• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

Ive been taking care of my mom. Keep having to put her in the hospital for acute psychosis. She just gets more out there than we can help or even contain and in a short period of time. Scared she's gonna hurt herself and I have to sleep even though she may not for a couple days.... On top of that I was recently fired which is why you see me around here so much lately. At least it gives me some time to focus on my mom when she's home and I was complacent at the job I was at anyways.

#42 Tomfa

Tomfa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your mom kap, and you as well. I am sure things are really good when your moms' medication is working, and when she takes it, and overwhelming when she cycles out of control. With her mind going a million miles an hour, no one could possibly keep up, and with the state of mental health being what it is these days, it makes life very difficult for families dealing with these issues. Here in my state, we have a shortage of proper facilities, but there are times that families are able to bring a family member from inpatient into a type of halfway/boarding facility that is staffed with mental health professionals. When I was in the field, I started out in one of these facilities. Some people stayed for weeks, and others are there for years, but the great part is that these folks are able to lead independent lives, and at the same time, making sure they get proper medication management, and inpatient care when needed. Unexpected challenges for sure, but, if you have facilities like this in your state, I would encourage you to go visit and explore the possibility of having an additional resource.

#43 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Unfortunately my state is lacking in places like that. We've been exploring options because she has more bad days than good and it's getting progressively worse each cycle. Then when she is good she just wants to try and convince everyone that her delusions were real. Can't get her to talk about other things and can't get her to understand that all the external problems she thinks she has is just paranoia and delusions and won't accept that many of the things she thinks has happened to her was merely hallucinations. She convinces herself when she's at her best that they were just "vivid dreams" and that she's been asleep for days even though she was actually awake the whole time and accusing everyone around of some wild shit she was imagining. It's wild how multiple people can tell her what really happened yet she chooses to argue and believe that her delusion is what really happened. It's like shes in denial that there's something wrong with her mind and she wants to blame it on everything thing else around her no matter how nonsensical it may be to put the blame on those things. That and she's gotten to where she's lost all empathy and expects everyone around her to pay constant attention to her at all times which means when we go to sleep she'll wake us up over and over to talk about some nonsense. It sucks but she needs inpatient care and I can't find a place that offers that except in a neighboring state and you have to be a resident of that state to be a patient there so I really have no idea what to do at this point and her DR has been completely useless for the most part. It's like he doesn't understand what's going on with her and doesn't seem to listen to what I tell him is going on. Just wants to treat things like it's all hunky dory and still hasn't gotten back to me about other options.

#44 Tomfa

Tomfa

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

Damn, nothing gets under my skin more than poor provider care. I, and you more so, know the limitations that health care providers are under because of insurance dictating care. That in itself has never made sense. Anyway, I hope your able to push up through the health care chain in your state, including visits to every single politician that supposedly represents you, and ask for their help. If you visit often enough... You know, like every day, then they will get tired of seeing you and start making calls. Before you go, try to formulate a treatment plan that you think will work, like inpatient stay until comp, etely stabilized on meds, not just until they barely start her on them. Try to do a basic treatment history for them so they know what has been done before. Most importantly, and I know this is a chore, always be professional and polite, despite sheathing underneath. They know your frustration, but they will likely help more, once they know your going to be on their doorstep everyday, but also being more sincere than anyone deserves. Really, I feel for you, and hope your able to get the right people on board. When they send you to someone, make sure they know your going to be back the very next day to give them a personal update, and keep asking them questions on how they can help. If they say they can't, then tell them that isn't good enough, and ask them to hire and psy for legal representation to force the state to take action. I know it sounds difficult, but if you have good political reps, they will help.
  • RainbowCatepillar likes this

#45 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:11 AM

@Kapn, I'm so sorry you have so much on your plate. That sounds terribly stressful.. For what it's worth, I am wishing you and your family peace and wellness. Please keep us updated on you and your mom's condition. Tomfa has shared insights that I hope will help. 

@Tomfa, thank you for your genuine expressions of empathy and concern. I also thank you for sharing your insights because any of us can be in the same position. This information is invaluable.. 

• Tomfa likes this

#46 KapnDank

KapnDank

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

Thanks guys. It was good letting that all out and tomfa thanks for the info. Now I at least have a direction to take
  • Tomfa and RainbowCatepillar like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!