24 replies to this topic

#21 gonefishen

gonefishen

cactus protector

• Free Member
  • 473 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

It is a live call in show you can call and put your idea out for the world to hear if your confident enough. Or maybe I should say brave enough to have your beliefs held to the proverbial fire and see if they actually hold any water.

Knowing what I know about the show though I very much doubt they would put a whole lot of weight in a observation that a person thinks they have had while they're brain is knowingly altered on a drug. I tend to think using dmt and like substances help to perhaps see things from fresh angles but a gateway to the "truth" well I wouldn't go that far. For my 2 cents it's useful for alot of things but if i didn't know the answer to the meaning of life entering a trip I very much doubt my brain would some how acquire that information by putting "my brain on drugs".  Just my 2 cents...

Edited by gonefishen, 08 September 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

It is a live call in show you can call and put your idea out for the world to hear if your confident enough. Or maybe I should say brave enough to have your beliefs held to the proverbial fire and see if they actually hold any water.

Knowing what I know about the show though I very much doubt they would put a whole lot of weight in a observation that a person thinks they have had while they're brain is knowingly altered on a drug. I tend to think using dmt and like substances help to perhaps see things from fresh angles but a gateway to the "truth" well I wouldn't go that far. For my 2 cents it's useful for alot of things but if i didn't know the answer to the meaning of life entering a trip I very much doubt my brain would some how acquire that information by putting "my brain on drugs".  Just my 2 cents...

I know they wouldn't. And they shouldn't, because it would be entirely anecdotal and would not be valid in a scientific sense.

That said, our entire lives are "anecdotal."

The important thing is that we don't assume our own anecdotes are "the truth." I consider what I've experienced under the influence of psychedelics to be "puzzling evidence," which is not the same as Truth but not necessarily different from it, either. I guess it goes back to that old notion of seeking out those who are searching for The Truth but running like hell away from those who claimed to have found it.

This becomes a bit trickier to parse when we consider that ALL of our experiences are contexts where our brains were "on drugs." Most of the time it's one of the usual suspects, i.e., dopamine, serotonin, adrenaline, oxytocin, or endorphins (among others), which some label as "natural highs."

I have a few things in my own Puzzling Evidence file that are examples of things I knew after a mushroom trip that I had never learned elsewhere. There is more than one way that that can occur, however.

Edited by TVCasualty, 08 September 2019 - 07:38 PM.

#23 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

I decided to try just this, I put my washcloth over my face and put my face under the shower head.  That was enough to show me waterboarding.  I barely waterboarded myself.  No questions now.

• TVCasualty likes this

#24 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

That seems a much quicker and easier way to do it than Hitchens chose. Adding the rest of the stuff that was involved in his experience only enriches and deepens one's reflexive panic, I imagine.

• Alder Logs likes this

#25 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

I have never been one prone to panic (this is fairly typical of ADHD types), but when I did the shower/washcloth test, the effect was instant.   It was shocking to me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!