• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

I’m really excited to see what the third flush will give me,. This came out of only one quart spawn two quarts hpoo,. Still gotta pretty full syringe to work with

#202 FunG

FunG

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:49 AM

Gearing up some popcorn hydrated with coffee water for grain to grain transfers tomorrow.

I have another 3 cultures of golden teacher Ms that took so long to fully colonize the jars I thought the spores were not viable enough to form a culture....shows what I know....

Here's my 20191116_023223.jpg
  • Nicked likes this

#203 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:27 AM

A0-CD56-CF-71-C4-43-DA-80-F1-948-A08-BEB

I believe I am finally closing in on some isolated pan cyan cultures that I can test.

189-F8-C5-B-961-A-47-C6-8-D03-75-F5-BDD6

Now if I can just get this humidity dialed in we will also snag a good starting point for a GT culture via clone tissue transfer. First tub, and I just changed the thermo for the winter. Wish me luck.

#204 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:36 AM

Good luck Cybele. (Also, check my post in Macgyvers topic, might be relevant for you. )

Edited by RutgerHauer, 16 November 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#205 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

Red boy hybrids starting to take off now!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• adrian118, ElrikEriksson, Nicked and 1 other like this

#206 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

A monokaryotic cubensis strain beginning to overtake a smear of ancient and non-germinating PE spores

200_9342.jpg

Can the horny young girl wishing to breed wake up her sleeping boyfriend? Lets wish them luck!

The monokaryon is PE6, my goal is to backcross it with PE to form a (PE X Texas) X PE hybrid line that can, over 6-8 generations, be bred out to a stabilized expression of the best PE characteristics with no blobs and higher spore deposition.

It may take some time :wink:

• adrian118, newmoon and macgyver like this

#207 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Looking good Elrik.

I have just concluded I have been cultivating Trich for a month, thinking it was mushroom myc. This is because I had cloned something else than cubensis so I didn't know what the mycelium looked like. Now I do know very well the growth pattern of Trich so hopefully won't be making this mistake again. Also, only cloning from fresh specimens in the future!
  • ElrikEriksson likes this

#208 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:29 PM

You had Trich growing on agar for a month without it sporulating?

Got pics? :laugh:

• RutgerHauer likes this

#209 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

You had Trich growing on agar for a month without it sporulating?
Got pics? :laugh:

It had been sporulating very late on a previous dish, i thought it was just contamination, had transfered prior to that but the pattern repeated.

Had posted pics on here but nobody said shit. I think its my being sober for a while that made me see it just now - in contrast to being blasted over the past month. Had suspected before but had to see if it repeated i guess. Well, all good fun though.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 17 November 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#210 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Elrik, how'd you get the monokaryon? Streak plate or some other way?

Here's Pleurotus eryngii (king oyster) colonizing. Grocery store mushroom cloned to agar -> wood chips, sawdust, paper, chickpea hulls (waste from making tempeh).

resized000.jpg

Edited by newmoon, 18 November 2019 - 07:08 PM.

• crazy1, buzzkilluton, ElrikEriksson and 1 other like this

#211 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 178 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 AM

Ironically, both times I caught monokaryons it was by accident.

In this case I had a mould contaminated print so I was streaking spores very thinly to MEA plates with very little malt extract so I could catch any mushroom mycelium for transfer before it was taken over by contams. If you use just 1/8th the LME it will inhibit sporulation of moulds but cube myc can still germinate and grow slowly.

The other time I was doing experiments in using mildly nutrified tea agar to germinate cubensis spores. I was working with clean and fresh cube spores and the tea greatly inhibited germination but a few spots did grow, including one monokaryotic colony. I've been entertaining the idea of trying to develop that as a specific procedure for getting monokaryotic strains from older spores that tend to clump together more.

Today in Elriks world, monokaryotic cube mycelium makes first contact with dikaryotic tampanensis.

200_9357.jpg

Just done for fun, really, the chance of an interspecific hybrid forming by mon-di anastomosis is extremely low.

Just imagine a stone producing cubensis, though! :laugh:

• crazy1, happy4nic8r, RutgerHauer and 1 other like this

#212 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:04 AM

@Elrik, that's some interesting experimentation on the two strains and also good info on the agar technique, this helps me with something I'm dealing with.

I am having the same issues with some very dirty prints, you'll have to be quick to isolate/transfer that good mycelium.. It makes sense to use a less nutritious agar mixture. I'm on round two of trying to get something from a wild spore print without much luck.

Should have transferred it yesterday, there were some clean spots on there - but also had some new print going in my SAB so couldn't do it - now all the mold has taken over.

Still have some clean PDA plates (on which I noticed any myc seems to grow much thinner, which indicates it is much less nutritious than my usual MYA recipe) so I'll go for round three today and pay better attention this time.

To get back on the two strain experiment and your pic: Seems to me the cube myc is a bit reluctant to meet the tampanensis..

#213 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:12 AM

Just received four of these 12 quart transparent polypropylene buckets. I'll use them as fruiting chambers. Seems to me to be pretty ideal for medium sized grows!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191119_111202.jpg

• Moonless, buzzkilluton and ElrikEriksson like this

#214 macgyver

macgyver

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 142 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Harvest day!!!

20191119_112505.jpg 20191119_114940.jpg 20191119_114932.jpg 20191119_114937.jpg

20191119_124740.jpg