• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

I use a SAB with holes on a counter. I don't even use the lid, just clean the counter with Clorox wipes really good, then Lysol the air really good, the Lysol inside the SAB while I sit it down on the counter. I stay 95% contams free on agar, and closer 100 percent doing my grain transfers and the like.

I just armholes in a 108qt tub, and used packaging tape and electrical tape to cover the holes.
20190908_160028_noexif.jpg

Edit:
20190908_170049.jpg
20190908_170012.jpg
20190908_165943.jpg

Edited by Mush2Learn, 08 September 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• makinbones69 and Jinroh like this

#62 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

I use a SAB with holes on a counter. I don't even use the lid, just clean the counter with Clorox wipes really good, then Lysol the air really good, the Lysol inside the SAB while I sit it down on the counter. I stay 95% contams free on agar, and closer 100 percent doing my grain transfers and the like.

I just armholes in a 108qt tub, and used packaging tape and electrical tape to cover the holes.&&0){for(var>)throw>

Yours is still better than what I was using before. I live out in the woods and am constantly fighting mold and mildew on the inside and the outside of my house due to the rural location and the lack of sunlight due to all the trees. I am not saying that I know for sure that is my source of contamination but I know it is always in the air to a certain extent. It will be a challenge to keep things clean until I can get a flow hood.

#63 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

I should also say I live in a dry high mountain desert climate. Contaminates have shown up, mainly trich, but haven't been a major issue. I think climate is likely a better explanation than skill

#64 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

I should also say I live in a dry high mountain desert climate. Contaminates have shown up, mainly trich, but haven't been a major issue. I think climate is likely a better explanation than skill

I think you touched on the main reason for my contam issue. Skill... I am new at this and am still developing techniques to minimize contam. I am sure if I had more experience I would not be mentioning this. I can't even call this a problem really. I have only had one definite failure so far and I don't even have a single completed tub under my belt.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 September 2019 - 06:46 PM.

#65 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:56 PM

Yeah that should be plenty of fae then.
Sounds like you have a lot underway. Can't wait to see your successes.
And about the SAB ...fitting the arm holes with gloves often causes more problems than it fixes. It supposedly causes the box to have a stronger vacuum meaning any small holes in the box will pull in air at a high velocity which stirs contams all around the box. Maybe someone who has worked with both can chime in with their experience. Been a while since I've used a SAB. My neck couldn't take it anymore lol

Thinking about what you mentioned about adding gloves to my box causing a vacuum and pulling in contams that way, I think I have a solution. I will add a 3 inch diameter .45 micron filter on each side of the box. That should allow for the pressure differential. And since I have rubber gasketed the lid, it should reduce that possibility greatly.

#66 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:34 PM

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Make sure there's a good bit of surface area for the filter. Air doesn't pass through them as readily as one might think so it wouldn't hurt to put a little more than what you think you'll need.
  • Jinroh likes this

#67 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

Edited by Jinroh, 08 September 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#68 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:56 PM

That's actually a pretty cool idea. Make sure there's a good bit of surface area for the filter. Air doesn't pass through them as readily as one might think so it wouldn't hurt to put a little more than what you think you'll need.

I just finished drilling the holes and glueing on the filters. I added one more. I now have three filters each with 3 inches exposed surface area just to be safe. And if that still feels restricted I can add more. I have another hole for a portable UV light that I will use as additional sterilization after the box is closed up. I will only use UV as a pre-op procedure for un-inoculated stuff like agar and jars. I don't plan to expose any active cultures to UV. I suspect it would probably kill them. And of course the UV won't be turned on when I am working for obvious safety reasons.

Edited by Jinroh, 08 September 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#69 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

I learned a very important lesson last night. Luckily I learned this lesson on the throw-away contamed tray and not my bulk tub.
The lesson I learned was to always label spray bottles and never keep alcohol and water in the same exact color and type of bottle (especially not labeled).
Last night I misted the tray with alcohol instead of water! This morning everything in the tray was black. LOL
I am an idiot.

The good news is that my bulk tub appears to be well into its first flush. And they look much healthier than the contam tray did (thankfully).

G-Teach Bulk Tub 09_11_19.jpg

#70 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

Advice please!!

Can someone give me an opinion on what caused this BRF jar to pin early before the cake was fully colonized? Keep in mind that I have 12 jars, all the same size, all the same BRF formula, all made and sterilized on the same day, all inoculated at the same time. and this jar is the only one that is pinning early. I have 4 Alc, 4 GT, and 4 B+. The jar in the image is Alc.
What should I do with this jar? Just let it keep pinning until the whole jar is white, or should I birth it now and not worry about the BRF that is not consumed?

early pinning.jpg

#71 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

I did the same thing with my alcohol spray bottle a little while back. The bad part is I put the alcohol in a different color AND shaped bottle and still did it. My advice is don't store them next to each other even if in different colored bottles.
The cake pinning early can be a few things. Could be some hidden contam, could be the jars moisture was off and could just be the genetics.
  • Jinroh likes this

#72 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

I did the same thing with my alcohol spray bottle a little while back. The bad part is I put the alcohol in a different color AND shaped bottle and still did it. My advice is don't store them next to each other even if in different colored bottles.
The cake pinning early can be a few things. Could be some hidden contam, could be the jars moisture was off and could just be the genetics.

Well I guess I don't feel as stupid... still feel stupid though. LOL

So what do you think I should do with that jar? Just wait it out to see if it goes too 100% or does it stop colonizing once it starts to pin?

#73 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

Wait it out. If it's genetics it'll finish colonizing. Something else I forgot is you could possibly be getting too much GE in the jar

#74 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Wait it out. If it's genetics it'll finish colonizing. Something else I forgot is you could possibly be getting too much GE in the jar

What is GE?

#75 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

Gas exchange

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”
  • Jinroh likes this

#76 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

Gas exchange

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

Thanks! That is probably the case. I think I am allowing too much air in to some of them. I do not plan on using those lids again.

#77 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

Here is the very first pick from my first bulk tub. I let it grow fully and it dropped its spores but I wanted to see how big this species got in my environment. Much more healthier than the red tray. LOL

I do not plan to let the rest grow to the point of spore drop unless some get away from me.

G-Teach _09_12_19_first.jpg

• LegoMyego likes this

#78 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Congrats brother. Don't forget to take some prints
  • Jinroh likes this

#79 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

Congrats brother. Don't forget to take some prints

Thanks! And you bet I will!

#80 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

I have been doing jars for far too long. Years.. I used to travel a lot, and it was inconspicuous all while producing without having to spawn it. It’s hard to tell from just one side but I would be willing to bet that jar is fully colonized. As the mycelium colonize’s the spawn it shrinks. Some more than others. I believe what you’re seeing is the top vermiculite layer being shifted. falling to the sides.

Based off of my experience I would watch those pins. Once they are full grown, birth the jar. If it’s not fully colonized, it certainly will be by then.
  • Jinroh likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!