38 replies to this topic

#1 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

Not sure whether what I've been experiencing lately is special, or if this kind of thing happens to everyone when they begin reaching middle age.

But I've noticed more and more lately that the past is present.  Whether it's movies, music, or culture... what's being sold today is a re-hash of what's been done before.  I can't go to a shopping center without hearing 80s music being played loudly even in the parking lot.  Movie intros use graphic styles that are borrowed from decades past.  Netflix's Stranger Things is another phenomenon. 

Then there's another, deeper kind of reminiscence that comes to the fore more subtly but more profoundly than anything intentional.

I just woke up from a dream where I bought a handful of CDs (remember those?) from a music store.  It felt like the most natural thing in the world.  I didn't question that I was back in Texas, I didn't question that the year was nineteen-ninety-something, I didn't question that I was driving in the rain.  I had a dream chat with the dream salesman and got into my dream car and hit the dream road, and the first song to come on my dream radio was this one:

[Direct Link]

And that was one I only ever heard my parents listening to, especially my dad.  This band wasn't something I remember ever hearing on the radio, no friends ever listened to them, there was no fanclub that I was aware of.  Only my parents.  It was a compilation record of greatest hits that I often heard on the stereo when my mom was cleaning house or on a tape when I was in the truck with my dad going somewhere, just he and I.  I remember feeling how bad my dad wanted a son and how close I was to him those rare and precious days when we bonded, taking me on road trips to go fishing or to the range or to look through his telescope.

I listen to the lyrics, and although they are about romance, in some places they seemed like a personal message coming from wherever my dad is now.  When it says "you're there on the dance floor" I can feel his confusion at not understanding why I loved to dance so much and his dismissal when I wanted to take lessons.  I have lived with much anger towards him for not being there for me the times and ways I needed.  I am learning to forgive him and understand that he was only a person, full of flaws just like me. 

This was the next song in my dream:

[Direct Link]

I began to become self-aware and conscious that I was dreaming, and that there was somehow a message meant for me.  For a few brief moments it seemed like my dad was all around me and wanted me to know something.  The feelings of nostalgia were so strong I started crying in my dreams hard enough that it forced me awake to wipe away my real tears.  It's 5:07 AM as I am about to hit the button to post this message.  I am crying, but I know I need to.

Once again I'm wondering if I'm not being a weirdo to bring this up to strangers but sometimes I need to talk to someone about some things sometimes.  I live such a lonely life... sometimes I just have to.

Mycotopia, you're always there for me.

Another song on that compilation album:

[Direct Link]

Edited by darci, 28 August 2019 - 08:01 AM.

• Coopdog, OldBear, Oneyedraven and 1 other like this

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Once again I'm wondering if I'm not being a weirdo to bring this up to strangers

Then just stick to bringing it up around here and to hell with the strangers.

Pseudonymous online forums have always fascinated me in this respect; I don't know (most) Mycotopiates' real names, nor where most live, and I wouldn't recognize any of you on the street. Well, except one (shh...).

But it's not where someone lives, what they look like, or what their name is that makes them an acquaintance, a friend, or part of the family.

In fact, one of the oldest friends I have (and one of the few from that time I'm still in touch with) was someone I met on a discussion forum when I was in High School and got to know in person when the forum had a meet-up at a pizza place (he went to a school in a different District so I would never have met him otherwise). The initial moments of that gathering were kind of awkward since it was a room full of "strangers" that all knew each other fairly well but just not who was whom yet, lol.

Once all the real names got sorted out with the pseudonyms the awkwardness vanished since although we'd only just met in some sense, we'd already gotten to know each other for over a year at that point. It was surprising to see who was older than I thought and who was younger, and when one "he" turned out to be a "she" and the "she" most of us thought was really a "he" turned out to actually be a "she" after all, lol. And while those details were interesting, they didn't really matter since we'd all become acquainted through our expressed thoughts, with no connection to physical appearances.

It was surreal, frankly. In a good way. As in, this might show a way to transcend things like racism and sexism in certain contexts; imagine a debate among candidates for elected office where we only read/hear their expressed thoughts and ideas and not what they look like, whether they're male or female, or what their skin color happens to be... (dare to dream).

Anyway, thanks to that meet-up I eventually got to know some of my new friend's friends, and it was one of those guys who got me my first bag of mushrooms, which was the dose that saved my life and started the whole crazy journey that I'm still on. So if it wasn't for pseudonymous "strangers" I met online and talked about mushrooms with many years ago then I wouldn't be here now, talking about mushrooms to pseudonymous non-strangers (perhaps even friends) I met online.

That's all just a typically long-winded way of saying that we've all got a bigger tribe, and more friends, than we think. They're all in our head anyway, right?

• roc, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 4 others like this

#3 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

To think that there was a time when some people didn't know another, yet maintained deep relationships via letter, some carried on sailing ships.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog and Nicked like this

#4 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

And wouldn't you know, once my senses return, and much like the regret a drunk feels after posting on facebook on a late Saturday night, the embarrassment and panic I feel after spilling the beans again like a quivering idiot I wanted to come back and delete this post, yet TV and Alder show up once again.

I hate you guys.

Not really.

• TVCasualty, Coopdog, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

You can pick your friends, but not your family.

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:44 PM

If I went back and deleted all my self-described embarrassing displays of normalcy then my post count would be in the low-hundreds, lol.

I just think of them as a chronicle of my cognitive evolution (well, ideally).

I think you write posts that (if we can get to 'em before they vanish!) are very relevant to humans in general, not just yourself, because there are ultimately very few topics that actually matter.

One (IMHO) is the nature of our personal and collective relationship with the planet we live on (i.e., life). Another is our relationships with other humans (i.e., each other). At the moment I can't think of any other subjects that truly matter, but there might be some (mushrooms fall under the heading of "life," so I got 'em covered here).

• Coopdog and Nicked like this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

To think that there was a time when some people didn't know another, yet maintained deep relationships via letter, some carried on sailing ships.

In the immortal words of the classic meme, Ain't nobody got time for that!

Well, except Greta Thunberg.

Hmm.

• Coopdog and Nicked like this

#8 TTT

TTT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

Haha. Nothing new to be had. It's all been done before ( quite a bit). Stranger things? Really? Man I don't see the fascination.

Dreams are a strange thing. I use quite a bit of cannabis oil to sleep and I am pretty sure it disrupts my dream cycle, or I just can't remember them.

I have taken breaks and when I do they are Super Vivid. Your dream when you say you felt kind of surrounded by your Dad... and woke crying. I totally believe the dream state might allow a person to connect to other souls.

Although I have a loving family wife and kids...

Today I do feel lonely as I heard of the passing of Neal Casal. RIP. As I sit here with the headphones listening to this fabulous guitar player who apparently committed suicide, I saddens me that anyone would be in such a place.

I love you all. No matter who you are.
  • Coopdog likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Stranger things? Really? Man I don't see the fascination.

You mean the Netflix series? Have you given it a try for a couple of episodes?

I checked it out, and it was way more fun and interesting to watch than I expected. It's like a mashup between the classic buddy-movie Stand By Me and HP Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu. And it was fascinating in several ways, one of which was that you just don't see movies or shows like it being made anymore, probably mostly because the world where such things were possible no longer exists.

That's why the show was set in the time period it was; no one would believe that parents today would let their kids do the kinds of things that used to be standard parts of being a kid, so it would never work as a story set today as the parents of all the kids in the story would be in jail for child neglect or endangerment or whatever.

So a great irony of Stranger Things is that to a kid growing up today, the strangest thing about the show would be how kids who grew up back before those good ol' days ended in the mid 90's (or thereabouts) were basically free-range and actually able to go on real-life adventures in the real world while the very psychedelic, interdimensional, and supernatural CGI horror of the plot wouldn't make today's kids bat an eye.

Edited by TVCasualty, 28 August 2019 - 04:15 PM.

#10 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you shouldn't pick your friend's nose!

That's why the show was set in the time period it was; no one would believe that parents today would let their kids do the kinds of things that used to be standard parts of being a kid, so it would never work as a story set today as the parents of all the kids in the story would be in jail for child neglect or endangerment or whatever.

Oh!  You reminded me of some old movies.  Have you ever seen Poltergeist?  Or ET?  They had a "feel" to them that Stranger Things has.  They have scenes where it's just a bunch of kids goofing off and playing around with each other, getting into adventures and trouble wherever they can find it.  It gives me such a good vibe to see that, not like today's kids whose eyes are always parked on their phones, worried about how many likes they get.

I completely believe it when older people say that times were different "back in the day."  That people were closer, even without all our technological connections.  I believe it.

Edited by darci, 28 August 2019 - 04:53 PM.

• Nicked likes this

#11 TTT

TTT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

[quote name="TVCasualty" post="1420196" timestamp="1567026782"][quote name="TTT" post="1420180" timestamp="1567021245"]
Stranger things? Really? Man I don't see the fascination.
[/quote]

You mean the Netflix series? Have you given it a try for a couple of episodes?

I did. I sat through some episodes in the first season. The wife and teenager like it.

As I have gotten older I seem to have more and more trouble being able to watch current movies or tv. Haha. Guess I am just getting old and cranky. :) I mistakenly took the teenager to see Aquaman. I think that movie might be the worst movie I have seen in a decade. All the superhero movies? No thanks.

I do enjoy real life stuff though. Documentaries, character studies and the like. I am kind looking forward to the Joker movie coming out in October. That looks interesting.

I did love Stand by me. I do also love all the old Woody Allen early movies. Take the money and run is the wife's fave.

#12 TTT

TTT

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you shouldn't pick your friend's nose!

Oh!  You reminded me of some old movies.  Have you ever seen Poltergeist?  Or ET?  They had a "feel" to them that Stranger Things has.  They have scenes where it's just a bunch of kids goofing off and playing around with each other, getting into adventures and trouble wherever they can find it.  It gives me such a good vibe to see that, not like today's kids whose eyes are always parked on their phones, worried about how many likes they get.

I completely believe it when older people say that times were different "back in the day."  That people were closer, even without all our technological connections.  I believe it.

I used to ride skateboards till 9 or 10pm on our street with no worries. We had some good times growing up in the 70's.

But I wonder about that generation previous. Those 60's kids. I was watching a 1969 free concert by the Dead this morning. Footage showed an obviously tripping band and concert goers. Haha. Naked people everywhere, the biggest peace pipe I have seen, and a jungle gym loaded with kids faces painted like the merry pranksters.

It sure LOOKed like people were closer. Happiness and love everywhere.
  • roc, TVCasualty and Nicked like this

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

I think I must’ve been in the last class to graduate as (semi) free-range kids. My friends and I would walk around the vacant lots and scrub brush-filled canyons of the suburbs of SoCal with BB guns in full view of many houses, and no SWAT teams showed up and put us on the ground at gunpoint.

Well, not in the early years anyway, which was between age 11 and 13. By age 14 cops did start showing up (but no SWAT teams yet) when we went out with our BB guns but I don’t know if that’s because we were getting kind of tall so maybe didn’t look like kids or if the growing paranoia had already begun to take hold there.

Free-range childhood seems to have ended gradually, starting from the urban areas and slowly extending outward to the ‘burbs, and then to the rural areas. This probably explains my parent’s choices in new houses as we moved further and further out; my family was the tip of the suburban sprawl-spear, apparently.

And Hell yes (heheheh) I saw Poltergeist, that’s a classic! It’s why we all know not to go into the light… at least not yet. I think Stranger Things was made as an intentional homage to those films (ET included).

I don’t remember exactly when I first saw Poltergeist but I do remember that I was definitely still too young since it scared the crap out of me, lol. It might have begun my fraught relationship with television, lol. But it might also be because it hit real close to home since it was set in Orange County, CA which is where I was growing up at the time. That is a very strange place even without poltergeists.

Incidentally, if you want to know to a startlingly-uncanny degree what childhood was like (well, for me anyway) in poltergeist country then watch the movie Orange County (starring Colin Hanks and Jack Black). I don’t know who the fuck that Mike White guy is who wrote it, but when I saw that movie I literally considered suing him for plagiarizing my life story, or at least the life story of my Senior year of High School. I eventually decided not to sue him, but only because I’d never actually written it down so I was SOL on any copyright claims. And Jack Black’s character was exactly like someone I knew in High School, even down to the impressive assortment of drugs on/around/under/next to his desk that his parents somehow didn't give a shit about.

I think the only reason it didn’t get higher ratings and reviews than it did is that most people rating or reviewing it have never lived in Orange County so don’t believe a place can be as vapidly cheesy and Narcissistically-oblivious as it really is. The only thing that would have made it more realistic would be if some of the spoiled stoner kids had been neo-Nazi poseurs (one of the skinhead-wannabes at my High School was Korean; only in California, lol...).

• Coopdog, Alder Logs and Nicked like this

#14 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

I got some nostalgia bubbling here.

I grew up in another area of ever-expanding Los Angeles burbs, the San Gabriel Valley, arriving at age one in the town of Alhambra, two blocks from the LA city line.  I shared something in common with those boys in Stand By Me; I was eleven years old in 1958.  That two blocks fell a hundred feet short of an honest-to-God naturally flowing creek, with brush and wildlife abounding in a narrow corridor.  That creek is now a large corrugated galvanized steel tube that lies deeply buried in concrete and fill under, and running in parallel with, the Long Beach Freeway.  That creek ran through the center of the grasslands of the Monterrey Hills (that we kids called, "Elephant Hill"), which is now whatever the Monterrey Hills Estates development has morphed into.  The other wild acreage available to us, the free rangers, was just up the hill. It was the grounds of the Castle Apartments, where we would dodge the grounds keeper/manager, and only rarely would one of us get caught and kicked out.  That place was to become the mansion of Phil Spector, where, in the foyer, he shot that woman, an act which would send him to prison. 

The Spector Mansion --Pyrenees Castle

(recently, and not as it was in 1958)

FILE+Phil+Spector+reportedly+suing+City+

We, at least myself, was a wild human, seeking out wild places.  I first saw the PNW in the year before I was eleven, and somehow knew then that I had seen the future.  The town Stephen King created for Stand By Me was Castle Rock, OR.  I don't believe there is one.  There is a Castle Rock, WA, and it's in the next county over.  I was back in Washington and Oregon the next year again, on another fishing trip with my dad and brother, in that eleventh year.  It was far more suited to a wild human than So.Cal.  When I left the navy at 21, it was the first place I went, but I was no longer eleven years old.  Now I have witnessed the Los Angelization of the world as it has substantially overtaken this part of Paradise.  What isn't road, city, or town, is gated off for industry and/or military training ops.  Now I wonder, when will the first eleven year old get his/her cranial implant and see Google, facebook, and Twitter, superimposed over pavement and buildings, as far as the eye can see? 

Edited by Alder Logs, 29 August 2019 - 01:03 PM.

• roc, TVCasualty and Coopdog like this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

I landed on this planet through Whittier Hospital. We fled out to Orange County shortly thereafter.

The spreading sprawl continues to this day. I can hardly imagine what it must've been like back before the Europeans showed up, but from what I've read it was pretty nice.

• roc and Alder Logs like this

#16 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,098 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

Good stuff! :).

It's a good community here. 

I've actually stopped caring too much about what I share. I've written things that terrorized me, you know. I just mean from the anxiety.

I think if there's any love and salvation, it's for that odd gentleman/woman that rambles and fails. That's closer to me and I'm sure it's close to most.

Edited by Guy1298, 29 August 2019 - 09:53 PM.

#17 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,362 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Oh I've seen Stand By Me too!

I think I'm finding myself more addicted to classic movies than most of the stuff that's coming out these days.  There is definitely something more "human" about them.  Connection.  Acceptance.  Trust.  Community.  Not like the way people interact today...

I was born in 85 and though I was technically too young to really experience the 80s the right way there is still some kind of resonance and familiarity I feel with the decade that my age doesn't adequately explain.

I've been listening to a lot of music from back then and am on a "vaporwave" kick, too.  It's refreshing to see art, style, and music that is so vibrant and full of optimism, excitement, and creativity as if the future was so bright, you gotta wear shades.  ;-)

I almost wish I could be reincarnated to live life as a teenager back then because I think I really missed the boat.  Today's society just feels like such a suckfest!

I think I'm gonna start season 3 of stranger things...  although I almost wish there was a series of just childlike shenanigans without all the horror stuff.

• Nicked likes this

#18 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 02:03 AM

Darci your post brought me damn near to tears. I absolutely treasure those dreams, and I call them visiting dreams. As real as life. I had several involving Jerry Garcia, and I have never been much of a Dead fan, although I love a few of their songs. For some reason I have a connection with that guy.  This is one of those threads that makes me wish we had more buttons to push than the weak old "like" button. I would surely have had  half a dozen "Love"s and a couple of wow's.  Treasure those dreams, as I absolutely believe we are connecting on a deeper level in those dreams with another dimension close to this one where we are right there in the moment, real as I am typing this to you. Never feel like you have to delete your humanity, especially here in Mycotopia land. We treasure the humanity here and cultivate it like a fine pot plant. :) 

As for nostalgic movies recently my wife and I revisited Heavy Metal and Up in smoke, and laughed and marvelled like we were 14 again watching them for the first time. Movies, and music can both take us out of this world and put us right back where we used to appreciate them, and I am so glad that it happens that way sometimes. When I was a kid I used to look at my mom crying over silly stuff and was just disgusted (because I was an asshole teenager), and now as I get older I cry at commercials, songs (Especially songs) and many other things that take me back there. Recently I went to a friends house and his cousin played in the Mama's and the Poppas, and even played as a stand in with Bread. Some of the songs he brought up put a big lump in my throat and took me back to a much simpler time. I grew up in the 70's and 80's as the highlights of my life, and I was most certainly a free range kid growing up in a biker club family. I would not change a single bit of it, even the ugly parts. All of it made me who I am and I am happy with that despite my flaws. 

TTT I was really surprised and am by everyone who hated Aquaman that it is so disliked! I loved it and the graphics and the story were all top notch to me. Maybe because I love the leading lady I suppose lol People either love it or hate it, and I found nothing whatsoever to dislike. I thought it was right up there with Avatar, which was also reviled by many. Maybe watching them on acid helps lol

Please feel free to share with all of us, and another big hug for you. Hang in there my friend. 

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

I think it was Will Rogers who originally said, "You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on the saddle."

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

I think I'm gonna start season 3 of stranger things...  although I almost wish there was a series of just childlike shenanigans without all the horror stuff.

Well then here you go:

[Direct Link]

It's got it all; a young ensemble cast engaging in childlike strange shenanigans that's set in the 1980's. Well, it wasn't "set" in the 80's, it was just the 80's.

And for what it's worth, this is also a cautionary tale warning against getting too caught up in nostalgia for the 80's, lol. Some things are best left in the past...

Another surprisingly good Netflix show also set in the 80's is GLOW, which has some of the best lines I've heard in a while. And that inspired lunacy actually happened, more or less. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!