• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

I have been doing jars for far too long. Years.. I used to travel a lot, and it was inconspicuous all while producing without having to spawn it. It’s hard to tell from just one side but I would be willing to bet that jar is fully colonized. As the mycelium colonize’s the spawn it shrinks. Some more than others. I believe what you’re seeing is the top vermiculite layer being shifted. falling to the sides.

Based off of my experience I would watch those pins. Once they are full grown, birth the jar. If it’s not fully colonized, it certainly will be by then.

Thank you for your input Cybele! I was starting to wonder that myself but this being my first time, I was unsure when to birth. The jar I showed is actually one of 12 that are the same age, but each jar has decided to colonize at different speeds for some reason. I will birth any jar that makes a full grown pin!

• cybele likes this

#82 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

I have been doing jars for far too long. Years.. I used to travel a lot, and it was inconspicuous all while producing without having to spawn it. It’s hard to tell from just one side but I would be willing to bet that jar is fully colonized. As the mycelium colonize’s the spawn it shrinks. Some more than others. I believe what you’re seeing is the top vermiculite layer being shifted. falling to the sides.

Based off of my experience I would watch those pins. Once they are full grown, birth the jar. If it’s not fully colonized, it certainly will be by then.

You were 100% correct! half of the jars are 100%, the material that is not white seems to still be colonized, it is stuck together and will not rub off like a dry layer would. I have them soaking right now!

• cybele likes this

#83 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

If they were inoculated with a MS syringe than the colonization times will differ greatly from jar to jar. The rule of thumb is that thirty days from inoculation they should be fully colonized if you are using spores. With that being said each spore is a completely different set of genes and variables. You are hitting the cueball into a pool table with a millions of spores, pandamonium. A chaotic explosion of genetic darts in the dark with each shoot of that syringe.

The fun thing to do is keep up with each one. It is all an experiment, and you need to track which jars produce the most, which colonized first etc.

• Jinroh likes this

#84 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:18 PM

If they were inoculated with a MS syringe than the colonization times will differ greatly from jar to jar.

That certainly has proven to be true so far... and it was a spore syringe. I am at the stage where I am trying several methods of cultivation to decide which one works best for me. I am even trying hydroshrooming. It is still too early to tell, and I like all the methods so far. The only methods of inoculation I haver not tried is liquid culture and agar, but that is about to change now that I am starting to get material to work with.

#85 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

post-160139-0-20759600-1567980291.jpg

Interesting design.

• Jinroh likes this

#86 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:38 PM

Agreed. It is definitely better than just two open arm holes.

#87 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

Interesting design.

Would you do something different? It was my first SAB but it's been working so well I haven't considered changing it.

#88 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

I attached long gloves to my box with plumbing pipe connectors and hot glue, then used circle clamps to hold them on. I have also taped ziplocks cut in half over the holes and cut a small hole to shove my arms through. It got old buying sleeve protectors and disposable gloves though.

#89 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

Here are six BRF that I birthed yesterday. They started growing a couple hours after they hit the chamber.

hydro.jpg

• onediadem likes this

#90 dschill2

dschill2

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

Oh man, Thanks for this post. I was a member here many years ago then had to step back due to some poor life choices. Your post really got me excited about getting back into something i really love and have missed dearly.

• Jinroh likes this

#91 Jinroh

Jinroh

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:12 PM

Oh man, Thanks for this post. I was a member here many years ago then had to step back due to some poor life choices. Your post really got me excited about getting back into something i really love and have missed dearly.

Well then welcome back!! As I found out recently, you are definitely in the right place for advice and direction! Everyone has been really cool and helpful to me so far. Not a single troll either.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!