• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

A little more progress on that throw away tub. Looks like I will have the first flush from this in another day or so. The other tub is still colonizing as usual.

Quarentined G-Teach2  09_04_19.jpg

#42 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

The weekly update on the bulk tub (first pic) is growing as slow as molasses but no sign of contamination so far.

The quarantined tub has grown a lot in 24 hours but no signs of any caps opening. Since these are my first, I am not sure how tall these usually get before they open, or if there is even a "normal" size.

G-Teach Bulk Tub 09_05_19.jpg Quarentined G-Teach2  09_05_19.jpg

• ElPirana, makinbones69 and buzzkilluton like this

#43 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:23 PM

Nice save dude!
  • Jinroh likes this

#44 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

Nice save dude!

Thanks! I know this is just a tiny little tray but I couldn't bring myself to throw the spawn away. Something is better than nothing right?

I hope my bulk tub turns out growing with as much promise as the little tray.

• buzzkilluton and SporeyMF like this

#45 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

When I first saw that grain bag, I thought it was a goner for sure. I’m glad to be proven wrong! Can’t wait to see the rest of the results.
  • Jinroh likes this

#46 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

I guess these images mean the 1st flush of the rescued tray is well under way. I can see wasting some electricity on the dehydrator until I start getting any real numbers once the bulk tub kicks off. The bulk tub is so slooooow.

#47 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:18 PM

.Quarentined G-Teach2  09_06_19.jpg Quarentined G-Teach2  09_06_19_2.jpg

Edited by Jinroh, 06 September 2019 - 07:23 PM.

• LegoMyego, ElPirana, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#48 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Fans and boxes dry them well also. After that I just store it with a desiccant pack. U may need 2 dehydrators at least if ur bulk is large. I'd consider this and have a plan my dude.

#49 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

Fans and boxes dry them well also. After that I just store it with a desiccant pack. U may need 2 dehydrators at least if ur bulk is large. I'd consider this and have a plan my dude.

I got it covered! I have a commercial dehydrator that can hold 50 pounds of jerky and desiccant packs left over from another project and a food saver vacuum machine! Between all of that I should be able to handle two bulk tubs at once. That is why I mentioned I would be wasting power until the crop gets large. I have a huge dehydrator dehydrating a small amount of shrooms right now. I do not want to wait to get a large amount to dry all at once since the caps open at different times. I want to dry them as soon as I pick them so they do not start to oxidize and lose potency.

#50 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

dehydrator.JPG

Edited by Jinroh, 07 September 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#51 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Well hawt dam we ain't got fancy de hydrates like that. But yea that would def work

#52 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

Well hawt dam we ain't got fancy de hydrates like that. But yea that would def work

Well, I don't mean to seem like I am bragging about it, as mentioned in another thread, I am a hunter so I bought that dehydrator two years ago to make venison jerky. A table top model would take too long to dry that much meat, and I don't have enough freezer space for a whole deer. That was my solution. It worked out perfect for my new hobby. I had no idea I would try Mycology two years ago.

#53 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

I didnt think that them units are sweet tho

#54 LegoMyego

LegoMyego

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:26 PM

Looking great Jinroh.  Maybe someone else can weigh in here too, but do those look a little oxygen deprives to anyone else? i.e., skinny, twisting stems.  If so, I'd recommend increasing fresh air exchange so they grow fat instead of tall.  

#55 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

Not to jump on a previous topic, but you dunk bulk subs in tubs easily if you drill a 1" hole in the corner of the tub on the bottom and find a tapered cork to plug it with when you are ready to dunk them. You have to drill it before you start your sub, and line it with a black trash bag taped to the sides however deep your sub will be. Trim excess bag.. When you are ready to dunk your sub, cut an x in the bag covering the hole and insert the cork and fill the tub.. When you are ready to drain, pull the cork and tilt the tub towards the hole. You will never break or ruin a sub.

• makinbones69 and Jinroh like this

#56 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

Looking great Jinroh.  Maybe someone else can weigh in here too, but do those look a little oxygen deprives to anyone else? i.e., skinny, twisting stems.  If so, I'd recommend increasing fresh air exchange so they grow fat instead of tall.  

I don't know? I been trying to keep as much moisture in the box as possible. I could be starving them of O? I will let more in and see if they get fatter.

#57 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

Not to jump on a previous topic, but you dunk bulk subs in tubs easily if you drill a 1" hole in the corner of the tub on the bottom and find a tapered cork to plug it with when you are ready to dunk them. You have to drill it before you start your sub, and line it with a black trash bag taped to the sides however deep your sub will be. Trim excess bag.. When you are ready to dunk your sub, cut an x in the bag covering the hole and insert the cork and fill the tub.. When you are ready to drain, pull the cork and tilt the tub towards the hole. You will never break or ruin a sub.

I will do that on the next tub I make. I am making another one this week. I plan to make 4 in total so I can start one every month so I can try to always have something ready to fruit.

#58 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

Looking great Jinroh. Maybe someone else can weigh in here too, but do those look a little oxygen deprives to anyone else? i.e., skinny, twisting stems. If so, I'd recommend increasing fresh air exchange so they grow fat instead of tall.

I don't know? I been trying to keep as much moisture in the box as possible. I could be starving them of O? I will let more in and see if they get fatter.
They could be a little suffocated but that was also spawned from contamed grain. Sometimes contams will make the fruits grow funny. Do you open the lid a couple times a day to let fresh air in or to mist?
  • Jinroh likes this

#59 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

Looking great Jinroh. Maybe someone else can weigh in here too, but do those look a little oxygen deprives to anyone else? i.e., skinny, twisting stems. If so, I'd recommend increasing fresh air exchange so they grow fat instead of tall.

They could be a little suffocated but that was also spawned from contamed grain. Sometimes contams will make the fruits grow funny. Do you open the lid a couple times a day to let fresh air in or to mist?

Actually I mist a few times a day and alternate leaving the lid open an inch and then close it again every time I mist which is about 5 times every 24 hours. This tub does not use filter holes so that is how I regulate C02 and O. This was just an improvised quick spur of the moment thing as you know. My bulk tub uses your standard filter holes... which has just started signs of pinning by the way! I will upload an image once it shows real progress.

I have even more going on in the background that I have not posted yet. I have a grain bag of B+ and a grain bag of Alc just now starting to show mycelium growth, and 12 PF jars with three different strains at about 75% and 4 jars of WBS just showing signs. Unfortunately one jar of WBS definitely has Trich. I suspect that is due to a crappy still air box. I have since rebuilt a box much better with sealed glove rings and a rubber sealed lid. That should improve my chances somewhat. My old box was a joke with just open holes for my arms and a lid that barely stayed on. I am actually surprised that I am getting the good results that I have so far to be honest.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 September 2019 - 01:03 PM.

#60 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

Yeah that should be plenty of fae then.
Sounds like you have a lot underway. Can't wait to see your successes.
And about the SAB ...fitting the arm holes with gloves often causes more problems than it fixes. It supposedly causes the box to have a stronger vacuum meaning any small holes in the box will pull in air at a high velocity which stirs contams all around the box. Maybe someone who has worked with both can chime in with their experience. Been a while since I've used a SAB. My neck couldn't take it anymore lol
  • Jinroh likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!