• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#361 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:52 AM

Supposed to be great white monster but there were both colored and semi albino and in between?

Isn't the great white a version of A+? Like AA+ or something like that? I am trying to find a print for that.

• dial8 likes this

#362 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

Some knots from my PES Hawaiian tub!
I'm so excited!a02a6334c778e7de65f6e9399d610487.jpg
  • dial8, Moonless and ElrikEriksson like this

#363 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:32 AM

Experimental casing was just applied to 12 day consolidated Lipa Yai tub.

Its fermented chinese arbor vitae duff. It smells wonderful.

200_9650.jpg

I hope it works, I made 40 litres of the stuff :laugh:

• Moonless and psilyguy808 like this

#364 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:55 AM

&&0){for(var>)throw>

I am not going to pretend I know what "fermented chinese arbor vitae duff" is. So now I got to know what it is!!

• RutgerHauer likes this

#365 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:28 AM

&&0){for(var>)throw>

I am not going to pretend I know what "fermented chinese arbor vitae duff" is. So now I got to know what it is!!

:biggrin: I'm guessing it is a plant.

#366 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:31 PM

:laugh: chinese arbor vitae [Platycladus orientalis] is a medium sized teardrop shaped evergreen tree and the duff is the naturally fallen brown foliage bits and grape-sized 'pine cones'.

The fresh dried leaves and seeds have some medicinal properties, and the fresh leaves have a nice pine scent. I tried making hair conditioner from them but it was too filled with antioxidants to work well.

To ferment [or compost] the duff I made my trusty organic liquid fertilizer by stuffing any theoretically edible plant nearby into a bucket, filling with water, and fermenting for 2-3 weeks, to that liquid I added low-salt urine harvested from an organic fed vegan :tongue: and I saturated the duff with the stuff. It turned hot and got filled with firefang and its just been mellowing for months. Composting freely neutralizes the acidity of conifer duff and eats up most of the food that would feed contams.

To pasteurize I stuffed it into a jar, filled that with warm water, pasteurized in a water bath, and then poured off the 'compost tea' and let it cool before casing. To remove much of the remaining fertilizer.

It smells like a rich pine forest floor after a warm rain.

• Jinroh likes this

#367 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

:laugh: chinese arbor vitae [Platycladus orientalis] is a medium sized teardrop shaped evergreen tree and the duff is the naturally fallen brown foliage bits and grape-sized 'pine cones'.

The fresh dried leaves and seeds have some medicinal properties, and the fresh leaves have a nice pine scent. I tried making hair conditioner from them but it was too filled with antioxidants to work well.

To ferment [or compost] the duff I made my trusty organic liquid fertilizer by stuffing any theoretically edible plant nearby into a bucket, filling with water, and fermenting for 2-3 weeks, to that liquid I added low-salt urine harvested from an organic fed vegan :tongue: and I saturated the duff with the stuff. It turned hot and got filled with firefang and its just been mellowing for months. Composting freely neutralizes the acidity of conifer duff and eats up most of the food that would feed contams.

To pasteurize I stuffed it into a jar, filled that with warm water, pasteurized in a water bath, and then poured off the 'compost tea' and let it cool before casing. To remove much of the remaining fertilizer.

It smells like a rich pine forest floor after a warm rain.

Wow... that is a lot of work for a casing! I was going to ask about the PH issue caused by the pine cones but you answered my question in the same paragraph.
So what is your goal by using this casing? Increased potency or is it purely a health benefit?

#368 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

Ah, I have some space when doing SAB work, a new one!

PSX_20200114_202641.jpg

Last time I had 12 pint jars and some agar dishes in my 70 liter SAB and the lack of space killed me. Also had been bothered by the position on the holes I had in that one, too narrow and uncomfortable when standing there for an hour transferring dishes.

Of course I had to go in with a knife to trim the rough edges on the arm holes a bit, and messed up one side. Well, it works and I haven't been bothered by the same mistake on my other one.

#369 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:03 PM

Jinroh, there is a bit of a controversy concerning the legitimacy of GWM but from the fruits ive gotten it doesn’t appear to be even close to AA+ characteristics wise

#370 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Wow... that is a lot of work for a casing! I was going to ask about the PH issue caused by the pine cones but you answered my question in the same paragraph.

So what is your goal by using this casing? Increased potency or is it purely a health benefit?

I have a very large garden, so making 40 litres of experimental compost is just a routine activity.

My hypothesis with this is that the airy non-compacting nature of this casing will promote good pin formation while its solidity and large particle size will make harvesting and cleaning the fruits easy.

A bonus is I compost used substrates into potting soil for starting things like tomatoes and peppers, and old conifer duff gives nice texture to potting soil.

• Moonless and Jinroh like this

#371 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

That makes sense.

#372 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

2nd flush....worse then the 1st....I think having my tub to close to the radiator is causing the aborts and otherwise terrible flushes...

20200114_162418.jpg
  • psilyguy808 likes this

#373 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:19 PM

2nd flush....worse then the 1st....I think having my tub to close to the radiator is causing the aborts and otherwise terrible flushes...
 20200114_162418.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

How hot is it getting in the tub?

#374 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

I dont have a thermometer to check but when I put my hand inside its noticeably warmer then the outside air, I'm guessing between 80-85f and that's without the radiator going full tilt.....when that happens I'm going to say the internal temp could be hitting the 90's another thing is I think I superceded 6cm substrate depth so the center may have gone bacterial.....if the surface temp is as hot as it is then defiantly the center is totally cooked.

Damn radiator didnt even work last winter, this winter it wont stop pumping out heat.

#375 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:20 AM

After 50 days in consolidation mode this jar decides to put invitro pins on the bottom? :laugh:

200_9658.jpg

Just 2 weeks more until it gets spawned, and once colonized it gets cased along side the already consolidated tub that's the same age.

Why is it, patience was easier for me when growing cacti? :wink:

[This will be the last to fruit in some running experiments evaluating the effect on potency of prolonged spawn versus tub consolidation periods using MS grain, the results will help me decide which way to do a comparison of 1,2,3, and 4 month consolidation using a clonal isolate. Goal: PE potency from any cube!]

• fahtster, RutgerHauer and FunG like this

#376 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:43 AM

Friend sent me these and said I can post it.. they’re PE, rye to CV.. 1/2 quart:3/4 quart CV in each glad container. 1/2 inch pasteurized jiffy mix at 100% and then she patched the casing as it ate it up having to mist about every other day until pins and then bottom watered mid fruiting. Very minimal blobbing on the sides.

B333F885-8341-49D4-97E5-CAEF16F478FF.jpeg

She was pretty excited lol.. I can see why

Faht

Edited by fahtster, 15 January 2020 - 03:05 AM.

• Skywatcher, RutgerHauer, ElrikEriksson and 2 others like this

#377 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:54 AM

2nd flush....worse then the 1st....I think having my tub to close to the radiator is causing the aborts and otherwise terrible flushes...&&0){for(var>)throw>

I feel for you man, sucks to get all this effort into it and have disappointing rssults. Hope for you it is conditions so you can change it.

Could be just bad luck with the genetics - I have noticed with my own grows you really can't pin down what the results will be with MS. I have had some B+ going that really was a disappointment regarding pin set, and practically stalled for the second flush, while another variety pumped out a good second flush. Another grow of B+ has a reasonable pin set - but they all were tiny fleshy mushrooms, so I guess I just have bad genetics for B+. Not entirely sure because the conditions might not be very good still since I'm just starting up.

I have the idea here in Europe there are a lot of bunk spores being sold, I sometimes get envious watching all you guys in the US with these amazing grows and yields.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 15 January 2020 - 03:56 AM.

#378 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:07 AM

Thanks rutgerhaur, I do believe it's very poor fruiting genetics since some mushrooms reached maturity where as the rest aborted....if it was environmental then I doubt any would have matured... first flush had a ton of aborts as well. I think I could have utilized 12L of popcorn spawn a bit more effectively by only using a 1:1 ratio, I had great results going up until this bin....to many sub strains is probably what the problem is.

I just spawned another tub at a 1:1 ratio and have enough colonized popcorn to do another tub at 1:1 so I'll make a recovery for the time invested. Popcorn itself is kind of finicky, sometimes it just produces poorly but again it's probably due to Ms.

Ah well, I just g2g 10L worth of wbs now that I got my pressure cooker figured out, wish me luck there...
Wbs is my spawn of choice above popcorn.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#379 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:49 AM

Glad to hear you figured out your PC. Have you fixed the pressure or are you doing longer cycles?

#380 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:12 AM

Well, it's pretty embarrassing how I "fixed" it....but to spare my intelligence complete humility I had never worked using this kind of regulator. It's not a rocker, or a spinner, it raises up when it comes to over pressure and then vents and drops back down.....other then that the manual says it's just suppose to hiss.....

But yea, what I was doing wrong. I was only putting the weight regulator on half way so it never fully sat on the valve and all the pressure was escaping..
I got frustrated the one day and forced it down on the valve, that extra force locked it onto the valve where its suppose to be to regulate.....I thought I did something wrong when it raised and vented but nope..

Going back a entire year the first time I used it, I used it properly cause my wbs worked out, I just got scared because of the way it vents and doesnt jiggle or rock....I was thinking I forced it down to far and clogged the outlet lol

Ah well....like I said, this is the first time with this kind of regulator...its just like a mirro but the mirro's rock
That's what I was use to...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!