22 replies to this topic

#1 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Set, and Setting times infinity.

The amount of times an amateur pschonaut has heard it differs.

The amount of times an invested Mycophile has said it to those ignorant of self exploration differs.

The amount of times a clinical psychotherapist has said it to a patient differs.

Yet it has always been, and always will be the precedent, and leading rule for exploring anything that alters our human consciousness.

So many here, and in other places in the OMC share their reports of what happened during the experience. Yet I find it more difficult to find the modern preparations those individuals followed before, during, and after their journey.

After a handful of differing experiences I have built an intense reverence to the natural sacraments that human beings have evolved alongside of. My own ignorance has lead to tip-toeing through a multitude of practices, and variations. None of which have fully felt whole. The more I explore the louder my self-conscious demands that I handle these practices with respect and admiration. It has been one year, and as I consciously look forward to my next personal dive, I encounter a premature fear for the idea that I should have this pinned down. Although I am aware that even with traditions passed down through the generations from mouth to ear still see change or see adaptations. There is no one and only way of partaking in Cactus, or Fungi. Traditions must vary from village to village, from each individual shaman, or tribe. Some say preparation is 90% of success. So possibly if they feel how much energy, and respect into the preparations I put into the experience beforehand they will show me the same respect, and compassion.

Without taking days to cite all of my literature, and research I will go over a short list of what other cultures have done,  and used before these ceremonies. Afterwards I would like others to really open up, and share what all goes into the preparation before their experience, and during.

Collecting the substance in a pure way

Purifying the substance through words, or organic substances *sage

Fasting

Chanting

Dancing

Cleansing

Tobacco

Altar, and artifacts

Imagery

Sounds

Sacrifices

Bones/Fur

Crystals

Flowers/Plants

Etc

Thank you all for your input!

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

I broke most of the rules and learned that way.  Never could stay between the lines.  Never an RTFM guy.  Still, the sacraments teach. 

Just be careful and you'll start way ahead of where I did.  I would take too much constraint as not the optimum set and setting.  Read The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss.  Just have an empty cup and it will be filled. 

• Coopdog and cybele like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

I just go somewhere where no one is likely to bother me (I do now, anyway; this wasn't always the case). I like to burn some sage beforehand but that's not essential.

I'm more of a subtraction guy than an addition guy when it comes to the logistics of a psychedelic experience.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 1 other like this

#4 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:10 PM

I broke most of the rules and learned that way.  Never could stay between the lines.  Never an RTFM guy.  Still, the sacraments teach. 

Just be careful and you'll start way ahead of where I did.  I would take too much constraint as not the optimum set and setting.  Read The Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss.  Just have an empty cup and it will be filled. 

Thank you for your input, and the reading material!

#5 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:12 PM

I just go somewhere where no one is likely to bother me (I do now, anyway; this wasn't always the case). I like to burn some sage beforehand but that's not essential.

I'm more of a subtraction guy than an addition guy when it comes to the logistics of a psychedelic experience.

Thank you for your insight TV! I am sure with you being practiced being alone is not such a problem now, but what advice would you give a novice psychonaut for experimenting alone? 

• TVCasualty likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

All of my initial psychedelic voyages were solo. Then for a few years most were in group settings (i.e. college), then I went back to mostly-solo  and stuck with that ever since.

My first experience of altered consciousness of any sort (even before smoking cannabis) was eating an entire quarter-ounce of indoor-grown cubensis in my room by myself with my parents asleep upstairs. That's what happens when neither you nor the guy you got them from has any clue what you're doing, lol.

And it changed everything, which was just what I needed. It saved my life. Literally.

So eating a quarter of dry mushrooms alone in total darkness (and silence) might not be for everyone but it worked very, very well for me. I was lucky that where I lived at the time was pretty dark and quiet at night, with howling coyotes and occasional Border Patrol helicopters being the most common night time noises.

In my experience a lack of any external stimuli maximizes the chance that you will actually go on a "trip," and I find the presence of a sitter to be anchoring and I can't go nearly as deep with anyone else around, even if they're tripping too.

Follow your intuition.

• coorsmikey, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 3 others like this

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

I just go somewhere where no one is likely to bother me...

I don't think you can do much better than that idea.

• TVCasualty, Juthro and cybele like this

#8 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

All of my initial psychedelic voyages were solo. Then for a few years most were in group settings (i.e. college), then I went back to mostly-solo  and stuck with that ever since.

My first experience of altered consciousness of any sort (even before smoking cannabis) was eating an entire quarter-ounce of indoor-grown cubensis in my room by myself with my parents asleep upstairs. That's what happens when neither you nor the guy you got them from has any clue what you're doing, lol.

And it changed everything, which was just what I needed. It saved my life. Literally.

So eating a quarter of dry mushrooms alone in total darkness (and silence) might not be for everyone but it worked very, very well for me. I was lucky that where I lived at the time was pretty dark and quiet at night, with howling coyotes and occasional Border Patrol helicopters being the most common night time noises.

In my experience a lack of any external stimuli maximizes the chance that you will actually go on a "trip," and I find the presence of a sitter to be anchoring and I can't go nearly as deep with anyone else around, even if they're tripping too.

Follow your intuition.

I am contemplating following a system like the John Hopkins experiments, and wearing a shade, laying on my back and listening to music. However, every time I have had a journey it has been outside during the day. I live near a lot of woods, and I have been lucky enough not to get too lost or walk away. Too be completely honest I have been wanting to do a night time ritual under the moon, but I am very worried about freaking out in the dark. I do have a fear of the dark. Yet a moonlit ceremony seems to keep calling to me. I have always had a sitter, because I am worried about getting behind the wheel of a car or wondering off.

• Coopdog likes this

#9 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

I just go somewhere where no one is likely to bother me...

I don't think you can do much better than that idea.

I would love to have at least one good experience deep in the woods of a state park! Maybe a carefully planned camping trip, next to a fire, and on good flat ground near a stream so I dont wonder off a cliff :ohmy:

• TVCasualty and Juthro like this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

There is quite a difference between an outdoor trip at night (even in near-total darkness) and an indoor trip in total darkness. I recommend doing both a bunch of times. And take a bunch of daytime trips in the forest, too.

But always try to stay more than 1/4 mile away from international Borders, lol.

I learned that one the freaky way when a couple of Border Patrol helicopters dropped by and hung out with us for a few (hovering right over us; they didn't land, fortunately). This was in the sand dunes in California near Yuma, AZ (and I HIGHLY recommend a trip in the middle of some sand dunes, which is otherworldly, but stay away from the US/Mexico Border!).

And start your camp fire before you eat your dose, and have a big stack of firewood already gathered. Starting a fire and gathering wood are a PITA after you're on.

And don't light it at all if the conditions are not optimal for having a fire as you don't want to be the guy who set the forest ablaze. This is a bigger concern in the West/Southwest vs. Eastern forests; in Arizona I wouldn't leave a camp or go to sleep until the small campfire I made was out and the ashes cold/damp. In Tennessee or other places in the Southeast I could leave or go to bed when the flames of the large bonfire I made dropped to less than 4 feet high, lol.

National forests can be just as good as Parks, and forests are often easier to disappear in (since most are larger than most Parks), but for either setting I suggest scouting the area with a topo map (at home) first and finding good looking spots that are off-trail and away from designated campgrounds. It might not be allowed to camp outside of such areas depending on where you are, but that doesn't stop me from doing so (and I practice minimalist camping and always return a campsite to where even an experienced tracker would never know I was there).

• Coopdog, Juthro, cybele and 1 other like this

#11 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

There is quite a difference between an outdoor trip at night (even in near-total darkness) and an indoor trip in total darkness. I recommend doing both a bunch of times. And take a bunch of daytime trips in the forest, too.

But always try to stay more than 1/4 mile away from international Borders, lol.

I learned that one the freaky way when a couple of Border Patrol helicopters dropped by and hung out with us for a few (hovering right over us; they didn't land, fortunately). This was in the sand dunes in California near Yuma, AZ (and I HIGHLY recommend a trip in the middle of some sand dunes, which is otherworldly, but stay away from the US/Mexico Border!).

And start your camp fire before you eat your dose, and have a big stack of firewood already gathered. Starting a fire and gathering wood are a PITA after you're on.

And don't light it at all if the conditions are not optimal for having a fire as you don't want to be the guy who set the forest ablaze. This is a bigger concern in the West/Southwest vs. Eastern forests; in Arizona I wouldn't leave a camp or go to sleep until the small campfire I made was out and the ashes cold/damp. In Tennessee or other places in the Southeast I could leave or go to bed when the flames of the large bonfire I made dropped to less than 4 feet high, lol.

National forests can be just as good as Parks, and forests are often easier to disappear in (since most are larger than most Parks), but for either setting I suggest scouting the area with a topo map (at home) first and finding good looking spots that are off-trail and away from designated campgrounds. It might not be allowed to camp outside of such areas depending on where you are, but that doesn't stop me from doing so (and I practice minimalist camping and always return a campsite to where even an experienced tracker would never know I was there).

Knowledge, and humor, what a fantastic combination lol! I would have freaked out with helicopters hovering near me. I have worked on and modified a lot of the CBP aircraft. On top of spending several years in Afghanistan working on others. So some of my not so fond memories include those beasts. My back porch is absolutely covered in plants, and with the string lights on, it is a sight to behold. As long as I keep them on I think I could handle my fear of the dark. I also think with all of the living plants around I will have some comforting company! Nearly all of my previous journeys were daylight forest trips, and absolutely soul changing. My first trip in the forest, and ever got me in touch with god, and allowed me to connect with a family member that recently passed. As I think from a scientific mind I have always felt that our energy stays right here on earth to continue to give to other life. The mushroom allowed me to tap into that energy and feel its presence. The circle of life so they say. On top of that the connection with the earth and everything around me was ecstatic. All of the colors, the patterns, sounds and shapes confirmed what most of us already know. The forest is alive!

I am not close to any international borders so that is a blessing, but our state and national parks have many caves, and cliffs. So I feel some danger there. I am an avid hunter, and woodsman so I am already tracking the great advice on maps! I have topographic, geological maps, and plat maps for all of the wilderness areas I traffic! All of the ones I visit do allow of trail camping. Designated camping areas are just more cleared out, have grills, and fire pits etc.  I do live in the southeast, and still practice some pretty heavy fire safety. It also helps that I always camp near a water source. Thank you for the reminder of prearranging the fire and gathering wood! I could have made a mistake there because I love gathering it in the night so I can also take in the night wildlife, and its easier for me to spot mushrooms at night with a headlamp! I will definitely make sure to have a pile set up before I dose.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog and Juthro like this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Cybele, I wonder if you read this post of mine?  https://mycotopia.ne.../#entry1303277 

After I, a survivor of growing up in the Los Angeles suburbs, got over most of my fears in the natural world, I also got quite anal about not using lights at night where there were no other lights around to blind me at night.  Here where I live, I get around fine at night by starlight and sound, even when there are no stars to be seen. 

Over forty years ago, when I was into the early Castaneda books, I used to like to dance in the fields in the dark.  One night in pitch dark I was dancing around and heard, right next to me, an elk stomp the ground.  You see, right there is what a fear reaction is for.  Acute fear is our friend and initiates a needed action (I backed slowly away from the danger with the thought, "this is your space, Ms. or Mr. Elk").  Chronic fear; it's not so much our friend.  The fear you get from your environment in real time, being in the here and now, that's good to have.  The other kind you get from your mind, from learned fear and mental projection; this takes us from being present with our current real situation.   Acid (and I believe mushrooms would agree) taught me this.

Edited by Alder Logs, 25 August 2019 - 12:31 PM.

• Coopdog, cybele and RainbowCatepillar like this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:45 PM

If you are familiar with and comfortable wandering in the woods in general then doing so on mushrooms won't present any additional dangers.

It won't result in fewer dangers, either, so watch out for annoyed megafauna when dancing in fields, lol.

Oh, and watch out for venomous snakes laying across trails (tripping or not!); I had a very large copperhead take a stab at me as I jogged by it while I was trippin' in the woods; it missed but I felt it brush my ankle (I was wearing sandals) so it was really close.

• Coopdog, Alder Logs and cybele like this

#14 moonsafari

moonsafari

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

About 6 months ago I had the deepest and easiest experience I can recall, prep consisted of 24 hours away from cell phones or people other than a lifelong freind who I have no egoic rivalry with, 16 hour fast and intent (physically asking the sacrament to reveal what it feels you should see) at 4-5 grams golden teach layed In a hammock on the forest /beach and was pulled into the kalidascope with such a sense of ease that iv never had in group setting or built up environment..

Main points I belive would be 24 hour wilderness meditation settled the mind..
1 safe freind comforts the mind without aggitating the ego..
16 hour fast brings it on like a freight train door knocking..
1 hammock helped me feel weightless and detached from my body..
Intent and questions are key to receiving wisdom from the deeper levels of conciseness..
  • cybele likes this

#15 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:10 PM

Cybele, I wonder if you read this post of mine?  https://mycotopia.ne.../#entry1303277 

After I, a survivor of growing up in the Los Angeles suburbs, got over most of my fears in the natural world, I also got quite anal about not using lights at night where there were no other lights around to blind me at night.  Here where I live, I get around fine at night by starlight and sound, even when there are no stars to be seen. 

Over forty years ago, when I was into the early Castaneda books, I used to like to dance in the fields in the dark.  One night in pitch dark I was dancing around and heard, right next to me, an elk stomp the ground.  You see, right there is what a fear reaction is for.  Acute fear is our friend and initiates a needed action (I backed slowly away from the danger with the thought, "this is your space, Ms. or Mr. Elk").  Chronic fear; it's not so much our friend.  The fear you get from your environment in real time, being in the here and now, that's good to have.  The other kind you get from your mind, from learned fear and mental projection; this takes us from being present with our current real situation.   Acid (and I believe mushrooms would agree) taught me this.

I could not have differentiated and defined fear better in my own words. I am fully aware as some people may not be, but I do not think that changes much. From traveling the world at too young of an age, and to spending time overseas in a war fear has become a close acquaintance of mine in a traditional survival sense. I can interact with it and make it bid my will. Its the imaginations fear that seems to have way more power over me. I have not had any problems with the dark while tripping yet mostly because I have never put myself in that situation. My sacraments will be here long before I ask them to guide me. I am looking towards Winter Solstice because it will be the shortest day of the year but I have also leaned towards finding a full moon night for my first experience without light. Something is just pulling me towards this initiation with a "dark" ceremony.

#16 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:19 PM

If you are familiar with and comfortable wandering in the woods in general then doing so on mushrooms won't present any additional dangers.

It won't result in fewer dangers, either, so watch out for annoyed megafauna when dancing in fields, lol.

Oh, and watch out for venomous snakes laying across trails (tripping or not!); I had a very large copperhead take a stab at me as I jogged by it while I was trippin' in the woods; it missed but I felt it brush my ankle (I was wearing sandals) so it was really close.

Thank you for that reassurance! During one trip my guide got off her rockers, and wanted to order pizza. We were near a state lake, right on the shore. Looking at it retrospectively the business probably wouldn't have even delivered there. Fear struck me that they may see us, and call LEO's etc. So we decided to leave, and I quickly talked her out of the ordering lol. As some people may have fear, especially those completely ignorant to the sacraments. They may ask what is stopping someone under the influence from diving in the waters, and drowning. Yet I didn't. I made subconscious decision to be careful around the water by not getting to close, and I made a conscious decision to sway her from calling company right to us lol. With your reassurance and that info I am gaining confidence that I will be fine in these woods I know and love. We do not have much mega-fauna. Just the white-tailed deer, but we do have four species of venomous snakes, and there hasnt been a year that I have not encountered them. Luckily I am pushing for my next journey to be during fall when they should be well into their brumation. Copperheads are some aggressive buggers!

• Coopdog likes this

#17 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,661 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Some of my deepest and most profoundly important trips happened with spiritual preparations. Fasting the day of, burning sage and smudging myself and praying for the guidance and healing I need for whatever the source feels I need. Even some meditational drumming which to me is a fast and gentle constant beat that I can speed up or slow down and increase and decrease the tempo as my thought process happens. These things have brought on the most beautiful trips for me. 

I have also had profound trips with no preparation whatsoever. My trip experience varies a lot and I have not really nailed down even after all these years what exactly makes it special, nor what makes it darker and moodier. I tend to partake of sacraments when I am in a bad place and in need of a change in my thought process. They have often given me just that, with a long lasting effect if I hit it just right. 

Night time trips are my thing. Fires when tripping not so much. about 10-12 years ago I went camping up in the mountains with a friend. We had a fire going and had done some acid 4-5 hours ago, and it was dark and silent. Very odd thing in the mountains. I felt very exposed by the fire, so I asked my friend to walk around with me in the dark. We climbed a ways up the hill and sat up there and watched the fire for a while. While we were looking, a guy walked up to our fire, looked around but did not see us. We were sitting in the dark. My friend was like WTF is he doing? I grabbed his arm and shushed him, and we watched that guy walk around our little campsite. He did not take or touch anything, but he was there. We were armed, but so was he. The rest of the night I did not want to sit by the fire because I felt like he had been watching us the whole time. We stayed away from the fire for the remainder of the night and packed up and left at first light despite the dregs of the trip still in our systems. Really creepy and unsettling experience, and I have not liked having fires when tripping ever since. I feel like a fish in a fish bowl being the only light in the area, and it messes with your night vision as well, so anyone could be creeping on you at any time. I love a good fire, but not when I am partaking for sure. 

Edited by Coopdog, 26 August 2019 - 12:56 PM.

• Juthro and cybele like this

#18 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,583 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

As far as tripping around weapons, I personally don't like to do it. I have done so before, and it's not like some die hard rule I have, but I try to avoid it if I can.   If I am in an area that I feel I need to armed, that's one thing.  I'm completely good with that, but I don't want to trip somewhere I feel I might need to use deadly force.  And if I'm somewhere I don't need to carry it, why do it, bringing it along only adds liability.

I'm not judging, I respect the rights of others to make their own choices, I just wanted to share my spiel. 

• Coopdog and cybele like this

#19 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

About 6 months ago I had the deepest and easiest experience I can recall, prep consisted of 24 hours away from cell phones or people other than a lifelong freind who I have no egoic rivalry with, 16 hour fast and intent (physically asking the sacrament to reveal what it feels you should see) at 4-5 grams golden teach layed In a hammock on the forest /beach and was pulled into the kalidascope with such a sense of ease that iv never had in group setting or built up environment..

Main points I belive would be 24 hour wilderness meditation settled the mind..
1 safe freind comforts the mind without aggitating the ego..
16 hour fast brings it on like a freight train door knocking..
1 hammock helped me feel weightless and detached from my body..
Intent and questions are key to receiving wisdom from the deeper levels of conciseness..

I usually fast, but have never thought about including in that refraining from technology! Great piece of advice in this modern world! Thank you for that. I also have noticed the intent has had a great deal with what I experience, and if you ask they will listen. I have never spent any time in a hammock except for one weekend with a young love of mine. I might have to add that into my forest journey to keep me off the ground (spiders,snakes etc..). Not to mention, as you say, I am sure it adds another dimension to the the experience as a whole being un-grounded and free-floating!

#20 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

Some of my deepest and most profoundly important trips happened with spiritual preparations. Fasting the day of, burning sage and smudging myself and praying for the guidance and healing I need for whatever the source feels I need. Even some meditational drumming which to me is a fast and gentle constant beat that I can speed up or slow down and increase and decrease the tempo as my thought process happens. These things have brought on the most beautiful trips for me. 

I have also had profound trips with no preparation whatsoever. My trip experience varies a lot and I have not really nailed down even after all these years what exactly makes it special, nor what makes it darker and moodier. I tend to partake of sacraments when I am in a bad place and in need of a change in my thought process. They have often given me just that, with a long lasting effect if I hit it just right. 

Night time trips are my thing. Fires when tripping not so much. about 10-12 years ago I went camping up in the mountains with a friend. We had a fire going and had done some acid 4-5 hours ago, and it was dark and silent. Very odd thing in the mountains. I felt very exposed by the fire, so I asked my friend to walk around with me in the dark. We climbed a ways up the hill and sat up there and watched the fire for a while. While we were looking, a guy walked up to our fire, looked around but did not see us. We were sitting in the dark. My friend was like WTF is he doing? I grabbed his arm and shushed him, and we watched that guy walk around our little campsite. He did not take or touch anything, but he was there. We were armed, but so was he. The rest of the night I did not want to sit by the fire because I felt like he had been watching us the whole time. We stayed away from the fire for the remainder of the night and packed up and left at first light despite the dregs of the trip still in our systems. Really creepy and unsettling experience, and I have not liked having fires when tripping ever since. I feel like a fish in a fish bowl being the only light in the area, and it messes with your night vision as well, so anyone could be creeping on you at any time. I love a good fire, but not when I am partaking for sure. 

Now that I can understand. With my military background I have tried explaining the bubble effect to my significant other. How most civilians live inside a safe bubble, and aware of those that may be peering in because the paranoia is a lost feeling to most safe citizens. IE smoking cannabis driving down the road, not knowing a truck or van can see right in your vehicle. I have also tried explaining to them the significance of our senses on the high ground IE, how for away one can see a fire in a desolate place. He may have just been another explorer like yourselves looking for company, and someone to pass the time with. Or he could have meant you harm. No way to know, but avoiding the situation was the wise option. I have never approached anyone else in the woods because that is where I go for solitude.

• Coopdog likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!