• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

One thing that psychedelics has taught me is that whether collective consciousness exists or not we are a collective. Everyone is a cog turning an ever growing system. Everyone is needed, no matter what they do or do not do. Even the criminals the system "tries" to eradicate keep the system going. to go to that extreme.

If one lived in the remote wilderness, and built everything including their own tools from local resources that person could stand tall and say I have done this all on my own with the help of nature alone.

I have a family member that owns a very successful large scale lawn maintenance company. He consistently says in exact words. I have done this on my own. Yet never regards the machinists who made the parts, or the company that bought and assembled them to produce any of his machinery. The oil field guys who keep his fleet running or gas in his trucks. I find it quite egotistical, and arrogant.

We all depend on each other whether we know it, or acknowledge it. So I think everyone should be treated with the utmost respect no matter what their position or job is.

I am a contractor who works in the aviation field. Primarily in the rotary wing industry, helicopters.

What do our fellow mycotopian's do for work!

• Alder Logs, Juthro and ItBeBasidia like this

#2 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

RN for 35 years

• cybele likes this

#3 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

RN for 35 years

I have been thinking about making a switch to the medical field. Contracting is not the most stable line of work. However as I have got older my tolerance for all the gore has decreased. I do not think I could handle that! Thank you for keeping us healthy!

#4 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

Aw thanks .  You should.  There are so many areas of practice you don't have to see gore, unless you thrive on it....:)

• cybele likes this

#5 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

Well, I'm one year away from being a teacher. 
Next semester I start student teaching.. Even though it's

no longer my actual career goal, it'll be a good spring board into

my actual interests..

• cybele likes this

#6 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

my actual interests..

Go on, what is it you realyywant to do?

• cybele likes this

#7 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

my actual interests..

I was hesitant to share for personal reasons, but I want to be a psychologist.

I would love to be able to start a side business that generates enough money for

me to be able to offer therapy and such free of charge to people. They would "pay" by doing

community service and/or taking part in a class that promotes awareness and community involvement like Yoga,

Martial Arts, Art classes, Music class, etc. I come from an extremely pathological background in which many of my family and friends (and myself) are afflicted by psychological issues. To make services accessible to people who can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars would bring me the most joy possible. My goal is to make a living being able to help the world, which is how I got into teaching in the first place..

Edited by RainbowCatepillar, 04 September 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• Juthro, Cuboid and cybele like this

#8 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

I don't know what this side business would be yet, but I suppose

I have time to figure something out. Would be cool if it had something

to do with farming medicinals lol

Edited by RainbowCatepillar, 04 September 2019 - 12:26 PM.

• Cuboid and cybele like this

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

I am currently maintaining and loading weapons systems on A10s. It what I did while active duty. But now I’m a civilian and getting paid a shit ton more. The money is the biggest problem. I can’t find another job(even with a background in robotics and automation) without taking a major pay cut.
I despise working where I work. Aviation is a toxic environment. Add military background and it gets worse.
Every time I trip the mushrooms tell me to get the fuck out of there. The time just isn’t right.
I just recently started back in school. My original path was to get involved in MMJ field. I am on a sustainable plant systems degree path.
Since starting this hobby I am feeling much more inclined to look into a mycology direction.
The biggest problem is this is gonna take a few years. Even if I wasn’t working full time and trying to maintain a healthy relationship and home life.
I guess we will see what happens.
  • cybele likes this

#10 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

my actual interests..

I was hesitant to share for personal reasons, but I want to be a psychologist.

I would love to be able to start a side business that generates enough money for

me to be able to offer therapy and such free of charge to people. They would "pay" by doing

community service and/or taking part in a class that promotes awareness and community involvement like Yoga,

Martial Arts, Art classes, Music class, etc. I come from an extremely pathological background in which many of my family and friends (and myself) are afflicted by psychological issues. To make services accessible to people who can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars would bring me the most joy possible. My goal is to make a living being able to help the world, which is how I got into teaching in the first place..

We are family here, and the anonymity of being shielded by a screen grants us the abillity to talk with open minded, and open eared individuals. One with experiences outside this world, meaning much less likely to judge you for doing anything that a conventional citizen may deem unreasonable. I think your idea is a noble one, and you should continue to work towards it.

#11 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Cybele, thank you so much for your encouraging words! Do you get the chance to fly in the helicopters too?

@Misfit, you are going to do exceptionally well in Mycology! I know you can do it! You already are! :D

• cybele likes this

#12 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

Professional misfit living a life of service as best I can at the moment. 

• Misfit and cybele like this

#13 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

I am currently maintaining and loading weapons systems on A10s. It what I did while active duty. But now I’m a civilian and getting paid a shit ton more. The money is the biggest problem. I can’t find another job(even with a background in robotics and automation) without taking a major pay cut.
I despise working where I work. Aviation is a toxic environment. Add military background and it gets worse.
Every time I trip the mushrooms tell me to get the fuck out of there. The time just isn’t right.
I just recently started back in school. My original path was to get involved in MMJ field. I am on a sustainable plant systems degree path.
Since starting this hobby I am feeling much more inclined to look into a mycology direction.
The biggest problem is this is gonna take a few years. Even if I wasn’t working full time and trying to maintain a healthy relationship and home life.
I guess we will see what happens.

I am right up your alley misfit. Military aviation, and got out to only get right into the civilian sector. I agree with you that the money is the biggest problem. My wife, and I got accustomed to a certain standard of living, and adjusted our bills to that, nicer cars etc. Yet for me being avionics if I want to make the best buck I have to be willing to travel. We have a one year old little girl now, and traveling is not really fitting into what we want out of life. On top of the 60-70 hours a week I usually work. I haven't worked a 40 hour job in three years. I am looking towards transition to another career field. Jumping over to being a mechanic so I can only work my 40, and living humbly off of a lot less income. Or going back to school, but I do not see myself working in the aviation industry much longer. I luckily have not had to deal with too much toxicity, besides them driving the hell out of us and not expecting us to have a home life, but I assume that's every million dollar corporation. Working on war machines, after tripping is quit an eye opener though.

• Alder Logs and Misfit like this

#14 cybele

cybele

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

Cybele, thank you so much for your encouraging words! Do you get the chance to fly in the helicopters too?

@Misfit, you are going to do exceptionally well in Mycology! I know you can do it! You already are! :D

I have flown over the Statue of Liberty, Niagara Falls, The Rockies, and Joshua Tree national park. West to East coast, and too many times in Afghanistan. I have not flown in six years, I always pass up the chance to another technician since most of the ones I work with do not come from a military background . When I left the military I ceremoniously left a lot of things so I could put it behind me, and not allow certain memories to surface. Keeping my feet on the ground was something I promised myself I would do.

Although I feel everyone should see the world from that perspective. A helicopter is much more different from an airplane. After enough times of flying you start seeing the world in a four-dimensional way. Its weird to put into words but you see distance, and height differently. You realize how small we are, and our cities. Its awe-inspiring.

#15 RainbowCatepillar

RainbowCatepillar

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Cybele, it sounds like you're in a tough spot with all that responsibility. And those work hours sound insane. 
Nobody should be working that much! I mean, if it were your passion, that'd be different, but since it's just a job,

it sounds like a draaaggg.. I hope you're able to negotiate a plan with your family to take a job that will be gentler on

your psyche. Only good would come from taking the pay cut because what you "lose" in money will be gained in life satisfaction

and family time. That's just my humble opinion, which you did not ask for lol.. 

• cybele likes this

#16 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

Don’t get me wrong. I love what I do. I hate the people I have to do it with. I have done a ton of work to better myself both mentally and spiritually. I feel like I’m working in a mental ward here. It’s not healthy.
  • Oneyedraven and cybele like this

#17 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

After two years on a diesel sub, I was more than ready to not do that any longer, and the perspective down there would have been so much better if we'd had some windows.   I joined a sub vet's organization thinking I might meet some old shipmates.  I didn't.  The folks there were all about getting shitfaced drunk and defense industry jobs.  My membership lapsed the first year.  The diesel boats were a great place to gain some skills to eventually become a jack-of-all-trades of sorts though.   But, except for many short-lived jobs, working for the man, it's been more odd-jobbing and I never had acquisition as much of a driver.  I have always been the world's worst capitalist, and one who dreams of the Gift Economy eventually taking over my species' means of survival.  We should be excellent to each other.

#18 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:45 PM

Speaking of getting shitfaced, add being sober for 7 years on top of the other challenges I mentioned.

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

Speaking of getting shitfaced, add being sober for 7 years on top of the other challenges I mentioned.

Is it going to be a crisis if you happen to fit in?  :ph34r:

#20 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

It wouldn’t be a crisis either way. But I’m sure you can understand that is another major level of not feeling I belong where I am currently at.
  • cybele likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!