4 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

I live in the northeast, and winters get pretty brutal here,

also live in an older house, and to keep finances in reason, I don't intend to heat the indoors to 75 degrees during the winter.

I tried searching for 'Cold Resistance' and 'Temperature sensitive strains' and didn't come up with anything

Does anyone have any recommendations for more cold tolerant strains? Both psilocybin and edible/medicinal mushrooms.

#2 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:26 AM

are you thinking indoor or outdoor? which ever it is you choose to do we need to know approximate temps that are typical? 

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

It will be indoor. As far as typical temperatures- This is my first winter here- and its my first winter in a house with an oil boiler and raditator heat- I would venture a guess and say

60 degrees?

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

Too-high temperatures are a bigger problem IME.

When the temp is below optimum it just slows things down. I'm not sure what temp a sub has to drop to for all growth to stop, but at 60 you're still well-above that but the growth will be slow enough where dehydration of the sub can become an issue.

Without using supplemental heating, you can boost the substrate temp by insulating whatever they're growing in to contain the heat they generate. Self-generated heating won't effect the subs's temp until there's enough mycelium present (which depends on the size of the sub) but eventually you'll see the temp start to rise.

Incubating/fruiting your grow as high up in the room as is practical can help, plus it also has the added benefit of reducing your sub's exposure to contaminants (since ~90% of airborne contams are within 12" of the floor).

Edited by TVCasualty, 08 September 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• crazy1 and Severian like this

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:46 PM

Hey thanks for this- and for the added tip about airborne contaminants.

I had no idea about that.

• TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!