5 replies to this topic

#1 Kensho

Kensho

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

Dunking Cakes after Knotting and *small* pinning In PF Jars

Is it bad to dunk a cake after it is showing knotting and pinning? 

I dunked a cake that had 2 pins for 24hrs and they started to grow fine after only 36hours and even managed to push through the verm layer i added.

Thoughts? Why did it work? I've heard you shouldnt dunk a pinning cake, is this old knowledge?

Thanks.

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

#2 Kensho

Kensho

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

How about rolling verm layer over a pin in a cake? 

Also what if a pin has grown IN the jar and is poking upward toward the verm layer on the cake. Should one still flip the cake once in the chamber? or should you place the cake in the chamber upright to support the normal growth. 

Thank you.

#3 Sambomagambo

Sambomagambo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hey man I am in no way a expert! But I am just finishing up my first grow! I know it's frustrating when no one replies so here I go Haha! I believe it is normal to dunk your cake when it is showing knotting as them nots will form into pins so it is prime time to start fruiting! Alot of people here will wait for pins to show just before they dunk and alot of people dont, they do before pins.... i guess if you wait for pins you know the cake is defo ready to be birthed!

Also all your pins will be pushing through your verm layer, there would be little resistant for them to push through!

I dont think it would make much of a difference what way you put they cake due to the current pins man, you will have many more to come and they should grow up towards your light source, on my cakes most of my best fruits fruited from underneath!

Anyway like I said I'm a noob but I know its frustrating not to get a answer so take mine with a pinch of salt!

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

You might lose a few pins but they'll form new knots if necessary. It's best to dunk cakes that don't have any pins on them since pins just absorb water and will probably abort, making them a potential vector of contamination.

I've taken pins and successfully transplanted them (just for the heck of it). As long as there's a strand of rhizomorphic mycelium attached to the pin it can be reattached to a sub and will finish maturing, so they can be tougher than we think.

• ElrikEriksson and Kensho like this

#5 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

If the cakes need to be dunked, dunk them. Pins aren't a huge investment in resources by the cake.

You can pick the pins off right away or wait to see if they do abort.

At the end of my last flush one cake already had a few new pins, but I also harvested mushrooms from it so I dunked anyway. This is what it looks like 6 days later, the arrows are pointing to the pins that were already there when I dunked, all other growth came after. I should have just picked them off when I dunked for good cake hygiene.

200_8817.jpg

• Kensho likes this

#6 ilikethings

ilikethings

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

depending on your initial cake formula, I'd just pull the few pins off (as described by TVCasualty) so they dont abort and act as a home for contams and dunk them them for 24hrs.  I've been reading more posts from ppl these days dunking before their cakes 1st flush.  Back to my comment re the initial formula; IMO, the original PF tek is a little water heavy (although this may just be bc I've been using smaller verm).  I've switched to 5cups verm : 2.5cups BRF : 2.25cups water and see much faster colonization rates.  It was this reduction in the initial water added that also induced me to start dunking before the first flush, i.e. I birth and dunk cakes after I see 1 - 3 pins.  Only tried this on ~20 - 30 cakes so far.  no hard data yet.

Call me crazy, but I swear I've pulled cakes out of a dunk to find new pins that formed during dunk.

Edited by ilikethings, 08 September 2019 - 10:40 AM.

• Kensho likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!