• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

I know we have a dirt maker wandering around these threads.

Anyone here like to grow trees from wild seed? Where are our root makers!?

Last year I grew around 20 white oaks (Quercas Alba) from seed. Only around 6 of them made it, and all were transferred to a family farm. Three of those were eaten shortly after transplant. The last three have been protected by chicken wire, and are doing great!

When the summer dies down, and I won’t melt I like to wander the surrounding area and start watching the trees slowly grow their seeds.

This allows me to know almost certainly when they will be ready for collection!

It’s just September and some acorns are already taking their “leap” of faith. Not to mention you hear the squirrel activity picking up.

I have only done this on a small scale specifically for white oaks. For just This year I want to venture into other species, and learn what all I can do to really maximize their potential.

Right now we have some red oak acorns in the fridge for stratification, and a whole collection of white oak acorns going through their float test.

One tree line on our property is also covered in blackberry vines. Is anyone experienced with transferring them?
  • onediadem, crazy1, wildedibles and 2 others like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,796 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

I do love the trees :)

I don't actively plant wild trees where I live, here it's actually work to keep the volunteers from growing where you don't want them to.  Lots of white spruce, and paper birch around the property   I try to encourage the volunteers when they start in places that won't cause me grief once they grow full size.

• crazy1, wildedibles and cybele like this

#3 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 01:59 AM

Size is very important really take a look at that momma tree your getting the seeds from...I live right in a small town and planted several trees in the following couple years cuz I had no trees on that side of my house .... having a football feild or a forest to plant in has different needs there is still many trees to consider...me I love growing food or medicine for us or pets or wild critters....I like growing what grows around me and ya know in love with exotics too

So .... I haven't started acorns from seed but I have an oak on my neighbor fence hanging over and I get my fair share foraging....what is the difference between red and white oak?

I have grown many trees in my hedge by seed but it was threw guinney pig shavings or dumped applies along the front eventually covered by leaves and other thin mulch layers....trying to feed critters and improve soil life....I've been watching YouTube ahhhh... Food forest or planting more diversity creating more life and therefore improving the health of tree care....when I see my trees finally growing they are older and hardy trees that have grown in the spot that was best let nature take control....I have not had to water this much maybe once a year but with a herb cover it's hard to see the trees...I don't cut my herb layer totally, I only cut ones out that I harvest leaving some around the trees or cutting out where I don't want I growing..... this I believe protects the strong trees and weak ones get eaten in the hedge by something....

I dig many trees up and care here must be more hands on and more complex than letting nature take control or you end up with a dead tree many of them too sorry tree I tried....

Berries I have raspberries naturally....been thinking about blackberries lately.... I'm waiting for fruit to be done or go pick some next day or two the fruit and look for fruitless flowerless stalks these should flower next year being older or by giving it a sunny spot some plants just waiting for thier spot to get sunny again and they have fruit again I see many blueberry bushes like this with no fruit in too much shade.....

....I have many trials and error's with many soil types but I will get back to you later....
  • cybele likes this

#4 cybele

cybele

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Size is very important really take a look at that momma tree your getting the seeds from...I live right in a small town and planted several trees in the following couple years cuz I had no trees on that side of my house .... having a football feild or a forest to plant in has different needs there is still many trees to consider...me I love growing food or medicine for us or pets or wild critters....I like growing what grows around me and ya know in love with exotics too

So .... I haven't started acorns from seed but I have an oak on my neighbor fence hanging over and I get my fair share foraging....what is the difference between red and white oak?

I have grown many trees in my hedge by seed but it was threw guinney pig shavings or dumped applies along the front eventually covered by leaves and other thin mulch layers....trying to feed critters and improve soil life....I've been watching YouTube ahhhh... Food forest or planting more diversity creating more life and therefore improving the health of tree care....when I see my trees finally growing they are older and hardy trees that have grown in the spot that was best let nature take control....I have not had to water this much maybe once a year but with a herb cover it's hard to see the trees...I don't cut my herb layer totally, I only cut ones out that I harvest leaving some around the trees or cutting out where I don't want I growing..... this I believe protects the strong trees and weak ones get eaten in the hedge by something....

I dig many trees up and care here must be more hands on and more complex than letting nature take control or you end up with a dead tree many of them too sorry tree I tried....

Berries I have raspberries naturally....been thinking about blackberries lately.... I'm waiting for fruit to be done or go pick some next day or two the fruit and look for fruitless flowerless stalks these should flower next year being older or by giving it a sunny spot some plants just waiting for thier spot to get sunny again and they have fruit again I see many blueberry bushes like this with no fruit in too much shade.....

....I have many trials and error's with many soil types but I will get back to you later....

I have not taken in account for a variety of species. Mostly because I am not planting on my own land. I am transferring them to a three thousand acre farm. The owner is a family member and he is going about reforesting at a snails pace. They have wanted to specialize in hardwoods, specifically oaks because the acorns are a huge food source for the deer. I plan on branching out further this year, pun intended! Cedar is one,  but we are trying to stay away from pine. I am working towards a simple principle. Large hardwoods, with some medium growth underneath it, and lastly a solid ground cover. Everything needs to compliment each other. 

The farm is mainly used for row cropping. However the family has always kept some strips, and squares of forests for some diversity. We call them plots, or hardwood "stands". When we first started to get the idea to intervene with the wildness of the land we started with a test plot. This was three years ago, and the test plot was a four acre hardwood stand. Throughout the hardwood stand there was also some pines. None of the land/forests had been managed besides the acreage used for row-cropping.  Nothing was growing on the ground besides extensive briars, and thorns. The ground was extremely acidic from the pine needles laying there year after year. We harvested all of the pine trees in that three acre plot, and cleared out all of the needles. Most of it was burnt, and then scattered through out the stand that first winter. That spring we planted red-clover. An amazing nitrogen fixing plant. It has been three years, and the oaks in that stand have had record growth. You can measure green growth on Oaks, and every year he keeps an average measurement. He has engineer tape, around the same branches so he can record the exact same branches every year.

Right now we are planning to isolate some of the blackberries from my property to the farm. They are infected here, but some of the yearling shoots have not leafed. Leaving them safe until we can move them. We shall see in due time.

• wildedibles likes this

#5 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 8,292 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:39 AM

Sounds exciting :-) I had a closer look in my hedge and I cannot believe how many apple and oak trees I have in there you got me excited but I didn't plant most of them I just added the acorns and apples to the area I wanted them to grow and let nature take over....some I planted ....

What rvtge black berries infected with??

I have grapes to start and we cut back some choke cherry trees I think planting them under they might get the protection they need and the cherry to grow up the Virginia creeper likes them I think these grapes are strong enough to take the Virginia creeper over
....anyway my point is I was gonna plant the seeds in paper cups and into the ground where I want them this way I know where I put them....special dirt I wanna layer stones for drainage sand to mimic nature top soil peat moss mix and a little hay and bunny poo on top does this kinda thing work you can see where the plant is but they can grow outa paper cup?? I want my pears this way too I want to plant them in the middle of the lawn so I really want to know where they are

I'm thinking diff colored stones for diff nutrients ...and mushrooms to match for better growing...oak and mushrooms work well too you can find many edibles growing with oak

#6 Sicshroom

Sicshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 366 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:14 AM

Do you harvest fungi/bacteria from older trees roots to noc up your baby tree? The root makers and oldest trees tend to hand the best root systems by living with fungi and bacteria that are attached to and living on/in the roots I dig down and plant brown rice bags at the roots of the tree on my property and after 60 days under ground i dig up the rice and ferment the bag in a bucket filled with water molasses and some sawdust. After brewing with am air stone for 30 days I add this liquid to my raised beds. I dont really have to worry about dehydration in the summer months.
  • crazy1 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!