• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

I received my fresh Bridgesii seeds recently. I believe the time is now to begin germination. I have looked through this botanicals section, and have found TONS of useful information. I’m considering germinating my seeds in a mixture of 3 parts crushed pumice with 1 part LEECHED, finely ground horse manure.

The only reason I’m thinking of this is because that is what I have on hand, horse manure is very rich in nutrients and is very organic. Has anyone used horse manure as a substrate for germinating Bridgesii variants? Are there any downsides to this that I am of considering? Thank you.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,952 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

It is my experience that cacti seedlings burn really easily. I have used a sand and fine silt for germination with good success. I think the horse manure is too rich for seedlings. I would use the crushed pumice with washed sand or plain dirt and sterilize it.

After they are stable and starting to harden off, you can replant into bigger pots to hold them a year. Before I tried small amounts of the leached horse manuer, I think I would try it on a limited few to make sure they can handle it, before I did the same to all of them.

Good luck with the seeds!

• ScreamingEagle likes this

#3 ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:20 PM

That’s exactly why I asked. I was thinking it may be too rich as well. I will start them on pumice and horticulture sand. Thank you
  • Skywatcher likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!