sterility required have been challenged quite a bit while reading the archives here, people successfully using still air enclosures for agar work for instance, so I am wondering: does a work station need to be lined with plastic?

If I can seal off any cracks that would allow air flow and wipe surfaces down with dilute bleach would it really matter if the walls and ceiling of the enclosure were painted drywall and lacquered wood?

It would be so much easier that way. I have a sheet of glass that will fit in reasonably well for the actual working surface.

#10 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:49 AM

This is the coolest thread so far! Please, show off your labsss! 

would show mine, buuuut... my "lab" is a small closet hiding a midwestgrow kit with 3 jars in it lmao

I can't wait to start making some money so I can build an actual space! 

Right now I'm living on college loans trying to finish school. 
I have a glove box, but it's one of those positive air flow mods (hey, I was trying to save money  :laugh: ).

Regardless of my financial situation, some of the money will definitely be invested in lab supplies. 

I've found that growing educates me in ways that are infinitely more valuable than any University can.

It's an education on real life universal connection and how deep the roots grow..
A universal connection made up of connecting connections that connect other

connecting connections in a massive process I poetically describe as an 

"enormous energetic whateverthefuck 

intermixing and creating another enormous whateverthefuck-else."

Mannnn, seeing rhizos reaching out to synergize is fucking poetry in motion mannn, you feel me? Man... :smoking-hookah:]

All I'm sayin' is the growers lifestyle is an authentically spiritual way of existing.. 

I mean after all, we're taking part in the mysterious creative process processing in procession.. That was some fire ass weed lol 
It was supposed to be a high grade full spectrum CBD joint! But I'm over here like: :meditate:

• Moonless likes this

#11 jakeoncid419

jakeoncid419

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 154 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:56 AM

Elrik, you don’t have to line everything in plastic, I used a greenhouse tent so I could pressurize it and get a clean room but just working in front of a FH will do. Plastic is just easier to clean completely unlike rough surfaces. Rcat, we all start some where just a year and a half ago when I got back into mycology I started back up with a flipped tub on a table with arm holes lol
  • RainbowCatepillar and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 921 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 12:44 PM

i  don't have a Lab ............ha but  when i do clean work  .i  have small room bedroom / store room .

i took all clutter out  and set up a cpl folding Stainless Steel work tables , .  before work i spay all surfaces with bleach ... SS Tables ..walls floors are mostly enamel painted cement  spray them ..

. Then i run my two commercial quality OZONE  generators in closed room for a few hours after that dissipates i run a  hepa filter  . then my  small laminar goes on . i shower and put on clean scrubs right before go in room .ready  to work .

i wish i had a nicer  microscope , i just cant find any decent one for under $300  want to be able to view threw eye pieces and on lap top ,  so i can save images . do i need a fancier  microscope...... ummmmm..... no ,,,,do i want one ......Yes .

i have another area set up in different part of house to work with grain , compost ," Pasteurizers /  ie  Electric Roasters" and a table with Two  commercial hot plates for my two , cpl  AA  PC   .

but no Real lab ha

Edited by bezevo, 21 April 2020 - 03:37 PM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#13 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 685 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:54 PM

Wow Jake, love tent idea! Please tell me that Rolodex is full of your print library! :)

My lab is a game table that gets double washed then 10% bleach before my make shift flow hood gets started. The grains/PC/pasteurization mostly happen in kitchen.

#14 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 921 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:07 PM

The reason i set up an area in basement for work with grain POOP  , compost ect and   bought the Commercial hot plates and Roasters/Paterizers  was to keep my work out of the Kitchen to ..................

Avoid !......DOMESTIC..... CONFLICT ! ....heh !

• Jrotten likes this

#15 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:05 PM

Dooooooooooood. My flow hood is currently semi outdoors and the roof is leaking on it! LMFAO. In fairness we’re actually re-roofing it today. I’m hoping to have that little space to work in on a better basis going forward, but this is either inspiring or enviable. Maybe both. Depends on where I wind up!... HA! It’s awesome to know where the magic is happening. That’s incredible.

#16 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

I was going to say..... that is quite the workspace but why?

Its completely unnecessary.... not that I'm judging just curious.

#17 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

I would love to have room for some more mycology stuff I barely have any room as it is,. Once my kid is in kindergarten and this coronavirus thing is over will both be working parents in the house and will get a bigger place!

#18 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

i also use a tent as a small lab. i love how easy it is to keep clean... the only things i dont like is gow hot it can get inside... specially when pouring agar. 0b502b81186f88b2f13fb00cb401279c.jpg57cad74bd3d410f1b640410e9132f902.jpg
  • Choices and YoshiTrainer like this

#19 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:45 PM

This was messy dirty storage until we got stuck at home. Then I recommissioned my hood after cleaning everything. Then I found out the roof was leaking when I found a puddle in the floor. Spent the day replacing the roof. Will be finishing the Sheetrock. For 15 years this space has just sat and accumulated junk. Not sure why it took so long to realize it makes a perfect “closet.” I think I’ll wall it off with sliding doors. And probably put vinyl panels on the walls rather than texture and paint. It’s a far cry from a positive pressure clean room!

Attached Thumbnails

• 7B9F6D9D-AC95-48F7-8723-0FB244BF988B.jpeg

• SteampunkScientist, Choices and YoshiTrainer like this

#20 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:50 PM

Man.. I’m so jealous of everyone’s flow hoods,. Does anyone have a hood they no longer use I can buy? I hate using still air box,.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!