Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best 'disposal' of the used up mycelium/substate?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

How do I best 'dispose' of the used up mycelium? I live in a city apartment and ground around here is checked on all the time.

#2 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

A worm compost bin. Or in the dumpster. 

• Juthro likes this

#3 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

I wish there was a compost bin around here.

Stuff put in the dumpster isn't very anonymous these days. Seems good to prevent tracking back to the grower.

Even worse are the disposable petri dishes. I'm bleaching them in a bucket currently.

#4 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:14 PM

sandman nailed it.          i am in apartment i feed the spent subs to the worms along with my food scraps.

#5 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

Nobody is running forensics on your rando trash. Or you got other things to worry about. Garbage man is just trying to get home. Unless there is a literal human body, he isn't starting a case on every piece of moldy weird shit he sees.

• TVCasualty, Microbe, Hattrick and 1 other like this

#6 Calba

Calba

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

Release into the wild? Local woods?
  • Hattrick likes this

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Nobody is running forensics on your rando trash. Or you got other things to worry about. Garbage man is just trying to get home. Unless there is a literal human body, he isn't starting a case on every piece of moldy weird shit he sees.

Just be sure to pluck off all the little pins and aborts, and especially any actual mushrooms that may have been discarded along with the sub. And that's only a concern if tossing it directly into the dumpster without bagging it first.

FWIW, a spent sub that's busted-up and tossed into a dumpster (whether bagged or not), if retrieved for analysis, is going to contaminate horribly and not provide anyone any meaningful results and may even mess someone up who tries if they don't know what they're doing.

If you want to ensure that's the case then you can "inoculate" spent subs with a few handfuls of dirt gathered on your way home from work, or leftover food scraps or whatever.

The primary concern in apartment growing is the landlord/property manager/maintenance crew (basically anyone who has a key), which is why I always change the locks of any dwelling I'm renting. Many landlords fail to re-key locks for new tenants, so it may also be the case that a prior tenant has a key so it's basic prudence even if you're not up to anything sketchy.

If they attempt to gain entry when you're not home without notifying you and giving you some notice first (which is the law unless there's an emergency, but it's obviously not always followed) and they find they can't then they'll be on your case real quick as it violates the lease but it gives you time to take care of things. It's better to just have to find a new place to live than to find a new place to live after getting out of jail.

Also, keep bigger-picture stuff in mind at all times; how do you appear to your neighbors? Who do they think you are, what do they think you do? What sort of impression do your friends who visit give your neighbors? And more importantly, what level of concern/paranoia is actually justified for the level at which you're growing? If it's a case of half-pint BRF jars in a tub or aquarium then unless your fruiting chamber is visible and accessible to guests (or landlords with keys) then you can mostly relax.

Mostly.

IMO one should never really relax completely and abandon all concerns or a reasonable level of paranoia in the context of committing what could be charged as a felony or two.

• Auxin and cappisdelecti like this

#8 DragonFart

DragonFart

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:01 PM

Break it up and Flush it down the toilet
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#9 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:05 AM

I don't hesitate to dump contamed coir/verm subtrate into the complex's dumpster as long as its never consolidated into mycelium block. I pity anyone diving into that foul stench.

I just realized that i might grind spent mycelium blocks up to spawn run a portabello crop into...use it as a mushroom compost.

#10 Hattrick

Hattrick

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

I live in a condo where they require us to provide a key to management. We are going out of town next week for 10 days, and management sent out an email that next week they would be entering all the condos and going into the attics to look for water damage from a major storm we recently had. I wasn’t planning on dumping all my stuff but after that email, I decided to lose it all. So just yesterday i loaded up a garbage bag with 4 tubs of substrates (which were only two magnificent flushes in ) and hiked back intothe woods near the beach with fishing poles in hand as props. I found a suitable spot and about 200 mosquito bites later had dumped it all. I use an app called "What3Words” which puts a three word definition to every 3 meter square on planet earth. Its great for marking and sharing secret fishing spots, and anything else like that. I see Uber using it in the future as well. Sorry to ramble but hope it helps you or someone else. Peace out!
  • sandman, Microbe and Calba like this

#11 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

Ouch. Everything? Did you least give them a home? Or bury everything for later recovery?

"What3words" sounds unique and definitely worth a look.

I've been reconstructing a couple plastic doored shelving units inherited from a friend's move. They have plastic hasps to keep honest landlords from peeking within. They might be good for holding bags and jars.
  • Hattrick likes this

#12 Hattrick

Hattrick

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

Thanks cappisdelecti, I dumped all the sustrates and smoothed it all out. I took the tubs to the car wash and sprayed them out real good. This was my first grow and lasted a little more than 3 months. I harvested a little shy of 300 dry grams which honestly should last me a few years even with generous sharing with family and close friends. I do also have 12 jars of truffles going about 2 months in on those (philosophers stones should be really good right around the holidays ). Those should be easy enough to hide since they need to be in the dark anyway I’ll just box them up tape it all up and bury the box in a closet.
  • cappisdelecti likes this

#13 randomlife

randomlife

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

A small Trebuchet was always an idea I've had for getting rid of eggs i was not sure of.  Or repot some of the house plants.

• TVCasualty and cappisdelecti like this

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

A small Trebuchet was always an idea I've had for getting rid of eggs i was not sure of.  Or repot some of the house plants.

lol, and to think that I could've been using my dogapult to get rid of that stuff all this time!

Incidentally, a dogapult is just like a catapult except I modified mine so I could fling my neighbors' dogs back to their respective properties when I catch them crapping in my yard. I imagine it will work well for spent subs, too.

• cappisdelecti and randomlife like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!