• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:25 AM

So I'm somewhat new to this forum and have been scouring this amazing place for a page dedicated to foraging active wood lovers such as Psilocybe cyanescens and azurescens. In the past few years I've realised that there are some introduced populations of Psilocybe cyanescens and have been searching for them for a while. Last year we found the first signs but were too late in the year and the few dried out mushrooms weren't sufficient for 100% positive ID. Using this knowledge we started our searching earlier and sure enough found our first spot of naturalised Psilocybe cyanescens  :victorious: Prints were taken and we knew we had finally found them. Top say the least, the excitement was high and we wanted to see if we could get these fantastic little mushrooms growing in some more of the exotic plantations (i.e. Pine..) around the city. So we made a slurry of dH2O, molasses and a tiny bit of salt mixed with a fair few spore prints, stirred up and put into two spray bottles. Leaving it to settle for ~24hours and then headed out to dutifully increase the naturally occurring Psilocybe population(s) in the area. Walking into my first spot I stopped for a pee and looking down, lo and behold, there was a small patch of very familiar looking mushrooms. No way! I thought to myself and couldn't finish fast enough. There they were  :biggrin: Walking through the small forest patch was fantastic. They were everywhere and this spot was ideal. Needless to say I saved my slurry and sprayed that in some other places where I didn't find any when stopping to pee  :laugh: Winter has now come and gone and I managed to find one last tiny patch in another forest and have a small excess of dried cyans in my freezer.

My appreciation for these wonderful mushrooms has grown dramatically and I wanted to start this page to share stories, tips and photographs of any naturally occurring wood loving active mushrooms. Below are a few photos taken with my phone over the winter and I'll add a few more with time. 

IMG_20190621_134354 - Copy.jpg  

IMG_20190625_150309 - Copy.jpg One of the prettiest mushroom scenes I've ever come across

IMG_20190817_121843 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20190817_122000 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20190818_170159 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20190625_112242 - Copy.jpg

Mush love  :thumbs_up2:  

• Skywatcher and Furthur1 like this

#2 Seeker2be

Seeker2be

Seeking Lost Horizons

• OG VIP
  • 1,351 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...lover-grow-log/  especially the first 3 pages will help you out but the whole blog is worth reading. The shroomery's woodlovers grow (I read it all) is not as informative and one has to cull through volumes to find the rare pearls. 

I find it interesting that the Frank Herbert' (Dune fame) tek related to Stamets  in Mycelium Running gets so much play and not very well verified, a crap shoot compared to Liquid culture inoculation, more plausible to propagation.   Consider growing on Soft agar in quart jars then when colonized  filling with water shaking like hell than pouring in your desired areas.  Mycelia are more likely to leap than spores though habitat is the key.

Edited by Seeker2be, 24 August 2019 - 11:00 AM.

• Nicked likes this

#3 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'm so jealous those are in nature in your area. That's awesome ty for pics.
  • Nicked likes this

#4 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

Awesom

https://mycotopia.ne...lover-grow-log/  especially the first 3 pages will help you out but the whole blog is worth reading. The shroomery's woodlovers grow (I read it all) is not as informative and one has to cull through volumes to find the rare pearls. 

I find it interesting that the Frank Herbert' (Dune fame) tek related to Stamets  in Mycelium Running gets so much play and not very well verified, a crap shoot compared to Liquid culture inoculation, more plausible to propagation.   Consider growing on Soft agar in quart jars then when colonized  filling with water shaking like hell than pouring in your desired areas.  Mycelia are more likely to leap than spores though habitat is the key.

Awesome! Thanks for the link. This place is a serious treasure trove of information. LC is definitely on the to do list with time, experience and a dedicated mushroom area and not just my desk in my bedroom. Hopefully my work will let me use the laminar flow cabinet on the weekends in the lab I manage and then I'll have the confidence to get onto agar and the like.  

#5 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

I'm so jealous those are in nature in your area. That's awesome ty for pics.

I've been jealous of everyone that has the luxury of foraging wild actives for years! I know the feeling and it's hard not containing my excitement! Glad you enjoyed the pics. Season's over so might be a while until I can add more unfortunately. Hopefully some peeps from the northern hemisphere post some pics when they start popping up there though..

#6 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

Don't contain it send pics when u get them man! I'm excited for you exotic actives of all kinds intrigue me bigtime I love reading and seeing what all you guys do its great!
  • Nicked likes this

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Twilight Walker

• 6,820 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:32 PM

I really like this photo Nicked !

Thought you deserved some kudos for this.

https://mycotopia.ne...t/#entry1422169

gallery_126525_1488_150631.jpg

Edited by Skywatcher, 08 September 2019 - 09:33 PM.

• Boebs and Nicked like this

#8 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

I really like this photo Nicked !

Thought you deserved some kudos for this.

https://mycotopia.ne...t/#entry1422169

Thanks so much Skywalker!! Possibly my most memorable find. I remember lifting some fern leaves and seeing this and I had the biggest smile  :biggrin: very happy I could capture it and share with those that appreciate it 

• Skywatcher likes this

#9 Nicked

Nicked

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:42 AM

Don't contain it send pics when u get them man! I'm excited for you exotic actives of all kinds intrigue me bigtime I love reading and seeing what all you guys do its great!

I'll go through the archives and see what else I have but it looks like I'll have to wait for next season 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!