• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

I will openly admit I am not impressed with the new TOOL album. Agree/disagree?
  • Advocate4TheMT and Alem like this

#2 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:54 AM

I gotta say I like it. Don’t get me wrong it’s no undertow or anima and definitely not lateralus! But it’s still got the magic with those crazy time signatures and capability to force feed the fans emotion.

They remain an amazing medium to project the live energy that sound is in beautifully abstract ways.

“If you have a question just ask!! Because if I have a question I’m gonna ask you!!”:-)

Edited by Advocate4TheMT, 04 September 2019 - 02:00 AM.

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:44 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate the project. I just really don’t see a single song on there growing on me. Years and years later 90% of their work can still raise goosebumps on my skin. I just don’t see that happening with this one. 9fb3899187a129b4845881cbe12b6ecc.jpg
  • Sidestreet, Advocate4TheMT, WanderingWildcrafter and 1 other like this

#4 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:30 PM

I am loving it!

One thing to consider is the fact that the first two songs account for almost 20 minutes. This can create a  sort of odd listening experience, as I have only listened to the full album once so far

• Advocate4TheMT likes this

#5 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate the project. I just really don’t see a single song on there growing on me. Years and years later 90% of their work can still raise goosebumps on my skin. I just don’t see that happening with this one. <script data-pagespeed-no-defer type="text/javascript">//b||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split("."),d=t;a[0]in d||!d.execScript||d.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===c?d[e]?d=d[e]:d=d[e]={}:d[e]=c};function v(b){var c=b.length;if(0=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if©{d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch®{try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var d=0;a=c[d];++d){var e=a.getAttribute("data-pagespeed-url-hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A®},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://mycotopia.ne...ums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=107383&p=1421415&md5check=31e92c6c48b5036a1def176188774070&isRte=1,lMGhzzyjA5,true,false,Fo75G7jJM8Y'); //]]></script> 9fb3899187a129b4845881cbe12b6ecc.jpg&&0){for(var>)throw>

I am starting to get them from the first track, slowly. You gotta remember tool takes time to digest. It is not meant to be enjoyed quick and easily

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

I’ve listened to it through, in order several times. I just don’t see this one taking for me. The songs I do like are only cause they sound like other songs of theirs. I don’t mind having the unpopular opinion on this.
My girl and I had a very in-depth conversation about the whole thing and she feels the same way.
I am glad you are enjoying it though.

#7 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:38 PM

I disagree with the not enjoying it quickly. Every other album has had the “oh shit this is fucking good” response. All the way back to opiate. I remember listening to that one back in high school and having my mind blown.

#8 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

I disagree with the not enjoying it quickly. Every other album has had the “oh shit this is fucking good” response. All the way back to opiate. I remember listening to that one back in high school and having my mind blown.

Me too, but I think it was more the mary jane that was really doing it for me back then. 

I was thinking the same about some of the songs sounding similar, at first It turned me off. But then I started to think about how the song sort of tricks you, it feels like a tool song you all ready know but it clearly is not. I would agree that it may not be their strongest sound though. 

Interestingly In music I find most people gravitate towards earlier albums as their favorites, in fact most often the first album. They then see a gradual downward spiral. I even would have a few myself. Not sure why this is but it is apparent to me

Sorry it was a disappointment, especially after a decade  

Edited by flashingrooster, 04 September 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#9 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Love that wavy guitar effect in the first song, it makes me think of a suitar 

Edited by flashingrooster, 04 September 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#10 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

In my opinion they peaked at aenima. Not saying I don’t love 10000 days and lateralus. Cause I absolutely do. Some of my favorite tacks are on those two albums. But as an overall work aenima blows them both out of the water.
So far as album progression, bands mature and change. I’m sure we can both name a dozen bands that we have seen this happen to. There is nothing we can do about that.
I recently had a pretty deep conversation about emotional investment in music and I think that is why people will often gravitate toward earlier works from an artist. But there is also the fact that bands sounds change along the way.
  • gonefishen likes this

#11 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

They have to, my friends and I play music every Wednesday. As an artist you just have to change it up. It gets stale playing the same songs and never experimenting. Someone once said after we turn thirty we stop finding new music and just basically stick with what we know

I think my favorite is Lateralus,  The grudge!

Edited by flashingrooster, 04 September 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#12 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

Have to agree-

I must wonder if Maynard wasn't speaking of himself in the song where he sings

' A warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential'

Seems like an awful lot of chunky metal fill that sounds like not-actually-subtle-at-all revamps of old material.

Did my best not to get my hopes up, but all in all have to say I'm a bit dissapointed.

Some of my fondest memories are of blasting Tool or APC at 3am drifting around corners in deserted desert canyon subdivisions whilst high on LSD and driving in my best friends 66 volkswagon beetle. 

I can't see this album being one that would be part of that playlist.

#13 gonefishen

gonefishen

cactus protector

• Free Member
  • 474 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:22 AM

I will openly admit I am not impressed with the new TOOL album. Agree/disagree?

Agreed It's tool but mostly musicical masterbation from my point of view there is nothing really "profound there". I personally feel that they shit all over the fan base being that this is the final tool album ever. Every song is over 10 minutes :ohmy: and to add insult to injury 3 of the 10 songs on the album are instrumentals....funk tool they used to be so cool... owell

#14 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

From listening to Maynard on JRE I don’t think he’s been too happy with a lot of the going-ons as a collective. I always thought they weren’t on streaming services as a statement. Come to find out they just never made the decision to make the move. He pretty much outted them in not so many words. Claiming each simple decision takes months and months to even be addressed,never mind agreed upon.

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

#15 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycophage

• Gold VIP
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Ok don't y'all get all "tooly" on me ... but as a post 50+ year old female. who admittedly just just found tool .. due mostly to the streaming ..   I REALLY like a couple of the new songs.  and  I am going to see them perform ..with my son um yes i'm a grand ma ,, but now my son and I have found some common ground via tool.

As someone who is in the same age group as the musicians I can relate to a-lot of the lyrics  especially on Invincible and Fear Inoculum :struggling to stay relevant and/or consequential long in tooth and soul. Once invincible now the armors wearing thin.. heavy shield down ... tripping through remember when and the riffs although I detect similarities to other tool songs are still pretty cutting edge time signature wise compared to other "main stream" music out there.

Don't  be too hard in them although its a disappointment when we learn of others selling out... most of have to "sellout" one way or another sometime before we die, thy just have 3-4 million people to judge them .   I'm just glad they're on the earth the same time as me so I can enjoy it in the present... which well isn't that very tooly of me lol 

• Sidestreet and Misfit like this

#16 randomlife

randomlife

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:26 AM

Thought new tool album was going to be a place for pictures of new tools and equipment. Now I feel like a tool. At least I've something to listen to now.

• Misfit likes this

#17 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

It can be

• Severian likes this

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,833 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

Thought new tool album was going to be a place for pictures of new tools and equipment. Now I feel like a tool. At least I've something to listen to now.

You'll find that thread here:

https://mycotopia.ne...f-a-lab-thread/

• Oneyedraven likes this

#19 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

Nice. Gonna browse through this one later

#20 Advocate4TheMT

Advocate4TheMT

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 298 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Ok it’s been quite a few days.
The new album is fuckin amazing.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about tool albums it’s you can’t compare you can only relate.
ed7f3beb985a33692797008a3342fe19.jpg

“If you have a question just ask!! Because if I have a question I’m gonna ask you!!”:-)
  • Oneyedraven, Misfit, WanderingWildcrafter and 1 other like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!