• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

I inoculated this jar from MidWest with about 4 cc of spores from a vendor supplied spore syringe.  The spore syringe did have visible black spore clumps (I used rest of the spore syringe to inoculate 6 cakes from MidWest 2 days before I inoculated the LC...several of them are starting to show growth)  that I shook the hell out of.

This is what I have 24 hours later.  Have stirred a few times.  Are these spores that I hope will turn invisible soon and into mycelium?  Or has my LC taken a dump in there?? :)

THANKS for any observations.  I am a newbie.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00E7F76E-EB87-4353-A1BC-D04302CE64DA (2).jpeg
  • D2971FB9-5E6A-43DF-AC59-6206D445B29D (2).jpeg
  • E7E7F3D9-1296-418A-A3B6-765AD5985AC6 (1).jpeg
  • A98A056A-9B73-439F-B317-2642AB5CBB15 (1).jpeg

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,417 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

Hard to say without knowing the recipe for the LC. When I make LC at home using malt extract or potatoes, even after I filter it will coagulate muck like that. Particulate matter doesn't mean disaster. In my case, the mycelium eventually eats the muck and in between the puffs of myc the liquid becomes crystal clear. Any cloudiness that remains in the water after myc is visibly growing is not a good sign. 

• Myc and Randys67 like this

#3 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

If you think you will be making LC in the future I’d invest in a magnetic stirrer if you can afford to. They are pretty reasonably priced.

“I’d rather have nothing than have a lie”
  • cappisdelecti and Randys67 like this

#4 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hard to say without knowing the recipe for the LC. When I make LC at home using malt extract or potatoes, even after I filter it will coagulate muck like that. Particulate matter doesn't mean disaster. In my case, the mycelium eventually eats the muck and in between the puffs of myc the liquid becomes crystal clear. Any cloudiness that remains in the water after myc is visibly growing is not a good sign. 

Fantastic coorsmikey and thanks much

#5 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

If you think you will be making LC in the future I’d invest in a magnetic stirrer if you can afford to. They are pretty reasonably priced.

This jar of pre sterilized LC has a magnet stirrer with it and have been using.  Can't see but there is a little plastic pill shaped thing the external magnet spins.  I guess.....:)  Ive stirred it several times and then just realized I contaminated the filters in the lid by turning it sideways to photo.  oooohhh...wwellll..ha

#6 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

I just looked quick honestly

#7 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:09 PM

I just looked quick honestly

I appreciate you looking at all, man.  Thanks

#8 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:39 PM

Yea sorry. Was at work.

• Randys67 likes this

#9 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 676 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:42 PM

It’s only been 24 hrs and it was spores. Just breathe and keep stirring it.

• Randys67 likes this

#10 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

It’s only been 24 hrs and it was spores. Just breathe and keep stirring it.

Thank you brother.   I was hoping.  A stirring I will go.  :)))

#11 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

This is 

This is the "formula" with malt extract.  I honestly don't see MUCH difference today, but the sediment may be getting lighter in color.  Wonder if I should stop stirring for a bit or stir more?  thanks muchly...:)

"4% Proprietary blend of Distilled water, Dextrose (Glucose), Extra Light Malt Extract & Peptone"

#12 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,417 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:22 PM

Spore to LC is still risky. There only needs to be yeast or bacteria cell mixed in with the billions of Mushrooms spores to contaminate a LC. Making several will increase the odds of one working out good, but not a good option when purchase pre-mades. Literally a case of mason jars along with a few additives that cost less than $20 will make you a lifetime supply of LC. Even using clean tissue in a SAB is risky. Once you learn what to look for though, you can visibly see a clean healthy LC. That only comes from seeing lots of nasty ones. I did say that the particulate from the Malt is not necessarily disastrous,  and that its normal for malt to do that. The cloudiness though should clear up when the particulates settle and the myc starts growing. If you have a film on the surface its toast too.

• Myc and Randys67 like this

#13 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,656 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

This is 100% normal to get this sediment with a malt extract LC. You get less of it with a lower percentage like 1% malt. It will go away as the mycelium eats it.

There is no need to stir the LC until there is some good growth. Then once or twice a day for a minute is good.

Edited by sandman, 10 September 2019 - 08:33 AM.

#14 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:56 PM

This is 100% normal to get this sediment with a malt extract LC. You get less of it with a lower percentage like 1% malt. It will go away as the mycelium eats it.

There is no need to stir the LC until there is some good growth. Then once or twice a day for a minute is good.

Thanks so much.  Day 4 and sediment is getting lighter in color, though I don't see any growth yet.  I really appreciate it.

#15 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

THANKS!!  It seems to clear when not stirred, pretty quickly.  Not totally clear, but I guess another few days will tell one way or another (if Im growing unwanted fungi life), huh?  Thanks again.

Spore to LC is still risky. There only needs to be yeast or bacteria cell mixed in with the billions of Mushrooms spores to contaminate a LC. Making several will increase the odds of one working out good, but not a good option when purchase pre-mades. Literally a case of mason jars along with a few additives that cost less than $20 will make you a lifetime supply of LC. Even using clean tissue in a SAB is risky. Once you learn what to look for though, you can visibly see a clean healthy LC. That only comes from seeing lots of nasty ones. I did say that the particulate from the Malt is not necessarily disastrous,  and that its normal for malt to do that. The cloudiness though should clear up when the particulates settle and the myc starts growing. If you have a film on the surface its toast too.

ng

#16 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

And I will invest in a pressure cooker and do it myself, thanks!!!

#17 cappisdelecti

cappisdelecti

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

One good clean agar plate diced & sliced into sterile pint jar of water has enough nutrients to sustain myc for weeks. It is best (for me) to avoid spores based LC and set up an antibacterial agar plate into sterile water and stirred hard overnight to work on dissolving the agar, then to wait 3 days for recovery while continuing to stir (slower) & then use it up as fast as possible.

BTW, don't get magnetic stirrers with the ridge around the center, they click in canning jars no matter how good you try to center the jar.
  • Randys67 likes this

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,791 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

I like these stir bars really well. They track very easily on the domed bottom surface of a canning jar. 

https://www.amazon.c...la-667848848542

As for the residue question, it seems as though you have adequate feedback. It's nothing to worry about. My personal guess is that the "smut" is crashed proteins or something of that nature. I get it in pretty much all media to varying degrees - malt extract recipes exhibit more than other formulas. 

#19 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

Ty brother. Its better. May i ask how long to see mycelium? Been about 5 days. Ty!

#20 Randys67

Randys67

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

Ty capp. Im going to try that!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!