12 replies to this topic

#1 LeeMush

LeeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hello all

I have been doing some personalised, weirdo-style tek using grain, verm and fruit bad guano but coming to see that this isn't really a widely-used tek and therefore I have massively-reduced faith in it actually coming to fruit. I obtained some GT syringes from a contact on r/sporetraders so for a special deal I purchased a guide and a couple bags of pre-made sub. 

Enter: the massive online trove of freely-offered teks to choose from.

• Wild bird seed (WBS tek)
  • Brown rice flour (BRF tek)
  • dub tubs
  • shotgun fruiting chambers
  • popcorn teks
  • Broke boi tek
  • etc
  • etc

How do you guys decide? Is there some kind of flowchart for figuring out which one, or does it literally come down to what the grower is comfortable with? For example, WBS takes a whole bunch of soaking and rinsing and they might still be too sticky but supposed to be a great sub if you prep it right. Same with broke boi: you have to be careful to cook the rice just right but it takes minimal sanitation against contams in the sub-prep stage. BRF is a favorite of the old timers, at least it looks like it is but still respected by newbies to honor to old.

Is it literally a case of picking one at random and test, learn, repeat?

Edited by LeeMush, 05 September 2019 - 02:07 PM.

• buzzkilluton likes this

#2 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Yeah that's what I did. I picked the easiest most cost effective method I could and rolled with it. It's all up to you and your needs.

#3 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,545 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Tried and true pf tek, brown rice, verm, water. Pressure cook or steam,(2nd choice). Holes in lid inverted, shoot spores in. Wait a month, give or take. Once you have a full jar of
white mycelium you can fruit it, or expand to another substrate adding time and potentially bulk to your grow.

Questions? Here's where to ask. This is how I started, years ago, and I dont vary much on what works.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

The more I read about bat guano, the less I want it anywhere near me, for any reason.

If you have not grown mushrooms before, try the traditional PF TEK and don't "customize" it. Just follow it to the letter and once you get reliable success you'll have a much better sense of what will work for you in terms of other methods of growing. Besides, if you are unfamiliar with what healthy mycelium looks like or how it grows, etc. then it will be harder to assess how a more advanced bulk grow is going.

• onediadem, makinbones69, Tomfa and 1 other like this

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

What tv said
Magic for the masses is pinned right above. Get your feet wet with that. Learn the basics. Keep it simple for the first run. It’s almost foolproof if you can read English.

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

#6 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 688 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

first  post in thread there's a  link for free  PDF book MAGIC FOR THE MASSES

AS  misfit said  follow the PF  tek  to a T no experiments 

https://mycotopia.ne...for-the-masses/

• makinbones69 likes this

#7 LeeMush

LeeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

I have that PDF, i love it, it's great to follow, very informative and very well rounded for that specific tek.

I have seen threads on this very sight swearing by different teks than this pdf. I wondered why.

I will be heading out today's lunch time for some BRF from a local bulk barn or organic store. I know I can grind my own for much much less but for this first batch, ready-milled is just a great starter for a newb to just get things going. 

I think I will start a grow log and put it in my sig for each of the grows I have going (currently 1). I suspect that a BRF tek, to the letter, will surpass the rate of this weirdo 1st grow which is basically an original PF tek using rye berries, verm with the added twist of bat shit. I'm not over the moon about it. A couple lbs of this sub, good for 12 jars worth of pf tek was $80!!! I've clearly been robbed. 

So these other teks, are they literally just people trying new things once they have found their feet in basic grows, and hoping to find something marginally easier or with marginally better returns, or marginally cheaper to start, hoping to get lucky?

#8 buzzkilluton

buzzkilluton

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

PF tek is a good start. A lot of the other teks are tried and true from what I've read. But it all comes down to what you want to try or what is feasible for you. I used Bod's unmodified monotub tek from the Shroomery forums and so far its coming along nicely. I also am using a dub tub shoebox tek and I'm top fruiting some BRF jars. I have different things going so I can pinpoint what works for me and keep using the tek that gets me the best results for my grow room's temperature and humidity variables. Try a few different teks and see what works for you.
69dbba1ed8339619e7930309a1c7888d.jpg7b01af025c69e0a29f348a3176a4c62e.jpg30d3a5064c9655bb7d990536f2d8fa69.jpg6a5d64603448fdd8e738da0aba158d96.jpg

Edited by buzzkilluton, 05 September 2019 - 04:57 PM.

• LeeMush likes this

#9 SacredMountain

SacredMountain

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

Bump

#10 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

Pf Tek is what's recommended to try first because of its success rate. If the steps are followed PF Tek will produce mushrooms. Lowest chance of contams highest chance of success. Although PF Tek doesn't produce a crazy amount of mushrooms, it WILL produce. Other teks are usually bulk methods. WBS, Rye, Popcorn. Mycelium is grown on these and these are broken up and used as "spawn" to inoculate a "bulk" sub. This is riskier, more chance for contamination due to the nutrient rich nature of grains. Good sterile technique is required to accomplish these bulk techniques, but they tend to produce much more fruit if done properly. Some people have great success with bulk right out of the gate, some do not. So it's re commended to "practice" with the simpler PFTek since it's more likely to succeed, then move to bulk with some level of confidence. Once you watch mushrooms grow a few times on cakes it's easy to know how things should look. That being said once you've succeeded a few times you get a concept of what's required, and teks are more loose guides than strict rules. They can be played with and mixed up and changed to see what works best for you, your environment, your circumstances. So PFTek with BRF and verm cakes is a good place to get a good understanding of what's needed and what to look out for with the best chance to actually get fruits from the investment.

My first grow I did PFTek cakes along side cakes as spawn to bulk. Now I've been working exclusively with WBS grains.

Edited by Mush2Learn, 08 September 2019 - 06:25 PM.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 11,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

Although PF Tek doesn't produce a crazy amount of mushrooms, it WILL produce.

IMO it's worth mastering because it makes using my slurry TEK possible, and as far as I know no one has come up with a way to grow more mushrooms faster than than that.

#12 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:47 PM

I wish I had room in my yard to do your wet towel TEK. My dogs would get in that shit though.

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”

#13 Mush2Learn

Mush2Learn

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:56 PM

Pretty sweet Tek TV! I'm gonna use that next spring to set up an outdoor bed.
  • TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!