90 replies to this topic

#1 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:24 AM

Hello All!
As promised, it has been a week, and I have an image update (I will repost day 1). Buzzkilington's thread was getting so long that I figured I would start my own rather than posting to his and cluttering his space up.

I am unsure if what I am seeing is good progress for seven days and if what I see is typical for this method of growing since this is all new to me. The images here are the tub that was made by my first healthy colonized grain bag. The other grain bag that we suspected as contaminated is outside in a container that makes it impossible to photograph without removing its cover so I will wait on that one. What I can say is that I see about the same thing as this tub. So does it look like I am on the right track so far? I am trying not to move the tub around too much, but I have to move it a little to get enough light to take pics. Then I put it back in a dark place. I was planning to move it to sunlight once the substrate is fully colonized. Or should I keep it in the sunshine all the time at this stage? I have also been reading about "dunking" to induce fruiting and dunking in between flushes. Some people do not mention it all with their tubs, and others make a point to say it often. I am a little confused about "dunking." It turns out searching for terms like "dunking" and "cakes" etc. brings up way too many threads on this site to read through.

Attached Thumbnails

• G_teach 8_22_19.jpg
  • G-Teach _08_28_19_2.jpg
  • G-Teach _08_28_19_1.jpg

• LegoMyego and deeezy like this

#2 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

I don't dunk my tubs and sometimes can get 4 flushes. If u start with good field capacity and just be diligent with spray bottle it works. I dont have alot of grow posts but that's the 4th flush of an albino mono tub that was stupid strong. No dunk.d55eff21dfa36d2375d8bdc76b28a666.jpg

Edited by makinbones69, 28 August 2019 - 08:34 AM.

• onediadem, Microbe, Misfit and 3 others like this

#3 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

I don't dunk my tubs and sometimes can get 4 flushes. If u start with good field capacity and just be diligent with spray bottle it works. I dont have alot of grow posts but that's the 4th flush of an albino mono tub that was stupid strong. No dunk.d55eff21dfa36d2375d8bdc76b28a666.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

Those are beautiful monsters! I do not think I am going to dunk this tub, it would be tricky, and I do not want to risk messing anything up. I will be happy with any positive results that I get at this point.

Edited by Jinroh, 28 August 2019 - 08:40 AM.

• Microbe likes this

#4 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:27 AM

Very cool man. After your first flush I would dunk it IMO. It helps replenish the water in your sub. I'm sure someone here can help you find a way to do it safely. But your sub should be consolidated enough for you to lift it out and dunk it without breaking it.

#5 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:24 PM

Very cool man. After your first flush I would dunk it IMO. It helps replenish the water in your sub. I'm sure someone here can help you find a way to do it safely. But your sub should be consolidated enough for you to lift it out and dunk it without breaking it.

Thanks for the advice. I think since this is my very first tub I am going to just mother hen over it with a mister. I will worry about dunking after I get a few crops under my belt.

• roc and buzzkilluton like this

#6 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

Those are looking great man!! I'm calling that within 7 days you should have your first pins.  

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion, but I just thought dunking a tub is too risky.  Knowing me I'd drop it or some other dumb thing.  

Between flushes I just HEAVILY soak the tub with a water bottle.  Like 60 sprays.  It worked great for me. 

• roc, buzzkilluton and Jinroh like this

#7 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

I will try to remember that when I get to that point because I was gonna do Bod's harvesting tek and float mine but I can be a bit clumsy when I get excited and I don't think my GF will appreciate a flooded room. Even if I'm the one who would have to clean it lol.
  • LegoMyego and Jinroh like this

#8 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

Those are looking great man!! I'm calling that within 7 days you should have your first pins.  

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion, but I just thought dunking a tub is too risky.  Knowing me I'd drop it or some other dumb thing.  

Between flushes I just HEAVILY soak the tub with a water bottle.  Like 60 sprays.  It worked great for me. 

Thanks for the input. I plan on doing just that with this tub.

• LegoMyego likes this

#9 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

I wonder if it helps to add a little nutrition to the spray water such as a tiny bit of gypsum. Or are all nutrition requirements no longer needed once the cake starts to flush?

#10 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

I've never really heard of adding nutrients to the water bottle.  I don't see how it could hurt! 

Wait, are you doing cakes or bulk grain?  I've never done cakes but I heard you should "dunk and roll" between flushes.  With bulk grain in a tub I just spray with the water bottle.  

• makinbones69 and Jinroh like this

#11 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

I've never really heard of adding nutrients to the water bottle.  I don't see how it could hurt! 

Wait, are you doing cakes or bulk grain?  I've never done cakes but I heard you should "dunk and roll" between flushes.  With bulk grain in a tub I just spray with the water bottle.  

I have some BRF cakes cooking off right now but I plan on crumbling them into a tub just like a grain spawn. I plan to stick with mono tubs and not flushing directly from BRF cakes.

Edited by Jinroh, 29 August 2019 - 11:26 AM.

#12 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

Ah I see.  You should be solid doing the water bottle then. 

• Jinroh likes this

#13 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

I used a cheese grater to turn GT and Stargazer cakes into spawn because of some issues a while back. It worked well just use enough of the jars to make spawn. I used 3 cakes per 6oz shoebox as I was doing small containers at that time. I hope this helps.
  • Jinroh likes this

#14 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

I have a question re using BRF cakes as spawn for bulk tubs.  I've read where ppl will spawn (either BRF cakes ground up or grain or poo) to just coir for bulk but I don't understand how that works since I've also read that coir does not provide nutrients but is merely an inert material like verm and is used just to retain moisture.  I've read a lot of contradictory statements in the various bulk teks.   

• Jinroh likes this

#15 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:23 PM

I used a cheese grater to turn GT and Stargazer cakes into spawn because of some issues a while back. It worked well just use enough of the jars to make spawn. I used 3 cakes per 6oz shoebox as I was doing small containers at that time. I hope this helps.

Yes, that is what I have in mind for the cakes. I have just made some WBS jars yesterday as well. I am trying a little of everything since I am new. I want to see what works best for me.

#16 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:25 PM

I have a question re using BRF cakes as spawn for bulk tubs.  I've read where ppl will spawn (either BRF cakes ground up or grain or poo) to just coir for bulk but I don't understand how that works since I've also read that coir does not provide nutrients but is merely an inert material like verm and is used just to retain moisture.  I've read a lot of contradictory statements in the various bulk teks.   

Well, as a fresh newbie with not even one crop under my belt yet, I think I will let some of the old timers comment for you. I am too new at this to feel comfortable giving advice. What I CAN say is that tub I show up at the top of this thread is Coir and Verm, and the grain spawn seems to be liking it really well. WHY and HOW it works... not sure yet. And a BRF cake shredded up would be just like a colonized grain. I don't think the fungi cares.

Edited by Jinroh, 29 August 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#17 Thacan

Thacan

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion, but I just thought dunking a tub is too risky. Knowing me I'd drop it or some other dumb thing.

Between flushes I just HEAVILY soak the tub with a water bottle. Like 60 sprays. It worked great for me.

I wonder if it helps to add a little nutrition to the spray water such as a tiny bit of gypsum. Or are all nutrition requirements no longer needed once the cake starts to flush?

I am not sure that nutrients to the spray water will do anything useful. My understanding is that the mycelium produces mushrooms when it has run out of space to grow and/or nutrition. But maybe try it anyway for fun to see what happens :). Or just take a pinch of that mycelium and start a new grow in a different container. Enjoy
  • Jinroh likes this

#18 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 7,956 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

Forget putting anything in your spray bottle.

Coir is just a bulk medium and the brf cake or other spawn like wbs is where it feeds off of and gets nutrition.

Higher spawn content is essential with coir.

I use horse shit instead of coir and my spawn is just to get the shit colonized.

• Thacan and Jinroh like this

#19 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

Forget putting anything in your spray bottle.

Coir is just a bulk medium and the brf cake or other spawn like wbs is where it feeds off of and gets nutrition.

Higher spawn content is essential with coir.

I use horse shit instead of coir and my spawn is just to get the shit colonized.

Is there any benefit to using horse shit rather than coir and verm? LegMyEgo was telling me that certain strains like APE seem to like poop better than coir. Or at least that is what I got out of our conversation.

#20 Asura

Asura

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 91 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

This is just me personally. I use the exact same substrate for APE as I do for pan cyans. Lots of hpoo and straw. But it's not necessary at

all. I have seen epic APE grows - and all cubes in general - using nothing but coir and verm. APE does seem to like a casing, though.

I use hpoo because I personally like it, but it is not required at all.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!